Laptop Issues

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Laptop Issues

Post by RevanSithLord »

I'm not really saying 'goodbye' to the forum, as I'm saying 'goodbye' to my laptop, which has all my mod files on it. The hard drive is intact, so I'll find a way to get my mod files off of it, because I really want to release things, but for now I'm out of the modding scene - just when I was getting things accomplished. :/ I have my desktop here which I am typing on right now, but this is a very serious issue.

Something must have happened because it won't boot up. Initially, I needed to restart my computer, so I went and restarted it - but upon doing so, during the boot up process, it gave me a bluescreen of death and went back to a black screen with only two options: start windows normally and Startup Repair. I need to be able to keep my files, but I don't know what to do to get my computer back. I honestly don't know what happened. I tried the startup repair option to see what it was, because I've never had this problem before. I'm pretty tech savvy, but this one just stumps me. I don't have a partition disc, nor do I have a Windows 7 disc, especially from the move.

I don't have the money to go get this problem fixed either.

Will I be able to fix it with startup repair? Does anyone here know what it does?

Otherwise I'll have to wait to somehow get a computer that I can transfer files from my drive to via the hard drive mount we have which helped my wife.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Laptop Issues

Post by Teancum »

If you're looking to save your files I'd recommend getting a Linux boot CD like PartedMagic (they're all free). From there you can boot to Linux, transfer essential files to a thumb drive, and then worry about a reinstall. I don't know about 7, but Microsoft has non-activated ISOs for Win10 that are for the sole purpose of repair and trial installs. They may have something like that for 7.

But first things first: Make a Linux boot CD and move your files to a thumb drive.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

I had a problem with my desktop. I wasn't able to login anymore (ctrl+alt+del wasn't accepted anymore).

If you have a 2nd harddrive (not sure if this will work with external devices) you can use the rescue cmd from Windows. Within the boot option there is something like cmd. Then you can copy your files using the command promt and after that you can care about repairing. I'm not 100% sure if win7 supports it, but windows 10 can be installed over the old installation that way you don't even need the license key. and you'll have that windows.old folder with all files.

If you don't know about how to use cmd or if you cannot access this cmd promt, you should use the Linux live cd/usb like teancum said
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Post by RevanSithLord »

Thanks. I'll give this a go! Anything to save it. Funny thing is that the graphics card on my desktop fried soon after this post. But yeah thanks!