All games have similar lag and freezing...

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

geoman777

All games have similar lag and freezing...

Post by geoman777 »

OK, so starting about 3 days ago, I played Battlefield 2, and had a weird problem. My game locked up for about 5 seconds, then for another 5 seconds, there is a repeated sound that is really annoying. The sound is hard to explain, but it isnt anything that came from the game itself. K now my computer does not meet the system requirements, but I have been playing the game for over a year with no problems whatsoever.

K but here is the wierd part. I downloaded and installed the Republic Commando Demo cuz I was thinking about buying it, but. After playing it without any problems for about 5 minutes, I got the same exact thing. Freezing for about 5 seconds, and then the repeated sound for about 5 seconds, and it is the exact sound that was happening with battlefield 2.

Now I talked to guru bout this, and he just suggested that I install a fan and clean the computer of dust. So I cleaned it pretty thuroughly and I moved it about 2 inches from the wall that it was up against. But I still get exactly the same thing.

Now, I suppose it could be a heat problem, because it is summer and its reaching 90 degreesF in the house, but I thought the problem could be more serious. Could something be permently damaged? I wouldnt mind upgrading that much, cuz its about time, but I wouldnt want to do it if it is not necessary.

Any help would be appreciated,

[GT]Geoman

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to post this stuff, but I was also having some graphical oddities in battlefield 2. Note that I havent seen them since I cleaned my pc and moved it from the wall...

Last edited by geoman777 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: All games have similar lag and freezing...

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Yes, heat can damage any part of the computer. It does sound like your graphics card (or CPU) was overheating, but it pauses like that in a quick attempt to cool itself down and prevent damage. If you stop playing when that starts to happen, your graphics should be ok (not excellent, but ok). Whenever its 80 or hotter in my room, I don't play any games.
RDST

Post by RDST »

Sounds a lot like a heat problem. Most likely a video card heat problem (by chance what video card do you have?). For the time being, I'd say remove the case (like the side panel) and place a house fan so it blows into it.

Since heat can cause damage I would suggest (like Guru) to buy a fan (like an 80mm fan).

-RDST
geoman777

Post by geoman777 »

OK, getting a fan is not out of the question. I just hope that nothing is permenently damaged.

My video card is a two and a half year old Nvidia GeForce FX5500 OC. Getting a new one of these is also not out of the question. I just wouldnt want to have to buy a new system if at all possible.
rebel_scum

Post by rebel_scum »

your problem has happened to me before....I was playing MOHAA coop while it happened, but it was like Feb so it wasnt that hot
It hasnt happened since then but I havnt really played anything but Battlefront since then also.

I would reccomend a fan and/or a new Graphics card, I got the same one like 3 years ago and i think its time for an update.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

Yea Geo, try the fan and let me know. Other then I have had similar issues as you with games like SWG when my cards were hot , poor circulation, hours of use, slow fans, but in addition I also saw one time that during installation of my cd rom/dvd drive, i actually pushed the unit too far back and slightly dented a soldered diode on the motherboard. This can actually happen alot in tiny micro atx cases so check for off kilter peices on the m/b near any cdrom/hd/ spots.

In short the issues could be a few types of hardware issues, sound card, video card or m/b. In all cases heat is the devil.
RDST

Post by RDST »

geoman777 wrote:OK, getting a fan is not out of the question. I just hope that nothing is permenently damaged.

My video card is a two and a half year old Nvidia GeForce FX5500 OC. Getting a new one of these is also not out of the question. I just wouldnt want to have to buy a new system if at all possible.
If its just happened a few times then you shouldn't have permenant damages (however, if these problems come up I would recommmend immidialty shutting down your system.)

I'm starting the suspect that your graphics card is in question. Normally the 5500 isn't hot however it can be. Over-clocking makes things much worse. I'd de-over-clock your gpu until you gat a fan.

Also remember to take the paneling off and set a house fan next to it, that will help too.
geoman777

Post by geoman777 »

I really dont know much about overclocking, but it does say right on the box, "overclocked". I have no idea how to turn this off, but if its that serious, then ill just stay away from games until i can get a fan.

and btw it does not happen when im sitting at my computer. Only games.
RDST

Post by RDST »

Just saw you photos and yes its official, you have all the symptoms of excesive heat build up (the fragmented objects gives it away).

Normally you'l only get it when playing games because internet and other activities aren't as stressful as games. But it might be better if you do wait till you get a fan and or move it to a cooler area.
geoman777

Post by geoman777 »

Cool, so guru was right in the first place.

First, I'll get a fan.

I was also thinking about upgrading my video card, but if it isnt absolutely necessary, then ill just pass on that.

Thanks for the help RDST, and guru...

Ill post in a little bit when I get a fan. Should be this weekend maybe.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : geoman777, it seems that Graphics Cards based on an nVidia® GeForce FX5500 OverClocked Graphics Processing Unit are rather uncommon on the whole Market of such Electronics Products, and that's why I would like you to provide me a bit more Informations, Details and Technical Specifications regarding the one you faced Thermal Dissipation Troubles with, since it could help me to locate and obtain enough Support in order to figure out whether reducing Clock and Memory Frequencies might be considered on the aimed Video Card...

Thanks in advance !...
RDST

Post by RDST »

I've got some info for you about the 5500. In my stack of graphics cards that I have next to my computer is a 5500. Good card other htan the fact that it is a little weak and has a noisy fan. Also it might be noted that the card is (now) uncommon and isn't in production anymore.

but here is a link per your request:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/124/

I don't belive that the OCing is making the card that much hotter considering the fact that card came over-clocked out of the package. This would mean that it would have been safely over-clocked from the beggining.

-RDST
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Be sure that such Verifications are way far from being scrupulously respected and applied by a few Specialized Companies, by starting with Alienware®, which used to deliver Customized Personal Computers being so much optimized that they became sufficiently thermogenic to be rather tough to keep stable, no matter whether the Customer having ordered it had not requested such critical Modifications of this Platform's Microprogram. Other similar Firms - Being mainly intended to conceive minor wide-spread Components and Devices - have equally chosen to lead such Hazardous Policies, while reminding that their Designs have to be exploited in favourable Conditions, as applicable to one of these Manufacturers being called "EVGA Corporation®", which has never ceased producing Graphics Cards whose Temperature could easily exceed 80°C...
geoman777

Post by geoman777 »

Yeah, RDST, the card was overclocked when I bought it

But anyway, My case was open all yesterday, with a fan blowing into it. I didnt get any lag similar to the lag that I got before.

Thanks RDST, Zerted, and Guru for the help. I probably wouldn't have been able to figure this out without you guys...

This weekend Ill go get a fan and install it.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : One last thing, anyway, geoman' : In case you would be ready to modify the Functioning Frequencies of both the Graphics Processing Unit and the Memory Unit associated to your nVidia® GeForce FX 5500 Video Card so as to shrink them as much efficiently as possible, then I would highly advise you to look at this web-page, while making sure you have obtained the latest Stable and Official Drivers intended to the aimed Product...
crazytieguy
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by crazytieguy »

Yes, you should turn off the overclocking on the graphics card. If you need instructions, try contacting the manufacturer of the card, or a tech-savvy friend.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : I seriously doubt that your above message might be helpful to the owners of a Graphics Card whose main Components are taking advantage of enhanced Functioning Frequencies, as the Manufacturers of such Electronics Designs do not usually provide Instructions on how to modify the aimed Parameters, which can be easily explained by the fact the Risks faced by the Employee listing them may be too many, making so such a Process not really worth a try for either the Customer or the Technical Support's Engineer in charge of your case...