RAM or Graphics Card

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

RDST

Post by RDST »

Carbine- of course you get can't get under 70 fps. Your card is the best out there, its like using a cannon to shoot a bird.

OGEB1103 - Tantive is not a laggy map, in fact it is one of the least. You should lower your setting considering your probably getting about 10-15 on Endor or maps with lots of objects.

Ipodzanyman- Like I said the 7800 is the one of the best out there. It cost a lot (around $400) and for anything BUT the hardcore, it is way to expensive and not needed. And yes the CPU is important but since he has a 2.66 ghz P4, he should be fine in that department.

sawyerdk9 - If you can afford it, go for the extra RAM, it will help in load times and will cause less slow downs or skips in game play. More RAM is always good (to a certain extent).

Hope the helps
-RDST
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by yankeefan05 »

what does aliasing mean?
CarbineImpulse

Post by CarbineImpulse »

Very basically Aliasing is where smooth curves or lines become a bit ragged. Anti-aliasing is the process of smoothing out those nasty edges.
its like using a cannon to shoot a bird.
ROFL :lol: I rarely upgrade my system (it's pretty new as it is) however to compensate you might as well get something good when you are upgrading it. Trust me it'll soon be old, there's already a 7900.
sawyerdk9

Post by sawyerdk9 »

Well, I went an ordered the ATI 9250
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

The GeForce 7900 is just coming out. Its over $200 for the 256MB (I think) and over $500 for the 512MB (I think).
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

In fact, nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX Graphics Processing Units-based Video Cards were already sold for a certain time to Computers Assemblers, such as AlienWare, DELL or a few selected and privileged customers, moncal'...
After all, a brand-new generation of nVidia products supporting "Quad-SLI" should remain as much "discrete" as possible, especially when A.T.I. has not engineered a similar "Architecture" yet...
RDST

Post by RDST »

moncalamaridestroyer wrote:The GeForce 7900 is just coming out. Its over $200 for the 256MB (I think) and over $500 for the 512MB (I think).
As Lev said, the 7900 is already out. However, it really isn't much better than MOST 7800. It has a slightly higher core clock and memory clock. Its a good card but still not that big of a upgrade. The 7800 is still one of the top cards (the ATI X1800 or X1900 are still better) it will get out of date, but not obsolete for a VERY long time. It will most likely only be replced by second generation Direct X 10 cards :? .
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

I do find the SLI thing interesting. It's old technology being reintroduced. 3DFX cards had a similar feature to link two gfx cards together to make use of two GPUs. Didn't catch on though because of space limitations (needed two pci slots) and lack of programs that made use of it. Maybe it was ahead of its time and it will work out this time since pci-x is faster than agp and a lot faster than standard pci.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

In fact, the "Scan Line Interleave" Technology 3Dfx had developped and intended to its Voodoo Graphics Cards might have potentially allowed "couplings" of two, three or more "Interfaces" if the proper amount of required PCI slots had been standardly integrated on Mother-Boards sold at that time...
RDST, as far as I can tell, Graphics Cards based on nVidia GeForce 7800 / 7900 Graphics Processing Units seem to be much more efficient than A.T.I. equivalent products in 3D-modelling Domain, amongst others, which proves that nVidia is far from being "overwhelmed" by its main competitor...
swbf_lase
Major General
Major General

Post by swbf_lase »

lol I only got a 8mb card from dell but i have a gig of ram lol
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

swbf_lase, could you give me the exact Specifications of your current DELL Personal Computer, please ?
Indeed, we cannot really say that Graphical Processing Units coupled with only 8 MB of Video Memory are common and widespread, nowadays...
RDST

Post by RDST »

Impossible to have a 8mb GPU. The lowest anyone makes now is a 32 mb integrated (and thats extremely rare) Confusing it with something else?
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

Actually 8 MB is possible. I had a computer that had 4 MB XD
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : What if you consulted this Kelkoo web-page, RDST ?... :wink:
swbf_lase
Major General
Major General

Post by swbf_lase »

Well I have a Dell Dimesion E310 with Windows Xp Media Center Edition 1 Gigabyte of ram And a Pentium 4 CPU 2.80Ghz
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

Most and likely the 8mb is shared memory that could be bumped up in the bios. What shared mem does is use part of the RAM onboard as it's gfx memory. Usually you can bump it up in the bios, but it usually has a cap. If I sound off, it's beause I'm sick as a dog running 102 temp and dizzy as hell.
swbf_lase
Major General
Major General

Post by swbf_lase »

Hope you feel better ShadowHawk :)
RDST

Post by RDST »

Leviathan wrote:Off-topic : What if you consulted this Kelkoo web-page, RDST ?... :wink:
Crazy! hmm... didn't know that. Thanks Lev.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : While we are at it, RDST, click on any link associated to the Graphics Cards gathered on the Kelkoo web-page I posted a link to earlier, and then, select the "Similar Products" tab before looking at the entire content of the column labelled "Similar Price"... :wink:
RDST

Post by RDST »

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind. :)