Dropbox completely removing Public folders

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Dropbox completely removing Public folders

Post by Marth8880 »

So I received this troubling e-mail from Dropbox in December:

This presents a big problem for me personally, seeing as how the vast majority of the images I've posted to GT are hosted in my Dropbox public folder (though I use puush now for hosting non-WIP images). There is a way to get a direct link to non-public images (you change ?dl=0 to ?raw=1 in the shared URL), but that's not quite good enough for me. In the meantime I'll be looking for alternatives that feature Windows Explorer-based uploading.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Dropbox completely removing Public folders

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Google Drive.

Switched to it. Never looked back.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

I use Google Drive too, but it doesn't have the same kind of direct image linking that Dropbox's public folder has - and plus it's far too many clicks to copy the URL for an image.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Okay, but I thought you were using puush for images. I use Imgur for images. If you make an account, any images you upload are permanent. And none of them are shared to the Imgur community unless you specifically click "Share to community" after you upload it.

I uploaded this picture from the Gametoastia Minecraft Server 4 years ago, and it's still kicking:
Hidden/Spoiler:
And I think "too many clicks" is being too picky for a free Dropbox replacement that gives you 15GB of free space to upload anything, images or otherwise, with a public sharing option. It's literally three clicks. Right click item, left click "Get shareable link", click link to copy.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Okay, but I thought you were using puush for images. I use Imgur for images. If you make an account, any images you upload are permanent. And none of them are shared to the Imgur community unless you specifically click "Share to community" after you upload it.
I do use puush for images - just not for WIP images, which I upload/post in bulk with Dropbox, and as you can imagine it'd be very annoying to have to right-click each image individually in a group of like 20 images, wait for each one to finish uploading, paste it into the post, etc.

I *might* move to imgur, but I'd really prefer to be able to upload without visiting a website - and I want to be able to update the contents of an image without having to re-upload it manually and replace the link and whatnot.

Twilight_Warrior wrote:And I think "too many clicks" is being too picky for a free Dropbox replacement that gives you 15GB of free space to upload anything, images or otherwise, with a public sharing option. It's literally three clicks. Right click item, left click "Get shareable link", click link to copy.
Oh I'm not talking about a *free* replacement. I pay for Dropbox Pro because of how much I use it. That's why I'm so astounded that they're getting rid of this feature.

And again, when you're sharing only a couple images, sure, that works fine. But when uploading in bulk? That becomes disgustingly tedious, especially when the context menu decides to take its sweet time to load.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Alright. I tried. Good luck with your search to find an alternative to Dropbox that does everything Dropbox does, exactly, but isn't Dropbox.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

But seriously though I might just end up purchasing a web server and FTP-ing files to it tbh