Reserving hdd space for defrag.

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

ShadowHawk
Old School Staff
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Reserving hdd space for defrag.

Post by ShadowHawk »

Here's a rarity.

Is there a program or a way to set aside a set amount of drive space specifically for defrag space in/for xp pro? I do a lot of side modeling, writing, and picture editing that sometimes get to large or creates multiple files. (i'm notorious for saving even minor changes to a model in xsi as diferent versions just in case. you ought to see my book idea files.) A lot of times they reduce my hdd to around 60mb or less (out of 100gigs. server is also my game machine and I'm a packrat.), freaking out windows and causing lockups until I reboot in safe mode and try to free the space to at least 750mb until I burn some to dvd.

Any sugestions or tips?
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

RE: reserving hdd space for defrag.

Post by Leviathan »

Alright, ShadowHawk, as far as I can tell, setting up the Amount of Hard-Drive's Free Space required for initiating and proceeding to this same Storage Support's Defragmentation won't be that easy in case you would use the Dedicated Utility shipped with your Microsoft® Windows Variant, and according to what I may have learnt about comparable Programs, you should download and install Trial Versions of Raxco Software® PerfectDisk, Diskeeper Corporation® Diskeeper or even O&O Software® Defrag, as they are all supposed not to demand as much Resources as the Embedded Tool you may have used until you faced some serious troubles with the Restrictions it imposed to both you and the Hard-Drive being concerned by this Procedure, and that's why giving this Possibility an additional Shot should not be that unhelpful...
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

I already use O&O defrag (Highly recomended BTW. defragged sections that even dskkeeper wouldn't and you can run it in the background or have it do it automatically), but even it has it's limits. It needs at least enough space for your biggest file with a little extra mb leaway. It too freaks out when this amount is short (not really freezes as in lock up, but keeps reorganizing the same few sectors before the overly large problem file that it can't find the space for.)

That's why I need something to either reserve the space, like a quota, but for all users, no matter what, and used only when it gets to a certain amount or percentage of hard drive (not a daily or a perminant quota like in XP or cap users download/upload cause this can change depending on hdd space, unless there is a way to do so in XP that I do not know) or something that pops up like the low harddrive warning, but can be seen over a network also. If I lost ya'll just tell me and I'll try to be more clearer to my absolute goal.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

I have to admit that obtaining a little more Precise Details regarding the Software Strategy you would want to deploy would not be that useless, but if I have nevertheless succeeded in getting the Overall Idea of the Project you have suggested earlier, then I would wish to know whether the Dedicated Options proposed by the multiple Microsoft® Windows XP Versions would not suffice in order to enable the Quota you have mentioned, since it is possibly one of the rarest Means of achieving the Objective you would want to complete as fastly as possible...
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Windows would be freaking out because it doesn't have enough space for the swap file. You can change it to a set amount so you won't have to worry about windows running out of memory and failing.

Check your Recycle Bin and make sure its empty.

There is a nice free program called Space Monger. It displays your files as boxes so you can see which files are using the most space.

For the price of a new defrag software, you can buy a 120GB or larger drive (after rebates for about $40). Keep an eye out on the ads.
ShadowHawk
Old School Staff

Post by ShadowHawk »

Well the goal I was wanting to accomplish is not the running out of space part, I know exactly what is causing it, though I will check into space monger to help me spring clean my drive.

What I'm wanting to accomplish is a way to set aside a percentage of hdd space so I can be sure I have enough space to defrag without having to worry about removing files to free what is needed. (especially since it is a file server, so it is usually only accessed by wireless network and rarely accessed at the local level. It has 10x more space than my laptop. But it is also my gaming machine so linux is out and xp is a must.)

I've found a very good defrag, but I'm not sure how to have it scan at boot time only once a week. I'll post that in another thread when I find out the progs name. (I recommend it, so I'll post the name. Does a great job of defragging and it's free, I'm just not at my xp server to look up the name. It is on the ultimate boot CD though.)
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : I assume endeavouring into seeking the exact name of the Specialized Utility you have promoted through your last message might be somewhat time-consuming and eventually not that appreciable, and that's why I would wish you to have a look at the Content referred inside this Ultimate Boot CD© web-page, since it is supposed to gather non-exhaustive Lists of all Softwares being expanded and contained towards the Compact Disc you must have burnt in order to be able to take advantage out of the multiple Functionalities and Tools offered by it. However, in case the Defragmentation Software you have exploited so far would not be mentioned inside them, then be sure keeping to think about its complete Label could be the only Means of remembering it...