GPU Overheat, can I still play games?

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Tears2Roses
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Oh some random stuff who knows
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: PC beats xbox.

GPU Overheat, can I still play games?

Post by Tears2Roses »

Hey. I was playing CoD MW3 yesterday, and I overheated my GPU. I could smell a burning plastic smell, and within 5 seconds of smelling that my computer was off (literally, I hit the power bar.) I didn't catch the temperatures when I could smell burning plastic, but they must've been high. The GPU fan was running at full, which is bothering me. Anyhow, I looked inside the case and the card looked fine. Nothing looked burned or scorched or discoloured. Maybe it wasn't the GPU but I'm 99% certain that it was. I looked at the GPU fan and noticed it was dusty, so I took the card out and removed the fan(with the heatsink) and cleaned it out. I cleaned the CPU fan too. Everything is now working and installed correctly. However, the GPU fan still clicks. It had been clicking before I cleaned it. The fan blade is loose, and taps the heatsink when there is an uneven dust layer. I think a bearing(or whatever is holding the fan) is wore. I was unable to tighten or do anything with the fan itself. Also I think the GPU fan stopped turning when I could smell smoke. Anyhow, my question is this: Can I still play games? I would want to play MW3, (however I was playing on lowest settings with max fan speed(the fan was clicking) when the GPU overheated...) Minecraft, SWBF2, and maybe TF2/and various strategy games (civ 4 to name one.) My biggest concern is that while playing minecraft my temps climbed to 60C in less than 30 seconds (yes I know minecraft is resource intensive, that was the point.) Would I be able to play and not overheat if I underclocked my card? I could use Afterburner to do that. I just enjoy playing my games and I do not care for visuals that much. Anyhow, in all honesty, I dont want a fire, so I could give up games. But before I do that I just thought I would ask GT what your opinions were and what I should do. Currently my GPU is idling at 43C, and the fan is not clicking. I think thats 5C cooler than before, so cleaning the fan did help. my CPU/etc. temps (acording to speed fan) are between 20-45C, so thats good too. My card is the Nvidia GeForce 9500 GS. It has a really cheap fan on it (imo) for cooling. The fan blade itself is about 2-3 inches diameter , the heatsink is about 7 inches long, and all of it is roughly a quarter inch thick. Hopefully this helps you guys come to a conclusion.

offtopic:
Hidden/Spoiler:
On a side note I was sweating like CRAZY trying to clean the fan and put the screws back in. I thought I would :faint: (faint) at one time. However, I did clean the fans, and it is all installed correctly and running fine. I used my vaccum to blow air (it blows are very "gently" so I did not hurt anything) through the heatsink and as a result I ate dust :lol:. But yeah, everything is installed correctly and dust bunny free, so I feel good :D
/offtopic
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: GPU Overheat, can I still play games?

Post by Marth8880 »

You could purchase a new heatsink and/or fan for your GPU.

http://URL Shorteners are disallowed on Gametoast. Use direct links only./NrMwn3
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Yep, that's what I would do, too. Take a look at this video if you've never done it before. While you're at it i would go down to the GPU, clean it, use QUALITY thermal paste, reassemble. See the video for more detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s79LgytSJRI
Tears2Roses
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Tears2Roses »

Alright, I will do that or I will get a new GPU. For now should I be OK to play games?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

I don't think playing any older games such as Battlefront would cause any real problems. Download and install MSI Afterburner; it has a GPU temp, fan speed, etc. monitor as an in-game overlay (like Fraps, but more than just FPS); plus, if your card supports it, you can underclock it to lower its temperature! :o More info on Afterburner can be found here.
Teancum wrote:Yep, that's what I would do, too. Take a look at this video if you've never done it before. While you're at it i would go down to the GPU, clean it, use QUALITY thermal paste, reassemble. See the video for more detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s79LgytSJRI
Yep. I (as well as most everyone) recommend Arctic Silver 5.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Tears2Roses wrote:Alright, I will do that or I will get a new GPU. For now should I be OK to play games?
You absolutely, positively should not burden your GPU if you're having fan noise or overheating. Get it fix.

