XP Pro sometimes 'hangs' during a boot

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: XP Pro sometimes

Post by Teancum »

Yes sir.
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: XP Pro sometimes

Post by ShadowHawk »

I used to get this every so often, but it usually happened continuously until I solved the problem. Mine was the wireless card popping out of its PCI interface. That is why I use /NOGUIBOOT for mine. But mine wasn't exactly like yours because it happened every boot when it was dislodged, while yours happens randomly. This command shows you what drivers are loading in the background, instead of showing you the black XP screen, so it might be able to give a clue to what is causing it. Least it can do is limit the possibilities (basically showing what it cannot be thus reducing the can possibly bes).

And to use a military adage as a joke: "Do I look like a sir? This rank shows I WORK for a living." (PFC; Regular Army. NonCom)