Windows 10

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Windows 10

Post by Noobasaurus »

If you didn't know, Windows 10 officially came out yesterday and will be free to people using 7 or 8 for a year (not including enterprise). You can get it here or click the button that might appear on your taskbar: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

I just installed it and I am quite pleased with it so far. I like the features from 7 and 8 and it feels really nice. It also kept everything that I had, and all my programs are working flawlessly so far. Thoughts?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Windows 10

Post by Marth8880 »

I've secured my copy for my desktop and my laptop. I'm gonna wait about a year to upgrade on my desktop, and I'm still waiting for the update to be pushed to my laptop, which I'll use to test out the OS itself.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

I'm worried that if I update zeroeditor wont work
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

ZE seems to work on a per computer basis, but who knows if it'll still work. Mine still does.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Marth8880 wrote:I've secured my copy for my desktop and my laptop. I'm gonna wait about a year to upgrade on my desktop, and I'm still waiting for the update to be pushed to my laptop, which I'll use to test out the OS itself.

you can force your laptop to upgrade.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Anakin wrote:you can force your laptop to upgrade.
Yeah, just did. :) I'm loving it so far, and it's been seamless throughout.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

I'm waiting for the new intel skylakes, buy a new Desktop PC (with Win 10), copy all files from my Notebook the new PC, kill Notebook and make a clean install. So it'll take a while untill i install win10. But i already tried the previews from the inside program with an VM.

Just noticed that i'm an GT VIP now. Never felt so, but it's a honor to have the same rank as DarthD.U.C.K.

==EDIT==

ok Windows forced me to upgrade now, so i'm on Win10 now :D

There are a few things i don't like:
1. Window color was removed. There is no way now to see wheather the window is acitve or not.
2. right klick on programs in the taskbar does not work
3. i cannot open the infocenter (leftklick on clock,... does not work)
4. Edge does not support my fingerprinter :x
5. It takes very Long to boot, i get a black screen for a long time.
6. Windows takes always my bad graphiccard and i can only switch to the good one for some programs (i'm sure that's the Problem for 5)
7. my mouse does not work (It's a WiFi direct Mouse. It always makes trouble)

What do you think about Win10??

==EDIT2==

has anyone tried 3D builder?? I think it's something for printing 3d models. It opens .obj files and many more. Who wants to have a SWBF2 trooper printed XD
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Anakin wrote:1. Window color was removed. There is no way now to see wheather the window is acitve or not.
The three icons in the top right of the window will be grey if it is not active. Also, you can look at the taskbar to see if it is active.
Anakin wrote:2. right klick on programs in the taskbar does not work
It does work. I don't know why it's not working for you.
Anakin wrote:3. i cannot open the infocenter (leftklick on clock,... does not work)
I don't know why it's not opening for you, but I can open things by left and right clicking on the clock. However, I'm not very familiar with infocenter.
Anakin wrote:4. Edge does not support my fingerprinter
I recommend Google Chrome.
Anakin wrote:5. It takes very Long to boot, i get a black screen for a long time.
This may be because of your computer specs.
Anakin wrote:6. Windows takes always my bad graphiccard and i can only switch to the good one for some programs (i'm sure that's the Problem for 5)
There might be a way to fix this, perhaps in graphics or settings somewhere.
Anakin wrote:7. my mouse does not work (It's a WiFi direct Mouse. It always makes trouble)
You may need to go into your network settings and see if you can connect it from there.
Anakin wrote:What do you think about Win10??
I think that it's great. The unlimited virtual desktops are quite nice. To me, it's better than 8 and 7.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Noobasaurus wrote:
Anakin wrote:5. It takes very Long to boot, i get a black screen for a long time.
This may be because of your computer specs.
I can confirm this one's not just him. I went from a 5 second boot time on Windows 7 to a close to 2 minute boot time on Windows 10.
Everything else is great, and I don't shut my computer down often, anyway (mpost updates that reboot my computer happen in the middle of the night when I'm not actively waiting at my PC for it to start back up). But it seems to be a significant percentage of Windows 10 users are experiencing this as well. Something about the "hybrid startup" not playing nice with certain hardware. Not slow or old hardware, either, just certain hardware.

