Tears2Roses tech questions[weird phone SD card glitch p4)

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Tears2Roses tech questions

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Marth is right here; my computer gets around 66-84 while gaming.
Although I'm still looking for ways to make it more cool..
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

You could give it a bowtie? Bowties are cool.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

*Puts bowtie under laptop, GPU cools down five degrees* :shock:
Hidden/Spoiler:
:P
Tears2Roses
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Oh some random stuff who knows
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: PC beats xbox.

Post by Tears2Roses »

You guys are funny :funny2: :lol: I think I will be fine. The game isn't lagging, it just *seems* to be sometimes. Perhaps its not a bug, its a feature! Maybe the controls are supposed to be a bit slow. Either way I should be perfectly fine for now. Thanks for all the help!
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Is it lag or framerate? Cuz there's a difference.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Use Fraps to figure out your framerate.
Tears2Roses
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Tears2Roses »

Whoa...My frame rate seems to be 10-26 according to fraps, and as far as Im aware of thats a really bad/low frame rate. Anything I can do to improve my frame rate?
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by lucasfart »

Depending on the game, that could be about right. I've got the GeForce 9400M G (256 mb) and on most modern games it averages around 15 fps....It all depends on the game though. If this is still BF3, then that's probably what it should be at if you're still playing at high resolutions.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Did you close all background programs while gaming?
lucasfart
Sith
Sith

Post by lucasfart »

If you wanna improve the speed, try downloading Game Booster. It helps by disabling unnecesary background services, optimizing RAM and doing other stuff to speed up your games.

From the link:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote]1-Click Boosting Game Performance Enhanced
Game Booster v3 can easily and fast close background processes and unnecessary Windows services, to speed up your game playing and avoid possible conflicts and incompatibility. With the innovative "Enhanced 3rd parties' services detection" technology, Game Booster v3 can automatically detect and close more unnecessary background services.

Pure Gaming Environment with "Game Desktop" New!
Game Booster 3 now is able to provide you a pure "gaming environment" that leaves only the gaming window on the desktop; thus you will not be disturbed by other programs during your gaming.

Tweaks System for Top PC Performance Enhanced
Game Booster v3 can tweak your PC for the ultimate system and Internet speed with a single click.
Creates Your Own Game Box Enhanced
Add and manage your games in a game box and boost the game automatically with Game Booster 3 when launching.

Diagnose Your System Weakness New!
Game Booster can analyze and generate a report which shows the system weaknesses that affect your gaming experience. You can export the report and send it to our forum so that our experts will provide you the best solutions for your top gaming performance.

Lower Process Priority to Enhance PC Performance New!
By lowering priority of other processes, Game Booster 3 allows more system resources to be used for gaming.

Installs Latest Drivers Enhanced
Add and manage your games in a small box and boost the game automatically with Game Booster v3 when launching.

Defragments Game Files Enhanced
With the improved defragment engine, Game Booster v3 can quickly defragment game directories and files, to make your games load and run faster than ever.

Intellectual Boost module Enhanced
The configurations in Game Booster 3 have been optimized and now it's more intellective. You can check the processes you think unnecessary for games and submit them, then it will give you a user recommended configuration based on the votes.

Detect Games on Steam Enhanced
Game Booster 3 is now able to detect the games on Steam. And you can simply right click the game icon to start it via Game Booster 3.

Intuitive and Vibrant Interface New!
Game Booster 3 takes on a vibrant look that greatly appeals to most gamers. The interface is also intuitive for complete computer beginners.

Safe, Secure, and Free
Game Booster 3 does not overclock your hardware. Game Booster 3 is a freeware, without any virus, adware, and spyware.[/quote]
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Ugh, I tried that program myself one time and it didn't have any impact on any of my games' frame rates.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Marth8880 wrote:Ugh, I tried that program myself one time and it didn't have any impact on any of my games' frame rates.

