Reinstalling Operating System

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

jkempster

Reinstalling Operating System

Post by jkempster »

hi, sorry if this is in the wrong section but i dont know where to post it.

in order to get my tools working again so i can get back to modding i need to reinstall my OS i think which i believe is operating system.
i do not know how to do this and really wan tmy tools workign again. does anyone kno whow to reinstall them, and could they email - jkempster4@hotmail.com, or PM me how to do it. please

thanks
ps sorry if this is the wrong section to post
Captain_Mazda

RE: reinstalling os

Post by Captain_Mazda »

You've apologized twice for putting this thread in the wrong forum. In that time you could've posted it in the Technical Assistance section of the forums and there wouldn't have been any frustration.
jkempster

Post by jkempster »

1. didnt realise i sed it twice
2. i already sed i didnt know where to post it, where is the technical thing section
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: RE: reinstalling os

Post by Teancum »

Captain_Mazda wrote:You've apologized twice for putting this thread in the wrong forum. In that time you could've posted it in the Technical Assistance section of the forums and there wouldn't have been any frustration.
We have a technical assistance section? Why didn't anyone tell me about that??? Seriously Mazda, chill.

*Moved to 'Anything Goes'* (for future reference, if you not sure where to post something, it ALWAYS goes in 'Anything Goes'. If it's the wrong forum the admins can move it.
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

RE: Re: RE: reinstalling os

Post by ShadowHawk »

That was a new one for me too. Maybe I should run that mysterious forum. :P

What OS are you running, XP Home, XP Pro, or XP Media Edition? OEM, Retail, or upgrade? 32-bit version or 64-bit? SP2 installed? When did you start having the problem, immediately after installing the tools or later on? Do you have the original XP cd or a bootable copy that you made yourself from your original cd (a.k.a, do you own the copy of the OS, or is it a download special at a 100% discount)?

(I'm assuming XP because 98 and ME are so outdated, most things now and days don't support it. And those that run 2k either pirated it, work as a Microsoft distributor, was a student in the IT field at the time of release six years ago, or work for a fugal company that really doesn't want to upgrade until it no longer works for their applications. I'll laugh if you "own" 2k3 server. Being a Criminal Justice major and gearing towards law enforcement, particularly forensics, I do not condone nor support pirated software. As a warning, I know I can't tell if it is pirated or not, but I do know what is more likely to be owned and what is not.)

Disclaimer out of the way, answer those questions and I'll be able to help.
chubby

Post by chubby »

You have to reload you Operating System? That takes a really long time to do. I wish you luck. Ask me if you need help getting started on this.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

I reformat once a month on my 2- 80 gig hardrives. And installing the os takes about 37 mintues but i do them while afk. Its just good to avoid trojans ;)
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

You mean I actually have more harddrive space than you? The shock. You beat me in specs in everything else, I thought you would in that Dept too. :P And the Trojan comment, I'll play nice on that one and let it stand at that. ;)
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Wait a minute, ShadowHawk... I would be almost ready to bet that both the two "Eighty GigaBytes Hard-Drives" guru seems to actually own are in fact WD740GD ones, also known as "WD Raptor 74 GB" Internal Storage Devices, designed and engineered by Western Digital.
If the above "statement" is proven, then be sure your current Computer will not have any chance to compete with the one our great "Jawa Administrator" referred to in his last message...
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

Never said anything about fast hard drives, just more space. ;) Again, the ONE thing my crappy computer is superior on.

Actually, I have a 100 GB OS Drive (Windows XP Pro and Linux for practice, which I desparately need.), two 300gb Maxtor Ultra 16 HDD on my network server that I use as a storage dump for my Laptop and also a gaming machine (though as I said in another forum, not the best, but functional), and a DVD+/- RW DL drive along with a USB 30gb drive I use specifically for my music files (a holdover until I can afford an iPod. :D) I decided to sacrifice system speed for more storage because I do a lot of DVD-ripping so I can take pretty much half my dvds on the road without having to bring the disks. Plus I'm a packrat. Imagine how long it takes me to do spring cleaning on my harddrives. I'm on week two. :P
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : OK, Shadow', if I were you, I would try to purchase either O&O Software O&O Defrag V8 Professional Edition or Diskeeper 10, since both those two "Specialized Softwares" are rather efficient for defragmenting and monitoring recent Hard-Drives, thanks to fast and smart processes... :wink:

Post by Guest »

Off topic:
I assume guru is using raid1 disk mirroring. Concerning the OS reload I would suggest allowing plenty of room in your drive C partition I reformatted and gave it 20 gigs so I could install SWBF1 and 2 and both sets of mod tools. Reloading your system is not really that bad if you follow some simple rules.

Special Note:
If your system came with a recovery disk it may or may not allow you the change your HD partition sizes. Also unless you've done some upgrading like adding a new video card then you simply insert your master recovery disk and restart your pc.

1- Check and backup all of your files that you wish to keep, because once you reformat they are gone (Unless you want to pay a bunch of money to recover lost files, which is still no guarantee).

2- Check your system specs and make sure you have the drivers for all of your hardware and put them on a CD if possible. These drivers would be like video and sound cards, etc... (Make sure if you decide to change to a different OS your drivers are compatible for instance if you are running Win95/98/ME their drivers will not work on Win/NT/2k/XP.

3.- Make sure you have a format disk for your HD or you can get the name and model # of your HD and download them from the companies web site. (Put it on a CD or 3 1/2 disk, it should tell you)

4- After you reformat your drive and install your OS make sure you go to Microsoft's website download and install all updates. (Note also check the custom downloads and make sure you get the latest version of DirectX and .Net framework)

5- Good luck and may the force be with you!! :eobi:
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

Actually I've tried O&O and Diskeeper. Neither Drafragged my drives very well. The best I've gotten was 36% fragmented, even when going into boot mode. Even on my laptop that is maybe 20% used out of a 30gb drive still will not defrag it past 23%. Any suggestions why? It is very annoying.

BTW, where is the person that made this post? Did I scare off someone?
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : ShadowHawk, if the defragmenting's abort really occurs on your Laptop, then I guess it is caused by a "Dedicated Agent" common to both O&O Software O&O Defrag V8 Professional Edition and Diskeeper 10, which has been programmed to prevent the above softwares to work on the Internal Hard-Drive while the embarked batteries need to be recharged, in order to enhance this Notebook's autonomy...