UDK easy to use ?

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

R2SS
Private Recruit
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

UDK easy to use ?

Post by R2SS »

Just thinking of using udk to get the basic experince in making basic game structures etc..

Anyone tried using it before ? And is it simple to use or complicated ?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: UDK easy to use ?

Post by Marth8880 »

No. It's incredibly difficult to use. Chances are you'd be better off with CryENGINE 3; its editor is tons more powerful anyway and features real-time rendering for true results.
R2SS
Private Recruit

Post by R2SS »

Is that a much more simpler engine ?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

I wouldn't say it's simpler; in fact, it's probably more complex. The term that I would use is more "user-friendly".
R2SS
Private Recruit

Post by R2SS »

Thanks for the feeback :)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

I'd disagree on the UDK thing. It's all about what you can wrap your brain around. I've been familiar to some extent with Unreal for some time and I find it incredibly intuitive in relation to its power -- at least as far as game engines go.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Meh. I just personally hate the editor with a deep, thriving passion. It should not be that difficult to figure out how to move the stupid camera.
the best
Private First Class
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim

Post by the best »

In my opinion, the UDK has a larger learning curve as far as beginning in game creation goes. Also it's compatibility is an issue for me as I like to use a mac the majority of the time. I've found that Unity3d is really amazing for beginning in game creation, as well as an experienced tool for advanced users, it also doesn't take a powerful computer at all to run. On the other hand, UDK is very powerful and capable of pushing out very beautiful games such as Infinity Blade I & II. I agree with Teancum when he says it's about what you can wrap your brain around. Personally, it took a while for me to wrap mine around UDK :P though my beginning experience was with Unity3d because it was compatible with a load of programming languages and assets, something that I needed earlier on because I had little knowledge in programming. When I started getting more used to Unity3d and game creation in general, I felt far more confident in understanding UDK and took a few more ganders at it. If simplicity is what you want, Unity3d has all that, with drag and drop stuff a lot of the time. Hope that helps :)
R2SS
Private Recruit

Post by R2SS »

Thanks, i will give that a look into. I've been using the Cryengine recently and that is abit more simpler than udk (my opinion) .

But yes i'll give unity a go as i am just beginning to learn about this stuff.