KotOR problem, it won't install

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

KotOR problem, it won't install

Post by The_Emperor »

KotOR 1 came to me by mail today and I was so very happy
Untill I tried to install it.....

When I insert the play disk it sais:

Let me point out aswell that this is a LEGAL copy so that can't (or shouldn't) be the problem...

I googled a little and the only solution I found was to get a pirated copy... But I want to make sure there is no other solution.
Does anyone know anything about this problem?
Last edited by The_Emperor on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

RE: KotOR problem, it won

Post by yankeefan05 »

Dont get a pirated copy. Try to wipe of the dirt/scratches with some cloth or something.

Leviathan might be able to help u.
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

I forgot to mention.. The CD is absolutely clean, and there are no scratches.
Chris165
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Chris165 »

maybe the speed is to low of your cd-reader......
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

How would I be able to check/fix this?

Anyway, I found this: http://frem.wordpress.com/2006/04/13/trial-by-drm/
and this http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.h ... 9&forum=27
which is very simular to my story... There are more people with the same problem
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

Await Leviathan to give u a detailed long post on advise to solve this problem. :lol:

He is going to pwn me now. :(
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

I found out that it has something to do with Securom and the fact that I have a CD burner.... But I don't have a solution yet. I've send an email to the Securom Tech Support, but if Leviathan (or someone else) knows the solution I'd be happy to hear it :P
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Alright, The_Emperor, as you must assume, most of the Removable Mediums associated to LucasArts® Products contain Sectors and Tracks entirely dedicated to Piracy Protection Technologies, which is especially valuable for video-games being at the very least "Sensible" towards such Processes according to their respective Originators. Unfortunately, as happened to Star Wars Battlefront II, a significant Amount of CD Players may not recognize the concerned Virtual Measures as they totally ignore their possible Specifications, and that's why these Device can return Error Messages similar to yours. Therefore, in my opinion, you should consider either ordering a recent Compact Disc Player or downloading and installing the latest Firmware available for your CD Burner, after having checked out whether the content of the culprit Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic Storage Support cannot be read using Windows Explorer...
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

Thank you very much for your advice Lev'
But I found out that the problem is NOT with my CD-player being old, and my firmware is fully up to date. (well, after you mentioned it actually ;) ) I have emailed the Lucasarts helpdesk and the reply was that I have to temporarily disable any CD drive emulation software. (Nero in this case)
So I'll try that (if I figure out how to :P )
Thanks for your help guys :D
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Now you said it, it has indeed appear that Softwares being specialized in generating and mounting Virtual Drives have never ceased leading to Issues being similar to those you have experienced so far, which is especially applicable towards SlySoft® CloneCD and Nero® InCD, and that's why I would advise you to check out whether one of these Softwares cannot be deactivated through the "Settings" / "Options" Module it must ship with, without forgetting that Instructions on how to achieve this Task must be located on a few web-sites listed by Google©...
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

I am unable to temporarily disable this, I haven't succeeded yet...
The software that seems to be the problem is nero 6 enterprise edition 6.6.0.8, I don't know if it's possible to " temporarily disable" it without removing it entirely.

I tried to install the game on my old pc, which doens't have a CD burner, and (of course) non of the software which Lucasart said was the problem.
But I get the exact same error message!
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

In that precise case, I would greatly advise you to take contact with a few Employees affiliated to Nero Incorporation® thanks to the Options made available through this web-page, since I assume almost only the Originators of the concerned Virtual Drive Program could dispense you all the Instructions and Precise Details you would wish to obtain in order to work out your actual problems...
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

Hmm yes I was about to contact them, but considering the fact that it gives the same error on a computer without Nero, I don't think Nero is the problem...
When I try to open the setup.exe on the cdrom, I get an other error message, saying:

F:\Setup.exe
A Read/WriteProcessMemory-command is only partly executed.

(I translated it from Dutch so I don't know if it makes any sense :P it didn't make much sense to me when it was in dutch so I don't know if I translated correctly)

I'm beginning to suspect that the Cd-rom is bad or something. Which would be annoying cause I can't switch it for a new one anymore....
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

On the other hand, getting your hands down on a brand-new Optical Device would eventually be the only Possibility which might determine whether the Issues you have faced while attempting to use the concerned Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic Storage Medium are indeed related to this same Peripheral, and that's why I would have advised you to order another one, additionally to the fact such Electronic Products have never ceased remaining rather cheap for a few years...
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

Allright, I shall buy a new Cd-rom player Thursday. I Hope it'll work then.
Again, thanks for the advice :P
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : One last thing, nevertheless : If I were you, I would instead endeavour in locating Virtual Places or Specialized Stores which could propose you recent Optical Devices, such as either DVD Players or DVD Burners, as it has apparently been proven that such Electronic Products are less exposed to problems comparable to those you have encountered so far, and that's why I would highly advise you to keep considering this sort of Options...
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

Which was what I intended to do, yes :P I'm going to buy a DVD burner. I have one now aswell, but it stopped working a month ago, and I didn't have time to replace it yet. I shall replace it for the most recent DVD burner available ;) and hope this will solve my problem. If it doesn't, at least I'll have a good DVD burner :D
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Alright, it sounds to be the most reliable and efficient way to follow so as to enhance your chances of making the concerned DVD Burner as much helpful as possible. Moreover, in case you would eventually wonder which Brand you should prefer if you faced several Possible Choices, then I would suggest getting your hands down on Plextor Corporation® Products, as they have never ceased being profitable compared to other similar Manufacturers, no matter the exact Peripherals you would compare...
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

I've got one now, couldn't get Plextor where I live though, but the same error occurs.... Bloody KotOR :cry:
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

I am feeling sorry to have led towards the Purchasing of a brand-new Removable Medium Player / Burner, but you could nevertheless appreciate this Decision in case you would decide to get your hands down on a Recent Entertainment Product exploiting fully-functional Digital Versatile Disc, as I henceforth think the problems you have faced so far while attempting to install Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic must have been caused by the Doubtful Integrity of this video-game's primary Storage Entity, and replacing the whole concerned Software might be the only Means of getting rid off these same Issues...