I'm not surprised. The things Game Booster does don't really affect frame rate. The amount of free RAM or "optimized" RAM means little to frame rate if you already had the required amount of RAM. Closing the background services just frees up more RAM, and like I said RAM means little to frame rate. Lowering the priority of a process just means it will only get the RAM it's asking for if other processes with higher priorities already have the RAM they need, thus "freeing" RAM for gaming use.

This doesn't mean everyone won't get some benefit from a program like Game Booster, but most will only get a couple FPS if anything.

I'll test it myself. I took two control samples from different locations in Mass Effect 2. I got 14-15 FPS at Sample A, and 9-11 FPS at Sample B. I then installed and ran the game with Game Booster. I got 14-15 FPS at Sample A, and 9-11 FPS at Sample B.

And yes, my graphics card is crap so I get low FPS. I'd get a new one, but you know how laptops go. Integrated chipset and all that joy.
Tears2Roses
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Tears2Roses »

ugh....recently the game has been crashing. It just goes from playing to desktop, and from fullscreen to not fullscreen...what could be causing this? This is a problem and it just started this morning. GPU usage was maxed out according to afterburner. Im going to take a break and do HW, reboot, then try playing some more. I dont get any "windows has encountered an error and needs to close" errors, it just goes from playing to desktop.

EDIT: well, after taking a break, and rebooting BF3 plays fine again. I also found that pressing caps lock causes the game to go out of fullscreen. I should be good to go now (again) until something else happens. Also, BF3 isnt lagging anymore. I have to close chrome, and exit out of all background processes, and then im fine. Makes a huge difference not having dropbox, steam, and a few other things open.

EDIT2: Ok, I dropped my phone in water....i know, fail, don't rub it in....But I'm wondering what to do now. At the moment it turns on, but then the screen glitches out, and I cant unlock it. I have put it in some rice, but beyond that I'm not sure what to do. Do you think it will still work once its dried out and is there anything special I should do with my phone?
lucasfart
Sith
Sith

Re: Tears2Roses tech questions[dropped phone in water page 3

Post by lucasfart »

Tears2Roses wrote:I have to close chrome, and exit out of all background processes, and then im fine.
You left chrome open in the background? :faint: That's an almost guaranteed slowdown by 50%. I'm actually amazed at how much cpu usage it takes up, even when it's just idling in the background doing nothing. I've had it take up upto 50% or so of the cpu! I think it's got something to do with flash player...
Tears2Roses wrote:EDIT2: Ok, I dropped my phone in water....i know, fail, don't rub it in....But I'm wondering what to do now. At the moment it turns on, but then the screen glitches out, and I cant unlock it. I have put it in some rice, but beyond that I'm not sure what to do. Do you think it will still work once its dried out and is there anything special I should do with my phone?
http://www.squidoo.com/dropped-iphone-in-water :google:
Leave your phone in the rice for at least 24 hours and preferably 48 hours. Hopefully, after 24 -48 hours the phone will have dried out, the logic board wasn't damaged, and hopefully you can turn your phone on and it will work. If not, your next option is to see if it can be repaired without costing you an arm and a leg.
Good luck with that.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

LOL, I'm sorry but that's extremely hilarious to me. :funny2: but4srs, if your phone has a warranty, which it should, try doing that thing one does with that one thing.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Marth8880 wrote:LOL, I'm sorry but that's extremely hilarious to me.
Why? It seriously sucks when your phone isn't working. :?

@Tears: The rice should solve the problem, good luck with it. :)
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

lucasfart wrote:
Tears2Roses wrote:I have to close chrome, and exit out of all background processes, and then im fine.
You left chrome open in the background? :faint: That's an almost guaranteed slowdown by 50%. I'm actually amazed at how much cpu usage it takes up, even when it's just idling in the background doing nothing. I've had it take up upto 50% or so of the cpu! I think it's got something to do with flash player...

