Zero Editor Runtime Error (XP, Vista, Windows 7/8.x/10) [Solved]

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Zero Editor Runtime Error (XP, Vista, Windows 7/8.x/10)

Post by Marth8880 »

AnthonyBF2 wrote:Anyway, I have the ZE runtime issue. It only happens on Windows 7. ZE runs perfectly on Windows 10. I have tried all common fixes and have installed numerous redist. packages and .net packages but still, nothing is making is work for Windows 7 (my preferred OS).
Have you tried older GPU driver versions? That's been the big thing for me in the past.
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Marth8880 wrote:
AnthonyBF2 wrote:Anyway, I have the ZE runtime issue. It only happens on Windows 7. ZE runs perfectly on Windows 10. I have tried all common fixes and have installed numerous redist. packages and .net packages but still, nothing is making is work for Windows 7 (my preferred OS).
Have you tried older GPU driver versions? That's been the big thing for me in the past.
I tried numerous, including no drivers (default hardware settings?) and it still didn't fix it.
Lopeta
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: Battle of Dantooine [2003 Clone Wars].
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII-TF2-OW
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Lopeta »

Good afternoon, here we go:

-Does ZE work for you? No
-What edition of Vista/Windows 7/8.x/10 are you running? Windows 7 Professional (64 bit, fresh build)
-What graphics card are you currently using? Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
-What's the current driver version of your gfx card? 430.64
-What version of Microsoft .NET Framework do you currently have installed? 1.1 & 4.7.2

I've already tried several fixes posted in this thread, but nothing works so far:
Changing color quality settings to Highest 32 bit, the 3D-Analyze TnL .bat, rolling back and updating my GPU drivers, installing Microsoft NET Framework 1.1, installing different Microsoft Visual Studio versions, all the screen resolution settings from 800x600 to 1080p in config.ini, various ways to run as administrator, all the compatibility modes, Aero is off, UAC is disabled, tried with both my Steam version of Star Wars Battlefront II and a pirate Battlefront II that has LaunchBF.exe, single-core and multi-core, BF2_modtools located in C:/SWBF2_ModTools, etc.
Mugen works (without vistamugenfix), it's just zeroeditor that keeps giving me a headache.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

I think the problem with ZE not running in Windows 7 might be the .NET Framework 1.1 installation.
I downgraded to Windows 7 Pro from Windows XP SP3 by a clean install with no change in hardware and installed 1.1 as shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8X2rlPnx6I
It appears to install but the .NET 1.1 related paths in the registry look odd compared to Windows 10 where it works fine.
I was seeing "C?\" instead of "C:\" similar as described here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... aae?auth=1
I never did try altering the registry though, I just sidegraded to Windows 10 and it all works.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

This might seem obvious to some people, but I get the runtime error sometimes and then just launch it again and it works
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

In my experience it either worked every time or not at all:
Windows XP SP3 32-bit - worked every time (after installing .NET 1.1 and setting display Color quality settings to Highest 32 bit)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit - never worked
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - works every time (after installing .NET 1.1)
Same hardware with all 3 operating systems.
Lopeta
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: Battle of Dantooine [2003 Clone Wars].
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII-TF2-OW
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Lopeta »

Well, I've tried AceMastermind's suggestion, cmd installing NET Framework 1.1 + SP1 after a clean install and replacing my C?\ entries in RegEdit, I already had C:\ entries and it didn't work.
I guess that all that it's left to do is [strike]down[/strike]upgrade my OS to Win10.
Anyway, thanks for your help!

Edit: I've tried a virtual machine (Oracle VM VirtualBox) with Windows XP and all the drivers and programs required to run SWBF II, didn't work either.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Looks like the man Psych0fred himself fixed it for us back in May. Can anyone who had this error before confirm the fix worked?
http://secretsociety.com/forum/downloads/BF2Docs/
check the zeroeditor download
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

MileHighGuy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:06 am
Looks like the man Psych0fred himself fixed it for us back in May. Can anyone who had this error before confirm the fix worked?
http://secretsociety.com/forum/downloads/BF2Docs/
check the zeroeditor download
Yes, it works. My laptop uses Quadro K4000M which would never run the original ZE no matter what I tried. The updated one provided by Fred works great, I've been using it for about a year now.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Oh that's good. I heard that with the new fix version you are required to add .tga to the end of the texture name to be able to paint with it. Is that true for you?
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

MileHighGuy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:16 pm
Oh that's good. I heard that with the new fix version you are required to add .tga to the end of the texture name to be able to paint with it. Is that true for you?
I cannot remember. I will check later and reply back.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Looks like he updated it again just now to fix that issue I mentioned:

http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/down ... xes_v2.zip

Wow!
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Be care. In the latest Zero Editor update the editor crashes when you enter Anim Mode if there are animation hierarchies set up.

EDIT:

Aaaand fixed!!! Thanks so much fred!!
http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/down ... xes_v3.zip