My Battlfield 2 isin't working - HELP! [Updated 23/7/06]

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Gronf

My Battlfield 2 isin't working - HELP! [Updated 23/7/06]

Post by Gronf »

OK first of all, I don't want you to post anything here that's ragging down on me because I like the game.

The problem: It doesn't support my graphics crad, I have an old ATI Radeon 9200, the game supports 8500 or 9500.

Solution: I need some help here...

So, do I have to get a new graphics card, (seems pointless my PC is crap)
or can I fool the PC somehow?

All help is appricated

Grunf

PS: If you need more info, just say so, and you'll have it.

Alright, I have a new problem, with the same crappy PC... -_- Ingame everything works fine (or, worked) except for that the computer restarted from time to time... Understandable, seeing as it sucks. As said everything had worked fine until yesterday (21:st of July). I tried to start the game, it worked, everything worked, server loaded fine, I joined. But then, I noticed I couldn't move my mouse. At all, it had worked fine in "choose acc." and everyrhing else, hell it still works.

So the problem is pretty much that I can't move the mouse whenever I join a server.
Anybody that can help me? (I didn't know what to search for in Google)

All help is appricated

Grunf
Last edited by Gronf on Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
CarbineImpulse

RE: My Battlfield 2 isin

Post by CarbineImpulse »

OK first of all, I don't want you to post anything here that's ragging down on me because I like the game.
That's not going to happen, loads of people like BF2. Firstly have you tried installing and running it, sometimes these things will run on inferior specs, but just not very well. Give it a go and try tampering with your card settings, screeen res, viewable distance, all that sort of thing and see if that helps. If you're completely unable to get going then a new graphics card would probably be advisable. You've also got to bear in mind other games required specs are going to increase as well so maybe now is the time to upgrade. However try and see if you can get away with it for BF2. Hope that helps.
geoman777

Re: My Battlfield 2 isin't working - HELP!

Post by geoman777 »

Gronf wrote:OK first of all, I don't want you to post anything here that's ragging down on me because I like the game.
Yeah, no one will say that, this is anything goes :P . I like Battlefield 2 more then I like Battlefront 2 anyway.

About the problem, I don't know much about ATI cards, but for Nvidia, the game requires an Nvidia 5700 FX 128 mb. I have an Nvidia 5500 FX 128 mb. It's definetly possible to run the game with less then the requirements. I also have .2 less then the 1.7 ghz required. Still runs fine.

But seriously, if the game is lagging that much, it might be time for a new card anyway, because sooner or later another game you like will come out with even higher requirements. Before doing that though, like carbine said, you should set everything on low first and see how the game runs.
Gronf

RE: Re: My Battlfield 2 isin

Post by Gronf »

I would do that, but the thing is now that I have my update I can only do as much as load my account.
Before, I couldn't even get past the intro film. And I'm pretty sure that everything would be set on low when I first load the game. But it's pretty wierd it works for you...
I really want it to work, I'm sick of paying 5 $ once every second week just to play in a internet cafe (Yeah, I'm that desperate)

Thanks for the help so far.

Grunf
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

I hope you figure out the issue, I use Ati (512mb all in wonder) and its like butta, and IM just using the demo. Once this game hits 35$ or less near me IM all over this. Partly due to the Star Wars mod 1st STrike that Lord Bandu and team has coming out soon! Fun stuff for sure!
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Geoman777, my graphics card out did yours. Mine is a 5200 Nvidia GeForce PCI! lol and it runs Battlefield 2 like a charm! (sry if i sounded a bit rude, didnt mean too). Im toally excited 4 Lord Bandu's mod. I'm waiting 4 the Nvidia 7600 4 $150. Then im getting Euro force, armory fury, and the expansion.
@Guru - I'd save your money 4 Battlefield 2142. That looks amazing!

@OnTopic-- So yeah Gonf, I dont think that a supported graphics card exactly matters, unless it's 10 years old and makes everything 8-bit.

