Can anyone tell me what would do this?

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Can anyone tell me what would do this?

Post by Fusion »

Well, This isn't the first time this has happened. I go onto the computer (Windows XP) and it says something like: there was an error reading your profile and it gives me the okay option, then it takes me 5 minutes to get onto a desktop with only Mozilla Firefox. All my files have gone into a TEMP file, and no one else's profile (two others) is affected. I'm in the middle of restoring everything, but I would just like to know what causes this, it's really annoying
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

RE: Can anyone tell me what would do this?

Post by guru »

Im going to say a trojan is most likely to blame. Also make sure you have system restore turned off, even a browser trojan can wipe your pc if you have that on.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Thanks guru. I'm running a McAfee viruscan, if anything shows up, i'll edit my post. I disabled the system restore myself when we got the computer, so I don't have to worry about that. A little later i'll also run AVG, just in case
yodasoda

Post by yodasoda »

make sure you have adequate disk space and if you installed anything recently uninstall it
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Oh yeah, it was a trojan, two trojans to be precise. The first one was there since May 21st, the first time this happened, second one was dated today. Guess I need a third Firewall program now, huh :lol:

Mods can close this now.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : The reported problem being henceforth worked out, I am actually wondering whether you are indeed that willing to keep more than one Firewall Solution installed onto your current Personal Computer, since proceeding comparably may cause Issues being at least as much critical and hazardous as the one you have described earlier, and that's why I would never recommend to deploy such a Security Strategy to around GameToast members, no matter whether these same persons have progressively become at the very least experienced. Hopefully, you should not forget this Statement so soon while ordering and using brand-new Microsoft® Windows-based Platforms within the Months to come...