Programming Help

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you know any programming?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 5
Maximus

Programming Help

Post by Maximus »

Well, if you are trying to program, or just want to get started, this is the thread! Be it
HTML, [A lot]
Java, [A little]
JavaScript, [A little]
C++, {Alot]
C#, [A little]
Basic, [A little]
VisualBasic, [A little]
BlitzBasic, [A lot]
YABASIC, [a little]
XHTML, [A lot]
C, [A little]
ANYTHING!

I can help on every one of these at least a little...and a few more!

So if you have trouble programming, just ask it here!

I am also thinking of writing a new program to substitute Mod Tools for BF2... But I first need to check if it's legal...

Whether your beginning or advanced, I'm sure someone here can help!
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

RE: Programming Help

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

A program to replace Visual Munge?
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

RE: Programming Help

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Maximus, in case you would be really willing to develop and release Alternate Programs which could be rather easily installed instead of a few ones shipping with either Star Wars Battlefront or Star Wars Battlefront II Modification Tools, then I would not advise you to seek possible Means of obtaining Specific and Legal Authorizations from either LucasArts® or Pandemic Studios®, since you are not attempting to modify Elements whose respective Source Codes have not been included with the concerned Software Development Kit, but you are basically creating your very own Stuffs from scratch...
Maximus

Re: RE: Programming Help

Post by Maximus »

Leviathan wrote:Off-topic : Maximus, in case you would be really willing to develop and release Alternate Programs which could be rather easily installed instead of a few ones shipping with either Star Wars Battlefront or Star Wars Battlefront II Modification Tools, then I would not advise you to seek possible Means of obtaining Specific and Legal Authorizations from either LucasArts® or Pandemic Studios®, since you are not attempting to modify Elements whose respective Source Codes have not been included with the concerned Software Development Kit, but you are basically creating your very own Stuffs from scratch...

So it is legitimate if I don't modify anything?
This is what I am basically doing:
Making a NEW ZeroEditor(New Source Code)
Making the interface slightly more streamlined
Writing a mini LUA scripting program

I would not alter any of the files, I would simply create a brand new program to replace ZeroEditor.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

RE: Re: RE: Programming Help

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : All I can currently say is that both LucasArts® and Pandemic Studios® mustn't have ever imagined that one member affiliated to a Community like the current one could plan on designing Softwares which could perfectly be installed in replacement of those the above Companies have attached towards Star Wars Battlefront II Modification Tools, and as far as I can tell, they have never prohibited such Behaviors, which means you are eventually free from all Restrictions applied by these same Firms. On the other hand, in case you would really decide to develop Programs comparable to those you have mentioned above, I would wonder whether supplying their Respective Source Files could be considered...
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hmmm.... Well, if that's so, then I shall continue. Of course, it will take a long time to write a program. Don't expect it to be out relatively soon. And, if so, I will probably distribute the code to make an Open-Source program which others are free to redesign, or make the program better.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Go ahead and do it. If LA wants you to stop, they would tell you to before any legal action. Kevlar seems to be illegaly collecting money for changes to the server manager. LA hasn't tried to stop him yet (that we know of).

There are already some Lua scripting programs. LuaEdit is one. There is also a plug-in for the Eclipse IDE.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Thats' indeed one appreciable but somewhat worrying Element proving that LucasArts® is way far from owning the Authorizations and Legal Provisions making this Entertainment Company as much Influential and Present as most of those trusting it might have ever imagined, and incidentally, it might be up to Pandemic Studios® to check out whether a few Isolated Developpers could not discredit the Resources it has provided to Star Wars Battlefront II, which will not be that easily achievable for this other Firm, and so, will let you proceed as wished without any Restriction...