@Offtopic -- 4 all the Battlefield 2 people there's a really good podcast at
http://www.battlefieldpodcast.com/

So yeah i said alot, im going to shut my mouth now before i get a warning/do something stupid. Later!
-_-
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by -_- »

Download the most up to date drivers for your card :wink:
Gronf

Post by Gronf »

I've done that... But I'm starting to think it isint the card... I can watch the intro film, I can load my account (once I even made it to the options screen, and it was all on lowest).
Seeing as it works for you, and graphic cards below my crappy one, it's really wierd. Well, I'll see if there's any more updates.

Grunf
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Wait Gronf what happens at the main menu...or try to load a map....or go to a sub menu (ex. BFHQ)... or go to the web broswers to play online (online is crazy and i love it)?
Gronf

Post by Gronf »

Well, I can't go to the main menu, or try to load a map... or go sub-menu.. or go online. Everything freezes
But I've played the game several times and online is crazy.

Grunf
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

The same thing happens to me, and all my sytem requirements either pass or equal what's required.
Gronf

Post by Gronf »

Well, glad to know I'm not alone in this crap. I was starting to feel lonley.
However, there was this file easyInfo (uninstalled the game ages ago). In EasyInfo I read "ATI Radeon 9200 x"
"Windows blabla built 2003 Servic Pack2 ?"
everything else checked out, except for maybe the sound, but I haven't really checked for a while.

Grunf
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Which version of Windows do you have? hopefully XP. the ? mark may mean it cant varify if your compy is 2003 Service Pack2 or higher. How much RAM do ya have? and how old? Over time RAM can be lost. Not sure if this helps, but o well.
RDST

Re: RE: Re: My Battlfield 2 isin

Post by RDST »

guru wrote:I hope you figure out the issue, I use Ati (512mb all in wonder) and its like butta, and IM just using the demo. Once this game hits 35$ or less near me IM all over this. Partly due to the Star Wars mod 1st STrike that Lord Bandu and team has coming out soon! Fun stuff for sure!
The demo and the full game though, are different. I can run the demo at max settings with around 40 fps, however, with the full game, I run things on medium and get about 25 fps. Not sure why.
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: Re: RE: Re: My Battlfield 2 isin

Post by ShadowHawk »

I used to have a 9200 before I upgraded to my 9600. I'll take a look to see what I did. I think I had to trick the game to run it (changed chipset id) But the only thing I remember is that it ran REAL slow. Was too much jerking to play well. I've moved this BTW to the Technical Questions Forum.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Alright, Gronf, before having created this thread, might I know if you had thought to launch a few relevant Searches using Google© ? Indeed, as stated on a few Specialized Web-Sites, it seems that a "Workaround" has already been intended and provided to owners of A.T.I. Radeon® 9200 Series' Graphics Card facing troubles with Battlefield 2, as stated inside this TechSpot web-page... :wink:
Gronf

Post by Gronf »

Well, I did search, but didn't really find something. Now to the big news: IT WORKS!!!

Thanks alot Leviathan, I did as the site told me and it works!!! :D :D :D :P

Grunf
Moving_Target
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Moving_Target »

Awsome see you on the battlefield then!!!
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : You are welcome, Gronf, and I am equally glad to see that you will henceforth succeed in playing Battlefield 2 without being forced to replace a few Components currently installed inside the Computer this Electronic Arts© video-game...
Moreover, as I have already precised in my above message, do not forget that Google© is surely the most "helpful" Knowledge Base you could find among the whole Web, and in case of further Troubles, you will be always able to rely on this Meta Search Engine, no matter whether they seem to be visibly "major"... :wink:
Gronf

Post by Gronf »

The problem is pretty much that I can't move the mouse whenever I join a server.
Anybody that can help me? (I didn't know what to search for in Google)

All help is appricated

Grunf

PS: I posted ut here to, to make it more understanable ;)
EDIT: My keyboard laid off to. It works great anywhere else.... (Like the mouse)
EDIT2: This is for Special Forces, not that I belive that it matters.