Best Free Anti-virus software

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Best Free Anti-virus software

Post by Noobasaurus »

I recently figured out why my computer had been crashing and some other things. It's because my current anti-virus software, Kaspersky, isn't compatible with Windows 8.1. I should've stayed at 8 but I like some stuff about 8.1. Does anyone know of a free alternative anti-virus program?
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Re: Best Free Anti-virus software

Post by MileHighGuy »

I use avast! it seems to be doing its job pretty well.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Microsoft Security Essentials and avast! are both fantastic.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Definitely go Microsoft Security Essentials.

It's free, it's one of the best security programs on the market, and it updates automatically through Windows Update with the rest of the computer so you don't have to mess with it.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Thanks guys. Anyone know off the top of their head how to get to the list of programs that run at startup? I remember typing in something in the Start menu to get a giant list of running programs and things. It wasn't Task Manager or the Startup services there. Okay, so not just startup programs, but all of them that can run and are manual or automatic.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Type "msconfig" into the Start menu search. Should be a tab that says "Startup".
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

I wonder that Kaspersky isn't compatible. I use GData (that's from Kaspersky) and this is compatible. Have you contacted the support about it??
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Type "msconfig" into the Start menu search. Should be a tab that says "Startup".
I did that before and it was similar to the list that I wanted but not the same. The services tab is what I wanted and I finally remembered what it was called: services.msc. Thanks!
Anakin wrote:I wonder that Kaspersky isn't compatible. I use GData (that's from Kaspersky) and this is compatible. Have you contacted the support about it??
I haven't contacted support about it, but I've seen some forum topics on it and a lot of them say that KIS uses some sort of engine that doesn't like Win 8.1 for some reason.

I've turned off KIS for now and am using Windows Defender (AKA MSE). I feel vulnerable.
the best
Private First Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by the best »

The free version of Malwarebytes is one of the best. I use it for every computer tune-up I do for people who need it.

https://www.malwarebytes.org

And while we're on this topic, do you use CCleaner? It has always helped boost the speed of my computers either a little or a lot, and it also let's you view all your startup programs and add/remove them. There's a bunch more features too.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Feeling frisky? This website will let you download all that stuff everyone's mentioned and way more all in one installer (minus ccleaner) it's a pretty swell service if you ask me, though I'm in the business of dealing with a lot of tasks at once, so this website is a great timesaver for lot's and lot's of tedious setups. Still pretty cool even if it doesn't fit your alley.

https://ninite.com
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Noobasaurus wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:Type "msconfig" into the Start menu search. Should be a tab that says "Startup".
I did that before and it was similar to the list that I wanted but not the same. The services tab is what I wanted and I finally remembered what it was called: services.msc. Thanks!
Anakin wrote:I wonder that Kaspersky isn't compatible. I use GData (that's from Kaspersky) and this is compatible. Have you contacted the support about it??
I haven't contacted support about it, but I've seen some forum topics on it and a lot of them say that KIS uses some sort of engine that doesn't like Win 8.1 for some reason.

I've turned off KIS for now and am using Windows Defender (AKA MSE). I feel vulnerable.

i'd contact the support. I had problem with windows 7 sp1 and GData (everytime i started a game the pc crashed with bluescreen. it took me month to find out that GData causes the problem). I contacted them and after some weeks i got an update package from them. I installed and all worked fine.