So I just had something weird happen with a Windows Update.

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

So I just had something weird happen with a Windows Update.

Post by Fusion »

I shut down my laptop earlier using the Update version of the Shut Down button. Everything went normal, it powered down after the update was applied. When I turned it back on a few hours later, it started applying the update again at the boot screen, also like normal.

When it finished, the chime noise that 7 makes as you get to the profile login screen was a few seconds early, still showing up during a black screen. When the login screen showed up a few seconds later, it prepared to configure my computer, which is also normal behavior. However, once it finished and I input my password, instead of saying "Welcome" with a spinning wheel next to it, it instead said "Preparing your Desktop."

Thinking this update did something involving desktop graphics or something, I left the room for a few seconds to wait it out. When I returned, I was greeted by a black desktop background, the only icon was the Recycle Bin, a glitched taskbar that was partially the classic style, partially the 7 style, and some error message coming from next to the clock that was partially off screen and said something along the lines of "Error locating C:\\Windows something system32." An "illegal operation" box was in the center of the screen saying a similar message as the one that was in the corner. Due to my previous experience with user profiles disappearing, I admit I panicked and forcefully shut down the laptop.

When it powered back on, the "Windows was not properly shut down" screen showed up like normal. I selected "Start Windows Normally," not having enough technical know-how to even use Safe Mode anyway. It continued to progress normally, however, the chime noise again appeared to quickly. It brought me to the login screen, I input my password, and thankfully everything operated as it usually did when signing me in.

So now I'm sitting here wondering what just happened. I backed up all of my files to their recent version out of terror already, and now I don't know what to expect. The freezes I've previously reported here have been happening less frequently since the cleaning I gave the fans, and the past few have happened months apart from each other with the last happening on the 9th of this month. Should I be worried?

If anyone else has ever experienced something like this before, please let me know whether or not this is just a fluke or some sort of early warning that something critical is going to fail. Thanks in advance.
Loopy53
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Earth Apocalypse
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2 bf3 cod
xbox live or psn: Dont have one

Re: So I just had something weird happen with a Windows Upda

Post by Loopy53 »

I wouldnt freak out yet, especially sicne once you re-booted it works fine (or at least at the moment it work fine). Could be a graphics glitch, but the windows update and system 32 error would do it too. Should be fine, just monitor all your critical hardware.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I'm mostly upset because I just bought a replacement 360 and a Wii U this year. If I need to get another computer too, I'd effectively be broke until next year at this time.

Hopefully it was just something random.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

If "turning it off and on again" fixed it, it was probably just a random unrepeatable error. I wouldn't worry about it if you get through the week without any more errors.