Windows ME(Melineum Edition 2000) Help!

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

SWSOE1

Windows ME(Melineum Edition 2000) Help!

Post by SWSOE1 »

My ME computer is acting up again. When I boot up the screen says the CMOS settings are wrong. I changes the settings but the computer does not keep it. Note-I do shut it down properly and it is a used computer. If chose the other option it says Hard drive not found and then it says the CD rom drive cannot be found. Please help.
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: Windows ME(Melineum Edition 2000) Help!

Post by ShadowHawk »

First, Either a bios virus or a simple CMOS battery replacement (last most likely) Replace that first then We'll continue on from there. It is a standard watch battery, so open the case with a static strap and you sould be able to find it. Remove it and go to walmart and show them the battery at the jewelry dept. Very easy maitainance procedure unless it is an old proprietary system. Then the CMOS bat might be a problem to replace. See if the replacement fixes the prob. If not give me an update.
SWSOE1

Post by SWSOE1 »

Thanks for the help. The computer used to have so many pictures stored to it that it ran as slow as a Windows 95. Thank god all those pictures were deleded.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : One last thing, SWSOE1 : Each time you're receiving "generic" Error Messages - Similar to the ones you've mentioned in your first post -, do not hesitate to launch a Google Search based on them, so as to obtain relevant and helpful responses and resources which might help you to work out the concerned Technical Issues... (Just take this Google Results Page as sample...)