XSI Mod Tool 7.5 crashes on startup

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

XSI Mod Tool 7.5 crashes on startup

Post by CressAlbane »

This is a bit of a strange issue, since I have successfully run XSI Mod Tool 7.5 on my computer before. It's been a while since I ran it, however. Anyway, I recently tried to launch the software, but it crashed after showing me the splash screen and the skeleton of a user interface. I am pretty sure I have all required materials, such as redistributables. At first I thought this was an issue with improperly installing ZETools, so I removed them, but removing ZETools and then a full uninstall/reinstall of XSI Mod Tool 7.5 did not remove the crashing issue.
Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing this?
Loopy53
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Earth Apocalypse
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2 bf3 cod
xbox live or psn: Dont have one

Re: XSI Mod Tool 7.5 crashes on startup

Post by Loopy53 »

Most likely a program interfering with normal operation. Try checking your anti virus settings and closing background programs, or googleing programs that interfere with softimage mod tool 7.5
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by CressAlbane »

I closed nearly every background program I could safely close, and temporarily disabled my anti-virus (AVG), but the crash still occurred. I think AVG could be causing a problem since I know I installed it since my last successful run of Mod Tool. I'm going to try looking into AVG a bit more.
Tried disabling AVG in a different way and I think it is not the culprit. Any other ideas?
Loopy53
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Earth Apocalypse
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2 bf3 cod
xbox live or psn: Dont have one

Post by Loopy53 »

Try putting softimage mod tool 7.5 as an exception in AVG. Even though you closed it, it might still be running silently in the background and may be crashing a .dll or .exe. Other than that, not sure. What are your system specs?
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Did you recently upgrade your gfx card driver or run a registry cleaner by chance?

Have a look at Stephen Blair's first reply in this thread.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by CressAlbane »

I have recently done both. However, changing the default layout file did not remove the crash. Also, after running runonce.bat, I still have the crash. In the log for it, though, it seems like the .bat was unable to load two DLL's:

Code: Select all

oleaut32.dll: Registration failed; Result == E_ACCESSDENIED
dispex.dll: Registration failed; Result == E_ACCESSDENIED
The second one certainly seems like it could be causing a display issue. I'm going to try updating my display drivers anyway; will report back when I've done that.
My card is a nVIDIA GeForce 525M.
EDIT: Just updated them; crash still occurs. I don't think it's even trying to draw an OpenGL port now (although I could have missed one, since that post was for a different Softimage product, but I don't think I did.)
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: The Map has no name so see alpha
Games I'm Playing :: Crysis Battlefront
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by noMatt »

Run the runonce.bat as admin
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Registry Cleaners usually aren't good for Softimage since they remove important entries needed for the software to function, runonce.bat can restore them though.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by CressAlbane »

I think I ran it as an administrator. I launched the Autodesk cmd as an admin, but I'm not sure if there's any tag I need to add to the runonce.bat call to run that as an administrator.
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: The Map has no name so see alpha
Games I'm Playing :: Crysis Battlefront
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by noMatt »

any updateto this? And onther tipp: Sometimes the c++ redistrubables are not installed properly. Try to reinstall them (i recommend to install 2005 x86 and x64, 2008 x86 and x64 and 2010 x86 and x64) And if nothing helps then you could try to install the real softimage just getting an account here http://students.autodesk.com/ (but you half to be a student). Then Try to install the 2012 version (2013 and 2014 are not old enough for ZETools :D ) So just install them if the redistrubables are not fixing anything :)
Hope you can get it to run soon
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by CressAlbane »

Looks like this could be describing the problem. Amazingly, he didn't give the needed registry values for Windows 7 64-bit after all that. Does anyone here have a Windows 7 64-bit computer that can give me those registry values?

EDIT: There actually might be nothing wrong with the values, but it would be nice to be able to check them.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Have you tried reverting your GFX card drivers? I recently updated mine and it caused my Modtool 7.5 to crash whenever I clicked in the scene viewing area... thingies... but reverting the drivers allowed it to work again.
Then again, you said you're using a nVIDIA and mine is ATI so the problems may not be the same.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Yeah, rolling back drivers is almost always a good solution for these types of problems, regardless of GPU chipset manufacturer.