Radeon HD 7850 problem

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Webster27
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: The Republic Commando Mod
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Radeon HD 7850 problem

Post by Webster27 »

So, I have a problem with my new bought Radeon HD 7850, my friend(who's better with computers than me^^) and me deinstalled my old nvidia 9500gt passiv and took it out and built in the new one.Started the computer up, no problem, when it was on I didn't really notice any difference, so we tested it on BF3, which I played on "Low" with my old nvidia, but now the game didn't even start properly. So we looked for a problem and found out that the graphic card didn't get any power at all, my power supply is 300W and the graphic card says it needs 500W but I thought that it wouldn't be such a big problem. So my biggest question is if it's got to do with the power supply or maybe even with the mainboard, I appreciate all help I can get :|
Details:
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
RAM: 2gb ddr2
Prozessor: Intel core 2 quad Q8400
Graphic Card: Before: Nvidida 9500gt passiv ---> New: Radeon HD 7850
Loopy53
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Earth Apocalypse
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2 bf3 cod
xbox live or psn: Dont have one

Re: Radeon HD 7850 problem

Post by Loopy53 »

yikes...... 300 watt power supply when it needs 500 watts. Definately upgrade the powersupply, to at least 500 watts, if not 650. Its no wonder your card isnt getting any power, im amazed your pc even starts! I would INVEST in your powersupply, it will pay off. Go with corsair, its generally the best.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6817139020
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Loopy53 wrote:Go with corsair, its generally the best.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6817139020
Or with Thermaltake if you're on a smaller budget.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

In my experience power supplies are a dime a dozen. People recommend this or that brand, but really all it needs is a good reputation/reviews. Most that have poor reviews have a bad voltage regulator, and thusly when the power supply goes the regulator allows too much voltage to go to the mainboard, cards, etc and fries them. You should never have to spend the equivalent of USD $100 for a power supply.

Me? I've used Hercules and generics for years and have never had a problem. The only PSUs I've seen that truly have bad regulators are the ones eMachines uses. I've had a ton of those come to me completely fried.

Oh, and I would recommend going ~50w more than recommended. This ensures that when power usage would be maxed out that there's a bit to spare. (Side note, this is a REALLY important thing when buying a car battery. Always get a battery with about 15-25% more cold cranking amps than recommended)

Always hit up Pricewatch for the best prices. For example, there's a nice Topower supply for ~55 USD. Vendors post their best price there, and sometimes it's a price you can only get that price by clicking through Pricewatch.

http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/power ... _case/550w
Webster27
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by Webster27 »

Thanks guys, but I'm still wondering that there wasn't any power on the graphic card at all. I'll have a good look around :thumbs:
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

If it wasn't getting power you wouldn't see even a Windows display. Simple as that. The theory that it's not getting power is, to be frank, wrong.
Webster27
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by Webster27 »

True, well thanks.I'll post what I did when it works. :)
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Teancum wrote:The only PSUs I've seen that truly have bad regulators are the ones eMachines uses. I've had a ton of those come to me completely fried.
Well that's pretty much because eMachines are complete crap. :p
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
Teancum wrote:The only PSUs I've seen that truly have bad regulators are the ones eMachines uses. I've had a ton of those come to me completely fried.
Well that's pretty much because eMachines are complete crap. :p
Yep. My brother wanted to buy one 'cause they're cheap. I said that was fine, but I would have to install a different PSU, which would both void the warranty and cost anywhere from 50-100 dollars more.