Good free 2d animation program?

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Good free 2d animation program?

Post by Zapattack1234 »

Hey guys I have a quick question does anyone here have any experience with 2d animation or know a good free program? I am in the process of writing and sketching characters for an animated series on YouTube, and this is the most important part of the project
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Good free 2d animation program?

Post by Marth8880 »

Pencils/charcoal, paper, and a light table. ;) Though a light table isn't free, but STILL!

Heh, really though, what's wrong with old-fashioned animation? :? If you really don't wanna do it, you could actually just use a program such as Softimage (student license is free) or Blender and set up an orthographic camera. You'd probably want to give the actors and props in the scene cartoon-ish, canvas-like materials but overall it would probably really be the easiest option if you think about it. Plus, I could help you if you need. :)
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Re: Good free 2d animation program?

Post by Zapattack1234 »

Thanks for the help Marth :D . I have considered believe it or not using the old fashion pen and paper technique, just wasn't sure if it was my best option