Ubuntu 14.04, Windows and HDD issues

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Ubuntu 14.04, Windows and HDD issues

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Here is the issue:

I have a computer in which the hard drive has some issues and Windows cannot be installed because during installation hard drive cannot be detected. Without detecting it, I cannot control or format partitions.

So in order to use the computer I had to find an alternative. I got Ubuntu 14.04 installed to an external drive which allows me to use the computer.

The goal is to make the hard drive work correctly again so I can install Windows back onto it.

I need some sort of program for Ubuntu/Linux that can forcefully detect the internal drive and allow me control once again to format, or mess with partitions.

I also have no clue how to use anything on Ubuntu, so any replies will have to have all possible details.

Thank you! :yes:
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Ubuntu 14.04, Windows and HDD issues

Post by Marth8880 »

Check out GParted, I've used it many times in the past to reformat bad drives.

http://gparted.org/