PSA: Windows 8 on Laptops

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

PSA: Windows 8 on Laptops

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Just attempted a dual boot install on my laptop and ran across this issue:

Do not install Windows 8 on a laptop if you are running a system with an Intel HD graphics card /unless/ you have access to an external monitor and a VGA cable.

Intel's display drivers don't play nice with W8, it seems, and it doesn't read the laptop's monitor as a valid display. However, for some reason, it works just fine if you hook up to a secondary display via VGA. Awaiting a driver update to see if they fix it.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: PSA: Windows 8 on Laptops

Post by Marth8880 »

Interesting, and thanks for letting us know. Argh, I love how a Windows 8 Pro license is only 50 FREAKIN DOLLARS!!! :runaway: I think I'll pick myself up a license sometime within the next month or so.

Also, I'm surprised that your Alienware laptop doesn't have a normal dedicated graphics card. All that power but no bueno? :o If, of course, that's the laptop you're talking about. Heh, I don't even think Alienware builds computers that don't come with dedicated cards...
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: PSA: Windows 8 on Laptops

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

I got Win8 Pro for free, cuz I'm a CS major :D

And actually, I haven't tried to install it on my Alienware. It's got a nice, shiny, ATI Radeon HD in it. This was on my smaller Dell Inspiron laptop.