Zero Editor Runtime Error (XP, Vista, Windows 7/8.x/10) [Solved]

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Re: Zero Editor Runtime Error (XP, Vista, Windows 7/8)

Post by Noobasaurus »

Does ZE work for you? Yes
What edition of Vista or Windows 7/8 are you running? Windows 8
What graphics card are you currently using? AMD Radeon 7570
What's the current driver version of your gfx card? Don't know
Are you running 32 or 64 bit? 64
What version of Microsoft .NET Framework do you currently have installed? 3.5

Well, I decided to double click ZE a few days ago and it opened. No more 3DAnalyze for me!
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Oh my gosh! by moving BF2_modtools to C:/SWBF2_ModTools/ it worked! It was not working immediately before!

This is with my new windows 8.1 desktop!

Edit: weird.. It just stopped working again..

Edit 2: I removed run as admin and xp compatibility mode and it worked again. But my raise up tool isn't working... I can paint, spray, blend, and raise DOWN, but not up.

EDIT 3: I guess that was just one session. It worked the next time I opened it.
xsl2
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: sw bf2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by xsl2 »

Does ZE work for you? NO
What edition of Vista or Windows 7/8 are you running? Windows 7
What graphics card are you currently using? GeForce GT 560TI
What's the current driver version of your gfx card? updated to newest
Are you running 32 or 64 bit? 64
What version of Microsoft .NET Framework do you currently have installed? newest

I make all instructions! and Nothing please help me :(
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

xsl2: In the past, I have had luck through using older graphics card driver versions. My card is the GeForce GTX 550 Ti. One of the working driver versions was 311.06 - I'd recommend trying it out. Here's a link: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHI ... 1106.shtml Make sure to follow the instructions on that page for installing the driver.
xsl2
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by xsl2 »

I searched on nvidia.com It's the oldest graphics card driver version. I have Battlefield 4 so BF 4 won't work on this s*it :P

When I used this: "Change the compatibility mode for ZE" by Win XP SERVICE PACK 2 I SEE THIS COMMAND:

"config.ini" not found, unable to start...

What have i to do with this file? Maybe if I fix it then I won't have to change graphics card driver? My game is located in E:\SWBF2 but the program MOD TOOLS is in: E:\SWBF2_ModTools\

any ideas?

BTW do you know how to take part in SW BF (3) testing game by EA DICE ? I have written to frostbite and dice but no answer. They'll propably break this game so I don't want this.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

When I could not find old drivers from the nvidia site I googled for them. It seems to show you older drivers than nvidia displays.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

xsl2 wrote:BTW do you know how to take part in SW BF (3) testing game by EA DICE ? I have written to frostbite and dice but no answer. They'll propably break this game so I don't want this.
http://dice.se/jobs/quality-analyst-los-angeles/
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Marth8880 wrote:
xsl2 wrote:BTW do you know how to take part in SW BF (3) testing game by EA DICE ? I have written to frostbite and dice but no answer. They'll propably break this game so I don't want this.
http://dice.se/jobs/quality-analyst-los-angeles/
Looks like a fairly solid link. Obviously they can't come out and say "OMFQ SWBF3!H!@#@!!" but DICE testing in LA could be a giveaway.
xsl2
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by xsl2 »

When I used this: "Change the compatibility mode for ZE" by Win XP SERVICE PACK 2 I SEE THIS COMMAND:

What have i to do with this file? Maybe if I fix it then I won't have to change graphics card driver? My game is located in E:\SWBF2 but the program MOD TOOLS is in: E:\SWBF2_ModTools\

any ideas? Is here link to solution in gametoast.com ?
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

This has been brought up several times now and no one has a solution. I'm thinking you may have to allow full access or control to the location of ZE since the newer operating systems have so many security features, don't know.
xsl2
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by xsl2 »

"\BF2_ModTools\data
This folder contains most of the files actually needed to make a working level mod in Battlefront II. These files will be copied to your new mod folder (which ModTools VisualMunge will create, this will also be explained later) DO NOT MODIFY ANY FILES IN THIS FOLDER. VisualMunge will create a copy of this database, and there will be the files that you’ll want to modify.
"
I will reinstall to disc C. I hope it will work with SSD.

EDIT: REINSTALL DIDN't HELP I WILL BUY SECOND COMPUTER FOR 500 EUROS WITH XP system for fu*king low program to create maps xDDDDDDD
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by 501st_commander »

This may be a bump, but you guys may be interested in this.

