Windows XP Username Password Trouble

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Windows XP Username Password Trouble

Post by Raptor522 »

Tonight would be the second time I'm without access to "my" computer (my sister and mom use it, but it's pretty much just me)(I'm on my dad's) because my Username thing's password has changed itself again. I also noticed that the "Hint" thing I put there for no reason (it just said "Right, I'll really tell you") was gone, like I didn't put it on there or something. I'll just get my sister to log in on hers so I can reset my password again, but why's it doing that? Oh, and it's just my name, hasn't happened to theirs yet...
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: Windows XP Username Password Trouble

Post by ShadowHawk »

Look at your sister. Sounds like someone is changing things on purpose to perturb ya or punish ya. Anything else I can think of that would do it would have also changed the others as well. Also, think your parents could be giving you a hint?
-=Sithicalohiny=-

RE: Windows XP Username Password Trouble

Post by -=Sithicalohiny=- »

Well, if it ever happens again write a batch program. Copy these lines into notepad:

Code: Select all

user [your username] [the password you want]
So it will look something like this:

Code: Select all

user Raptor522 ILikePie
and save it as password.bat
Put this program in someone else's "My Documents" and run it everytime it happens again. This will change the password instantly. It has to be run from an account with administrative privelages.
Last edited by -=Sithicalohiny=- on Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

maybe your sister did it as a joke. Your Parents could have done it becasue u woldnt behave or something. (Just an idea)
-=Sithicalohiny=-

Post by -=Sithicalohiny=- »

Ok now this is a technical advice forum so lets keep it technical.

Please read the rules: http://www.gametoast.com/index.php?name ... pic&t=4816
especially number 3: "All replies must be useful"
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Raptor', after having launched a few relevant Searches through Google, I have succeeded in finding Articles - Present on the web-site of Microsoft - which might really interest you, since they could potentially bring a solution able to work out your actual problem rather fastly...
Therefore, I would advise you to consult both those two following addresses as soon as possible :
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

Thanks guys; I've just removed the password for now. I'm gonna test with my sister's. ;) lol
CarbineImpulse

Post by CarbineImpulse »

You could just simply get things sorted by using the User Accounts section of XP. Get the accounts setup properly and designate who should have admin or limited user privaleges. To change your password I'm assuming either your sister knows your password or that she has admin privaleges. Maybe getting your parents to delegate who exactly should have admin access to the pc may solve similar probs in the future.
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

Yeah, it's defintely my mom and/or sister...next time I get back on my account, I'm freaking putting my old password back and removing their system admin rank thingy. They'll be pissed, but they can get over it (they've been jumpin' all over me for the dumbest things lately)