What graphics api should I use?

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

swbf_lase
Major General
Major General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

What graphics api should I use?

Post by swbf_lase »

I need to make a descion on which I should use. Etheir OpenGl Or DirectX.

Which one do U favor?
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

I think u need DirectX. It comes with some games these days.
-=Sithicalohiny=-

RE: What graphics api should I use?

Post by -=Sithicalohiny=- »

Direct X. I'd stay with the more popular stuff, direct x works with everything.
RDST

Post by RDST »

Go with Direct X. OpenGL is good, but Direct X is used by almost every major game developer. Not a hard choice.

-RDST
swbf_lase
Major General
Major General

Post by swbf_lase »

Thank you :)
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

swbf_lase, I would equally prefer the use of Microsoft DirectX, especially if you've planned on ordering Microsoft Windows Vista once it will have been fully achieved, since this Application Programming Interface has been fully optimized so as to be executed on this Operating System, contrary to OpenGL, which presents major "Visual Issues", even on a Platform composed of an nVidia Quadro FX Graphics Processing Unit, amongst other recent components and devices...
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

Oouch, headache. :P I Agree, Directx is the way to go. almost all gfx cards are optimized for it (the exceptions are the really old ones) and most programs make full use of it. Just out of curiousity, what are you using the api for?
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

DirectX doesn't work with everything. That statement was completely wrong. OpenGL works with much more than DirectX.

Heres a quick overview:
OpenGL is a cross-platform industry standard, taught at universities and used extensively in science software.
DirectX is a proprietary Microsoft technology for (non-Doom engine) games.

If your application/game is going to be full screen, OpenGL will work fine with Vista. Its rendering will be handled by the graphics card and not Vista.
Look up more info on DirectX vs OpenGL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D_vs._OpenGL

Research it more before you decide. What type of application are you making?
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Zerted', be sure I have proceeded to a complete checking of all my "Knowledge Bases" before having posted my above "Statement", which can be safely trusted...
Indeed, Microsoft Windows Vista can not handle properly a few "Specialized" Programs based on OpenGL - Such as Celestia© - even though the displaying is administrated by the local Graphics Processing Unit, no matter whether you attemp to exploit "Alternative Ways" intended to make this Application Programming Interface managing the concerned Software...
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

off-topic: I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, but there isn't any official Quadro drivers for Vista and Celestia doesn't even say it supports Vista.

on-topic: As you can see I favor OpenGL. I will always favor an industry standard over a company's proprietary 'standard'.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : As far as Microsoft Windows Vista progresses everyday, be sure that Celestia© or any other "Specialized" Software - No matter whether this Product has been conceived around OpenGL - won't have to "support" this Operating System in order to have a few chances to be executed on it, thanks to the "Environments Emulators" which will be included with the "Ultimate", "Business" and "Enterprise" Declensions of Windows Vista...
Moreover, regarding nVidia Quadro FX Products, they can safely use the standard Drivers intended to any nVidia GeForce ones, since they are as much "Polyvalent" as those last Video Chipsets...
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

Wikipedia wrote: Microsoft had marketed Direct3D as faster based on in-house performance comparisons of these two software libraries. The performance deficit was blamed on the rigorous specification and conformance required of OpenGL. This perception was changed at the 1996 SIGGRAPH (Special Interest Group on Computer Graphics) conference. At that time, SGI challenged Microsoft with their own optimized Windows software implementation of OpenGL called CosmoGL which in various demos matched or exceeded the performance of Direct3D. For SGI, this was a critical milestone as it showed that OpenGL's poor software rendering performance was due to Microsoft's inferior implementation, and not to design flaws in OpenGL itself.

With the mainstream adoption of graphics acceleration hardware, the use of one API or another no longer implies the use of a specific optimized software renderer. Instead, the low-level rendering logic is implemented in the graphics hardware and its drivers, and thus is largely the same whether OpenGL or Direct3D is used. This trend has revealed that neither API possesses an inherent speed advantage over the other. The performance of an application depends instead on the programmer's skill, the quality of the drivers, and the performance of the graphics hardware.
Wikipedia wrote:The advantage of OpenGL's inclusive, extensible approach is limited in practice, however, by the market dominance Direct3D has achieved. In recent years, games have rarely implemented features until Direct3D has supported them, and graphics cards vendors have been reluctant to implement features that current or upcoming versions of Direct3D will not support.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D_vs._OpenGL

Again, almost all gfx cards are optimized for DirectX and most programs make full use of it.

But it does really depends on platform, hence why I asked what he will be using them for.
RDST

Post by RDST »

Hawk has some good points. Infact as I was messing with ATI tray tools, I noticed that many of the "effects" could only be used with OpenGl.