So I recently wanted to "attempt" to make maps again, well, that lead me here. Backstory aside, I got ZE working in a virtual machine.

Here is the configuration:

Host:
  • Windows 8.1 Pro x64 (Update 1 installed)
  • Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1920x1080p primary monitor
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 2GB (latest drivers installed)
  • VMware Workstation 10.0.1 build 1379776
Guest:
  • Windows 7 HP x64 SP1
  • 4GB RAM
  • Two processor cores
  • 64GB Virtual HHD
  • VMware Tools 9.6.1 build 1378637
  • Accelerate 3D Graphics is ON
  • Display is using Host settings
  • Windowed mode @ 1692x911 resolution
  • .NET v1.0.3705, v1.1.43322, v2.0.50727, v3.0, v3.5, v4.0.30319, x4.5.1
  • C++ Runtime 2005 x86 8.0.61001 and x64 8.0.61000, 2008 9.0.30729.4148 (x86 and x64), 2008 9.0.30429.6161 x64, 2010 10.0.40219 (x86 and x64)
I tried it in a XP VM that I had, as well as installed directly on the host computer with no success.

Image:
http://puu.sh/9oW01/6a9574a0ea.jpg

It seems fully functional.

(yes, I'm back from the dead)

EDIT:

Found something else interesting.

I resized my VM resolution to be the same as my primary monitor (10920x1080), and it stopped working. I haven't been able to test it fully, but it's possible in some configurations ZE doesn't like 1080p resolutions. Also, when ZE is open and the resolution changes, the editor goes black.
Teletubbyterror
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: Working on my first real modification
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Arma 3

Zero Editor Problems

Post by Teletubbyterror »

I know, more zero editor problems, but I searched every where and I cannot find a solution for this. Whenever I try to start zero editor, i get a message that says

"Runtime error, this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way"

What the heck does that mean? I've searched as far as I know to look, but I cannot find anything. Help would be very much appreciated as I have always wanted to mod Battlefront. (I know I'm late to the party but eh what ever)

Thanks again for any help I can get
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Re: Zero Editor Problems

Post by Noobasaurus »

You can try running it as admin or using 3DAnalyze and checking the box "emulate with HwTnL caps" or use the compatibility settings and change them to a Windows XP pack.

Or try opening it again. Sometimes it only does that on its first run.
MrMuffins
Private Recruit
Projects :: FAS
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII Terraria BF3
xbox live or psn: None

Post by MrMuffins »

I can't remember but I thought I read of a vmware and the modtools working. You could try that.

Also what graphics card are you using? I thought it was mostly proven that its the fault of the card. Nvidia (or a specific driver relating to it) will always crash.
Teletubbyterror
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: Working on my first real modification
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Arma 3

Post by Teletubbyterror »

MrMuffins wrote: Also what graphics card are you using? I thought it was mostly proven that its the fault of the card. Nvidia (or a specific driver relating to it) will always crash.
I looked and I am indeed using an Nvidia graphics card. Is there anything I can do at this point other than to buy a new graphics card to fix it?
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

You can try the things that I mentioned if you haven't already.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by razac920 »

I think I had a problem similar to this once, and I managed to fix it by installing every version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable, currently I have 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, and 2013 versions installed, both 32 bit and 64 bit.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Teletubbyterror wrote:
MrMuffins wrote: Also what graphics card are you using? I thought it was mostly proven that its the fault of the card. Nvidia (or a specific driver relating to it) will always crash.
I looked and I am indeed using an Nvidia graphics card. Is there anything I can do at this point other than to buy a new graphics card to fix it?
I have always used Nvidia and ZE has always worked at some point. Just keep track of the driver it works on. Right now ZE works on the latest driver for my card. For some reason it only works if i move the modtools directory so it looks like this:
C:\SWBF2_ModTools\BF2_ModTools
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by Oceans14 »

I have always used Nvidia and ZE has always worked at some point. Just keep track of the driver it works on. Right now ZE works on the latest driver for my card. For some reason it only works if i move the modtools directory so it looks like this:
C:\SWBF2_ModTools\BF2_ModTools
Jumping in with a question here - Are you saying you just created a folder, named it "SWBF2_ModTools" and installed the mod tools package into that? I only ask because this is a possible fix I haven't heard of before. Also, I know you said you have no idea why ZE works with that setup, but what made you think to create another folder in the first place?