There are lots of articles out there with "fixes" but a lot of 'em say different things and I'm not sure which one actually gets the job done.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

What hardware do you have?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

The two that matter at startup:
Intel quad-core i5-2310 2.90 GHz
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM

The rest:
AMD Radeon HD 7870
500GB HDD
A bunch of peripherals

It can still run most of my games at Ultra High at near 60fps and pretty quick load times. It's far from a toaster.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

That's odd. Hopefully they'll fix that in a future update.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

About 1)
It works for every window, but not for Edge o.O

About 2/3)
After reboot today it works now :D

About 5)
It's the AMD graphiccard. I have two one from Intel to save energy and one from AMD for good graphics. It's a main problem that if the amd driver is installed, the boot takes very long and has the black screen. No fix at the moment (from HP Support Forum)

About 6)
I think it's because Windows installed the latest Version from CCC. For Windows 8 i installed about 3 drivers to find the one that works for me. And that was an old Windows 7 driver.

About 7)
Good idea to try to connect with windows. With Win 7 and 8 it only worked with the software from the mouse.
Twilight_Warrior wrote:The two that matter at startup:
Intel quad-core i5-2310 2.90 GHz
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM

The rest:
AMD Radeon HD 7870
500GB HDD
A bunch of peripherals

It can still run most of my games at Ultra High at near 60fps and pretty quick load times. It's far from a toaster.
I'm sure it's your graphiccard, too. There is somewhere an option, that windows do not update drivers automatic. Google for it, remove the AMD driver and try an older/newer one. But i'd search in that way. Or you contact the AMD support for that.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

I have an AMD (HD 7570) card as well, and when I installed Windows 10 it had a driver update. Did you both get driver updates as well?
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

I was having the same problem, turns out that after updating it was using my processor's integrated graphics, not my GTX 970, and required a quick re-jig. Working fine now.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Yeah, I did the graphics update, day 1, as well. My boot's a bit quicker than it was (still not up to my old speed) but I'm sure it'll be fine as more drivers are updated and optimized.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Also, dos anyone know of a way to change the lockscreen background where you sign-in without downloading third party software? That picture kills the theme of my build.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Doesn't look like you can yet. Not the one where you login, anyway. Windows 7 used to have a registry hack you could do, but it looks like they haven't implemented it for 10 yet. Leave a suggestion or wait it out, I guess?
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

I get an Driver update, but i still had the Problem. HP gave me an other CCC Version, i installed, and it seams to be a bit quicker. After i configured the logonui to use the good graphiccard, i thinks it is now a bit quicker.

About the lockscreen Picture. Do you mean the Lockscreen, or the logon Screen?? for the logon i have the Windows 10 Wallpaper, and the Lockscreen is just a Color. I wanted to Change that Color to the win10 wallpaper as well, but wasn't successfull. Have you tried:
Windows, type in "Lockscreen" (for me Sperrbildschirm) I get something like Change Image from Lockscreen (Bild auf dem Sperrbildschirm ändern) There you can change it. But i'm not sure if ít is the lock or logon Screen.

==EDIT==

Do you have GData?? I had problems with Gdata, Windows 7 SP1 and my Graphiccard, when i bought my Laptop. I have the suspicion that the black screen befor logon is caused my Gdata again.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Anakin wrote: Do you have GData?? I had problems with Gdata, Windows 7 SP1 and my Graphiccard, when i bought my Laptop. I have the suspicion that the black screen befor logon is caused my Gdata again.
Unless GData is some sort of VPN going through another server, which I doubt, that shouldn't be slowing down your boot. If anything, it should just slow down after your PC is booted up and right as the desktop appears. Also, I would highly recommend you get a SSD. I really regret not getting one.