Looking for a laptop with specific hardware

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Looking for a laptop with specific hardware

Post by Noobasaurus »

Hey all. I'm going to buy a laptop soon and I need some help finding cheap ones that have the specs that I want. These are the specs I'm looking for:
- CPU: i7 6700 (or similar)
- GPU: GTX 970 (and 10 series works as well, but just something in this general range - better than 960)
- Memory: At least 8GB, maybe 16GB
- SSD would be nice, but not required

I'm looking to spend no more than $1500 on it, but preferably around $1000. The more intensive things I do are play games (mainly Overwatch and Just Cause 3) and render videos. Yes, I know that Overwatch doesn't need much to run, but I need a lot to run Just Cause 3 and record video while still getting good frames at high settings.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Looking for a laptop with specific hardware

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Why do you want an i7?? For most users a i5 is potent enought. That means if you don't run multiple virtual machines, or do heavy mathematical calculations, compile big projects (no i don't mean conversion from SWBF2 with big),... you can go with an i5.
Instead you can invest your money saved from the expensiv i7 to an SSD and maybe 16GB RAM you'll profit much more from that then the i7.

And the gtx970 is already outdated, so if you want an laptop for the future, take a 1060 or higher.

And just an tipp, from time to time you should renew the thermal compounds.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Thanks! I did actually find these earlier, but after more research about them and their graphics cards, these do seem to be pretty much what I'm looking for. The 1050 Ti is slightly better than my current 960, and these are pretty reasonably priced. I've also had a nice experience with my current Dell that I talked about a few years ago (although last year I switched out the GPU for a GTX 960), so another Dell would be nice.
Anakin wrote:Why do you want an i7?? For most users a i5 is potent enought. That means if you don't run multiple virtual machines, or do heavy mathematical calculations, compile big projects (no i don't mean conversion from SWBF2 with big),... you can go with an i5.
Instead you can invest your money saved from the expensiv i7 to an SSD and maybe 16GB RAM you'll profit much more from that then the i7.
I want an i7 because I currently have an i7 3770 and it's used extensively to render videos. I would like to be able to render and edit videos faster, and I've noticed that this is very dependent on the processor.
Anakin wrote:And the gtx970 is already outdated, so if you want an laptop for the future, take a 1060 or higher.
Not from what I've seen. Still runs most modern games at high settings well, so I don't see any issues. Plus I'm not playing those super intense games anyway, just medium graphics level games.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Noobasaurus wrote:
Anakin wrote:Why do you want an i7?? For most users a i5 is potent enought. That means if you don't run multiple virtual machines, or do heavy mathematical calculations, compile big projects (no i don't mean conversion from SWBF2 with big),... you can go with an i5.
I want an i7 because I currently have an i7 3770 and it's used extensively to render videos. I would like to be able to render and edit videos faster, and I've noticed that this is very dependent on the processor.
That's right. But in case of video rendering i'd go to 16GB RAM as well. That's important for video rendering (in general for all things that work with big data), too.
Noobasaurus wrote:
Anakin wrote:And the gtx970 is already outdated, so if you want an laptop for the future, take a 1060 or higher.
Not from what I've seen. Still runs most modern games at high settings well, so I don't see any issues. Plus I'm not playing those super intense games anyway, just medium graphics level games.
Well in case of mid level games it's still good enough. But i'm pretty sure that the gtx970 can handle all games released this year (Assassins Creed, EA-Front 2) only on medium graphic. And next year only on low settings and in 2 years you need a new graphic card...
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Anakin wrote:That's right. But in case of video rendering i'd go to 16GB RAM as well. That's important for video rendering (in general for all things that work with big data), too.
Yeah, that's a good idea. RAM isn't used as much for video rendering as I thought it would, because when I render videos only 50% of my 24GB is usually used. So I think that 16GB will be good.
Anakin wrote:Well in case of mid level games it's still good enough. But i'm pretty sure that the gtx970 can handle all games released this year (Assassins Creed, EA-Front 2) only on medium graphic. And next year only on low settings and in 2 years you need a new graphic card...
True, although I don't buy games very often - hence I'm not usually playing those modern releases with crazy graphics. So I think that the GTX 970 or the GTX 1050 Ti will suit my needs for at least the next four years.