I need a new computer....

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

jedikiller32
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

I need a new computer....

Post by jedikiller32 »

Well, I need a new computer, because my current one was used by dinosaurs. :wink: So I need a new one. Can anyone reccomend a good gaming PC, for less than $1000? By a good gaming PC, I mean like more than 2.0 GHz, 512 mb RAM, 120 GB HD, 256 MB video card... stuff like that. I have considered making my own, but it just seems like a lot of work, having to find the right components for the motherboard, finding the right RAM, getting a good processor, finding a compatible video card... It's just a lot of work. So can someone reccomend a good PC?
Slayer_Hunter_J

RE: I need a new computer....

Post by Slayer_Hunter_J »

You think you need a new computer?! Well, maybe you do, but I do also. The thing that sucks though is that I bought 1GB of RAM, but then I thought about getting a whole new computer. The bad thing, I can't find the receit(sp)! So I'm not going to waste the $80 I spent on the RAM only to not use it by buying a new comp. So I guess I'm stuck with this old one. Good luck finding one though; and remember the research, research, and lastly research before you buy.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

pricewatch.com --- the one place to get great prices.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

newegg.com (ive purchased over 40 pcs from this site for clients) not a single issue and all were game systems or better for under $700.
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

I'm a little leary of newegg. Two probs with two orders and an RMA was lost in the mail for a replacement. (Pissed me off neither newegg nor the Post office would do anything. $200 down the tube :() If you buy from there, don't get referb or oem, that way you have a warrenty directly from the manufacture and they'll deal with it. As far as systems, they do have some good deals on them. I'm a builder myself though so prepak doesn't cut it for me. (yeah I know it's expensive, but I don't have to worry about propriety and that's a bonus for me plus I can buy a piece at a time, reducing the one time hit on the pocket book.)
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

It can take a lot of work to find all the parts you want, but when you are finished you can say: "I made that".

What CPU and graphics card brands where you thinking about? Are you going to be getting a new screen/mouse/keyboard?
swbf_lase
Major General
Major General

Post by swbf_lase »

The only site you'll ever need(exepct for GT that is lol) http://cyberpowerpc.com/ Great quailty pcs here. Although if your gonna build one than
--> ding ding ding we have a winner http://newegg.com
Postulio

Post by Postulio »

yea, i'm in the market for a new pc too, though, i'm just interested in the CPU, not a new screen, or other peripherals.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Alright, as it seems most of GameToast users inserting messages inside this thread are looking for Isolated Components or Devices, I would suggest consulting PriceRunner© in order to locate and order these same Electronic Products at interesting offers, which is especially valuable towards the above web-site, as it isn't sponsored and supported by specific Manufacturers, and so, propose Equipments whose cost matches the Financial Resources you would be ready to dedicate to them, no matter whether the concerned Elements may not be conceived by recognized and well-known Brands...
TheTao

Post by TheTao »

Here's an article you guys should check out.

Build an 800 dollar gaming PC
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : I do not personally call the different Proposals and Suggestions dispensed inside the concerned Article into question, TheTao, but I seriously doubt that the mentioned Personal Computer would have at least one chance to be allowed to bear the "Gaming Machine" Title, as the different Components shipping with it will surely become Obsolete sooner or later, which has already occured for a few Components, such as the Central Processing Unit and the Primary Hard-Drive, amongst others being rather sensible to the Informatics Market's Perpetual Evolution...
TheTao

Post by TheTao »

Actually, apart from the video card, it's a decent machine. replace the Radeon X800 with this cheap-but-fast X1600 and you're future-proof for say... a year and a half, maybe two years.
MasterSkywalker
Major
Major

Post by MasterSkywalker »

I would suggest an 7600GT, it has a low pricetag but better performance then the ATI Radeon X1600 :)
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Such a Statement has not been explicitly and effectively proven yet, MasterSkywalker, and since ATI Technologies has almost never stopped producing and selling Graphics Processing Units being at least as much satisfying and performant than their nVidia®'s Respective Equivalents, whereas this last Company has usually developped and released Driver Softwares being much more Stable and Efficient than all those having been designed by the first Firm I mentioned so far, we cannot eventually determine which one could overwhelm its Direct Competitor, and that's why I can't help considering your message as being somewhat unfounded. Furthermore, until a recent Past, Graphics Cards being based on a ATI® Radeon® X1900 XT VPU were able to obtain Performances Indices superior to those gained by other similar Devices exploiting an nVidia® GeForce® 7900 GTX Dedicated Processor, which tends to prove that comparing such Designs is way far from being that easy to achieve...
MasterSkywalker
Major
Major

Post by MasterSkywalker »

Leviathan wrote:Off-topic : Such a Statement has not been explicitly and effectively proven yet, MasterSkywalker, and since ATI Technologies has almost never stopped producing and selling Graphics Processing Units being at least as much satisfying and performant than their nVidia®'s Respective Equivalents, whereas this last Company has usually developped and released Driver Softwares being much more Stable and Efficient than all those having been designed by the first Firm I mentioned so far, we cannot eventually determine which one could overwhelm its Direct Competitor
That is why I consider nVidia better, because of their better support and more stable drivers. I've been a ATI supported for years but with the annouchement of the 7xxx Geforce series I finally changed my mind, but I still run a ATI Radeon card that performs very well considering the age and model, but I do think nVidia really is the better company now, because of their low prices and high performance.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Alright, we are both apparently way far from being in dissension with this Statement, but I would nevertheless precise than although nVidia® has become rather present and recognized on the Market of Graphics Cards intended towards Home Users, this Foundry Company has equally learnt to be picked up more often thanks to the nForce® Chipsets it has engineered and released, additionally to the fast-spreading Quadro® FX Products being mainly preferred compared to ATI® FireGL®, which has once again tended to demonstrate how reliable and highly-efficient the concerned Firm could be, no matter whether we are requesting the Opinion of persons belonging to different Domains...
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

Jedikiller, here's the comp I'm planning on buying. A pretty good deal if you ask me... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... escription
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Hewlett-Packard® / Compaq® has indeed mostly chosen to engineer and propose Personal Computers sharing many more Common Points with Regular Workstations than any other similar Specialized Brands, but I would nevertheless suggest proceeding to additional Purchases once you will have obtained the willed Product. Thus, if I were you, I would not hesitate getting my hands down on a Second Serial ATA Storage Device intended to protect Sensible Documents from being wiped out in case you would be forced to reinstall the Operating System which will be executed on it, amongst other helpful and welcome changes...