Adobe moves to the Cloud

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Adobe moves to the Cloud

Post by Marth8880 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtzQo_ZMFrY

Basically, Adobe products are now subscription based and actually affordable now. $10/mo for PhotoShop? You kidding? That's incredible! And $30/mo (or something) for the entire Master Collection?!? Man!

But yeah, freakin' awesome stuff.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Re: Adobe moves to the Cloud

Post by guru »

$120 a year for just photoshop a software that 99.9% of everyone I know has "for free". Subscriptions are also coming for windows updates. These platforms will both fail in my opinion. It doesn't seem right to bill monthly on software that you used to be able to buy once install unlimited times for years, I still use fireworks mx for instance. Oh well guess we shall see. Not excited
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: The Map has no name so see alpha
Games I'm Playing :: Crysis Battlefront
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by noMatt »

ive bought a student versioan of cs6, and i am not going to support adobe in this new selling concept. photoshop is expensive enough theres definitivly no chances that hobbyists can pay 30$ or more a month. and my problem is, adobe can do the following: you subscirbe to CC amd then they increase the prices. and then you have to pay more in order to keep using it. thats horrible
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

noMatt wrote:and my problem is, adobe can do the following: you subscirbe to CC amd then they increase the prices. and then you have to pay more in order to keep using it. thats horrible
So stop paying for it and attempt to boycott them if they do that. :P
noMatt wrote:ive bought a student versioan of cs6, and i am not going to support adobe in this new selling concept. photoshop is expensive enough theres definitivly no chances that hobbyists can pay 30$ or more a month.
PhotoShop is $20/mo; if these "hobbyists" know anything about budgeting their money, they have nothing to worry about.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

It's kinf of a slap in the face that over years it will end up costing way more and who wants another monthly bill or account that can "accidentally" get hacked every week like Sony,steam etc no thanks ill run my 100,990 business on this 2004 macro media mx cd. Hope their stock drops by going this route.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Spend a few hundred dollars a year to get all of Adobe's products, updated to the newest version with no extra cost.

-or-

Spend a grand every 1-2 years to buy the same products and keep up with Adobe's updates.

Only one option makes sense to me.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

CS6 = $2,000

In the cloud, CS6 = $50/mo * 12mo = $500/yr

CS1 (2003)
CS2 (2005)
CS3 (2007)
CS4 (2008)
CS5 (2010)
CS6 (2011)

If Adobe released a new Creative Suite roughly every 2 years, you are literally saving $1,000 each version by subscribing to the cloud.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Marth8880 wrote:CS6 = $2,000

In the cloud, CS6 = $50/mo * 12mo = $500/yr

CS1 (2003)
CS2 (2005)
CS3 (2007)
CS4 (2008)
CS5 (2010)
CS6 (2011)

If Adobe released a new Creative Suite roughly every 2 years, you are literally saving $1,000 each version by subscribing to the cloud.
Totally. Everyone seems to be complaining about the cost when, in reality, it's actually a lot cheaper. I bought the CS6 Design & Web student version a few months back and I wish I had gotten CC.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Marth8880 wrote:If Adobe released a new Creative Suite roughly every 2 years, you are literally saving $1,000 each version by subscribing to the cloud.
Dohnutt wrote:Totally. Everyone seems to be complaining about the cost when, in reality, it's actually a lot cheaper. I bought the CS6 Design & Web student version a few months back and I wish I had gotten CC.
There are a few things at play here, and not everyone's situation is the same. Possibilities that may exist:

1) User doesn't upgrade to the newest version every time one comes out.
2) User has software purchased for them by educational institution/place of work
3) User prefers to "own" software rather than maintaining a lease

I don't really use Adobe products (at least not the professional-level ones), but #2 especially I could sympathize with. Sometimes it's a tacit part of a benefits package to get software for a job, and it's nice to be able to have that software in perpetuity.
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: The Map has no name so see alpha
Games I'm Playing :: Crysis Battlefront
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by noMatt »

Yes i bought Photoshop Student but this was a one time investment. I dont have to pay for anything now, and i dont think that i upgrade soon. And since everything is in the Cloud i wont upgrade at all.
If the normal photoshop selling concept would still be there i think i would buy cs 10 again :)