I rarely close Chrome. I only do so when playing Skyrim. Closing it, doesn't change my CPU capabilities much. Right now, I have 22 tabs open. Four of them have literally dozens of gifs, one is a YouTube tab, and a half dozen are deviantART tabs with loads of images on them. I'm playing Mass Effect 3, with no noticeable speed loss. I closed all the tabs, no FPS gained. This is with Rainmeter running as well mind you. Oh, and my computer is pretty weak as well, not super weak mind you. I can play Skyrim, but I usually get 8 FPS, or at the best of times 15 FPS. The Mass Effect games are about the same, but more stable. Skyrim dips down to 5 FPS for a second WAY too often (every few moments, presumably when loading a new cell). Anyway, I digress.

This is mainly due to the fact that usually your computer stops spending CPU power on idle processes. Sure they keep using the RAM, of course. A YouTube tab, for instance, will only use your CPU when buffering the video. Once fully buffered, and the video ends, the CPU usage drops down again. This is viewed easily with the Task Manager, under the Performance section. I'm playing a song on YouTube, but only 25%-35% is being used. I then stopped all of Chrome's processes, and my CPU usage only when down to 16%-20%. If the tab is idle, then the CPU isn't dealing with it.

Long story short, I can't see how Chrome would be constantly taking up 50% of your CPU usage while in idle.
Cerfon Rournes wrote:
Marth8880 wrote:LOL, I'm sorry but that's extremely hilarious to me.
Why? It seriously sucks when your phone isn't working. :?
Well for one, Rosy is a good friend of Marth's and knows when he's joking around. Second, Marth was referring to the rice solution, not the dropping of the cell phone into water.
Last edited by THEWULFMAN on Fri May 04, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tears2Roses
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Tears2Roses »

I know you guys were joking about
Marth8880 wrote:LOL, I'm sorry but that's extremely hilarious to me. :funny2: but4srs, if your phone has a warranty, which it should, try doing that thing one does with that one thing.
so im not offended in any way. After reading that page you posted lucasfart, I did not turn my phone off right away, but I did dry it with a towel. Hopefully when I come back from school today the rice will have dried it out. My phone is an LG smart phone. Anyhow, hopefully im fine. thanks for the help!
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

@WULF: Thanks for the explaination.
@Chrome: For the problem Tears is having, I think it would be better to close Chrome. Here's why. Battlefield needs (RAM wise) 2GB minimum and 4GB maximum to run, right? Tears has a total of 4GB. This being said, he needs to make sure nothing is running in the background to take up much needed RAM.
I opened up Chrome to test the RAM used when more and more tabs were opened.*

My computer idle: 1.37GB.
Chrome loaded (1 tab): 1.58GB.
Chrome loaded (5 tabs): 1.87GB
Chrome loaded (10 tabs): 2.06GB
If you are running a game, you need all the memory you can get, so I don't think you would want Chrome running up the extra.

*For the test I opened up Youtube, Gametoast, Xfire, Wikipedia, and a few other sites. I waited for them to finish loading, then I took down the RAM used in Task Manager.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Cerfon Rournes wrote:@Chrome: For the problem Tears is having, I think it would be better to close Chrome. Here's why. Battlefield needs (RAM wise) 2GB minimum and 4GB maximum to run, right? Tears has a total of 4GB. This being said, he needs to make sure nothing is running in the background to take up much needed RAM.
Understandable, even I close Chrome to play Skyrim(though often fire it up doing playing it to go to the Elder Scrolls Wiki). Though I really don't need to. Skyrim at most has been seen using 1.2GB of my 2.7GB of RAM. I have the RAM to spare.
Cerfon Rournes wrote:I opened up Chrome to test the RAM used when more and more tabs were opened.*

My computer idle: 1.37GB.
Chrome loaded (1 tab): 1.58GB.
Chrome loaded (5 tabs): 1.87GB
Chrome loaded (10 tabs): 2.06GB
If you are running a game, you need all the memory you can get, so I don't think you would want Chrome running up the extra.
It really depends on the game and how much RAM you have. I have 2.7GB of physical RAM, then about oh, 4GB allocated of Virtual RAM. I keep Chrome open almost 24/7, since it's only taking up a couple hundred MB at most. Your numbers are a tad high. They'd go down while Chrome idles.