In other words, no. :(
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Marth8880 wrote: Yep. I (as well as most everyone) recommend Arctic Silver 5.
I used IC Diamond thermal paste. :P
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0391498
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote]IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound maximizes thermal heat transfer between the CPU core and heatsink by taking advantage of diamond's superior thermal conductivity. Purified synthetic diamond has a thermal conductivity of 2,000-2,500 W/mK compared to 406-429 W/mK for pure silver. Diamond's five times better thermal conductivity compared to silver makes it a superior heat transfer material for cooling high performance CPUs and is electrically non-conductive and non-capacitive.[/quote]
Tears2Roses
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Tears2Roses »

Teancum wrote:
Tears2Roses wrote:Alright, I will do that or I will get a new GPU. For now should I be OK to play games?
You absolutely, positively should not burden your GPU if you're having fan noise or overheating. Get it fix.

In other words, no. :(
Ok. Is CoD to much for the GPU on lowest settings? I will monitor temperatures and framerate for one game and see what the mins/max are.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Let's put it this way:
Play games now, burn out GPU permanently, can't play games for a long time until it's replaced which costs a moderate amount of money.

OR

Don't play games now, fix GPU for significantly less money than a replacement, play games for a long time later.
Tears2Roses
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Tears2Roses »

Well I think I actually may be ok, for now. here is the benchmark results and video options in MW3:
Hidden/Spoiler:
video options:
screen res: 1600 x 1024
specular/shadows/ambient oclusion: off
texture res/quality: low
screen refresh rate: 60
no anti aliasing/other filtering.
Bullet impacts: on
everything I missed was turned off or low.

Min GPU temp: 44C
Max GPU temp: 57C
Min framerate: 65
Max framerate: 92

Fan speed: 100%
Core and shader clock: 550 mhz (default in Afterburner, I did not adjust the clocks.) This is a single, 5 minute benchmark ingame multiplayer.
I want a new computer/gaming rig tbh. I would purchase a GTX 550 Ti online, and the gaming system itself (bottom right spec) costs $1400. So $1600 (over estemate) for a gaming rig. The tower would probably cost less because I wouldnt be buying speakers/keyboard/mouse/AMD card( the GTX 550 supports VGA for my monitor ) THe only reason I havent done this yet is I dont have a lot of money and my parents dont feel like buying it now.

So to sum everything up, I guess if im careful, and monitor what I do, I will be fine. My current system isnt bad its just old for playing BF3/resource intensive activities. ( I will not touch BF3 until I upgrade my system or replace fan. )

Current system specs:
MS windows vista home premium 64 bit SP2
Intel core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40 ghz
4 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9500 gs
300 watt power supply
and I don't know which motherboard but thats probably irrelevant. So yeah, I should be fine.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

So... you ask us if you can still play games... more than one of us has told you that it's a bad idea... and then you go ahead and play games, anyway.

Why did you make this topic, again?
Tears2Roses
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Tears2Roses »

I wasnt sure if I should use my GPU or not, and a general discussion helps me come to a consensus. I haven't been playing a lot of games, in fact I just touched MW3 to do a quick benchmark. The point was to confirm or deny whether or not I should use my GPU and steps I could take to make it work better. I probably wont play any games as I will be busy on my farm anyhow so yeah. thanks for the fast replies everyone!
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Yeah, again -- don't play any modern games at all. Maybe a few minutes wouldn't hurt, BUT a few minutes ALWAYS turns into a half an hour or more, which will do permanent damage (if it's not already torched as it is).
Tears2Roses
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Tears2Roses »

Teancum wrote:Yeah, again -- don't play any modern games at all. Maybe a few minutes wouldn't hurt, BUT a few minutes ALWAYS turns into a half an hour or more, which will do permanent damage (if it's not already torched as it is).
Couldnt have said it better. I will not be playing modern games. In fact I will be modding more so now than before. expect some weird project in the distant future.

EDIT: My friend gifted me portal 1 and 2 since it was on sale on steam!! (and I asked him too, lol. And I absolutely could not turn down that offer, $8 for both games compared to 30). I have a question though, will I be able to play those ok? AFAIK the games are not resource intensive and I know they are really good.

EDIT2: well I should've looked at www.canyourunit.com before posting the above edit. Anyhow, both games require a minimum 128 mb of video memory and my card is 512mb so I should be fine.