Exe files

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: WARFRONT + Various Mods for Other Games
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+RC+RTW MTW NTW
xbox live or psn: AlexisVixie

Exe files

Post by ARC1778 »

Thought I should as this here, as it's not necessarily to do with modding. Does anyone know of any good introductory tutorials to creating exe files for simple functions, such as copying the content of one folder to second, and then the content of a third into the first one? and then to run another .exe file for a game?

It would need to be able to reverse that function as well, basicly running the folder copying in reverse order, so a tutorial involving an element of user input would be good, as the user would need to set first where the folders are, and second which functions (Forward or Reverse) they wanted to run.

It would also have to create the second and third folder, and a fourth to keep them in.

As you can probably tell I have no idea what I am talking about as I am pulling these terms out of the air. But you are knowledgeable and wise, so I am sure you have some resources at your disposal.

Thanks, -Lexi
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Exe files

Post by Teancum »

What you want to create are batch (.bat) files. These are files that can be created/edited with a text editor, but run like an .exe file. They can do most of what you're talking about. They're too complex to get into here, but there are lots of tutorials on the web.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Or a cmd file. It's the same as batch files
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: WARFRONT + Various Mods for Other Games
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+RC+RTW MTW NTW
xbox live or psn: AlexisVixie

Post by ARC1778 »

Thank you both, I've really no idea what I am doing with coding, but I think that I can manage this.

I would like to ask would asking a user to paste the location of their addon folder, as well as the location of the two folders used to hold the mod's own folders and the thing already in addon folder, in a config file be too complex?
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Not sure what your exe should actually do when it's done, but why don't you say to the user he should put the bat file in the BF2 directory. That way you needn't ask for that location. Next you search for all files/folders and in that list you search for your folders. Save the path/names in a variable and copy them the way you like.