SWBF2 1.1 is required for SWBF1 Conversion Pack?

Discuss and catch up on anything related to the SWBF1 Conversion Pack

Moderator: Moderators

Deathpit
Recruit Womprat Killer

SWBF2 1.1 is required for SWBF1 Conversion Pack?

Post by Deathpit »

Is it necessary to install SWBF1 Conversion Pack without have SWBF2 updated to 1.1?

I found out 1.1 patch prevented the game from launch without correct disc in drive. I have a legal DVD of that game since launch day. I still puzzled about why 1.1 patch caused the problem like that...
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: SWBF2 1.1 is required for SWBF1 Conversion Pack?

Post by Maveritchell »

It isn't required, but we will always tell people to do it because it creates the most stable and bug-free environment for the Pack to run in. If you can't use 1.1 at all (for whatever reason), then the worst you will probably see, though, running the Pack in v1.0, will be missing localizations (these you will see on pretty much any mod, though).
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Deathpit wrote:...I still puzzled about why 1.1 patch caused the problem like that...
If you need the DVD/CD depends on which patch version you install, which .exe version you have (there are at least three versions), and how you start the game (safe mode, auto-run, LaunchBF2.exe, or BattlefrontII.exe). Some of the version switchers include .exe files.
Deathpit
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Deathpit »

Where I can find a good version switcher? Will the switcher help me solve the problem with DVD drive and 1.1 patch?
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

I don't know, I don't use them. Search online...

Possibly, depending on which one you use.
Deathpit
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Deathpit »

I am straggling to get my game working with patch 1.1 but no luck with remedies found in the internet I can search for. I am thinking that the problem had to do something with either my DVD drive since it is built with SecurDisc or the piracy protection feature built into the game DVD I have. I tried to create the ISO file from the DVD and ran it on virtual drive, but I got error message said I need to disable the virtual drive. So I am stuck with "epic fail" DVD. I am thinking about buying new digital copy of the game at Steam because it offers cheap price ($10!) and no need for physical discs with simple installation and Steam account.

Will the popular mods working with Steam verison of SWBF2? I want to make sure before buying the digital copy from Steam. Thanks for help.
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

At first there were some errors, but I read somewhere that Steam has released a patch (that now automatically comes with the game) that has resolved these issues.
I would advice you to wait for a bit longer though, your current problem should be fixable without spending another ten dollars.
Deathpit
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Deathpit »

I have tried unofficial 1.3 patch to fix the problem, but no luck. I have found new firmware for my DVD drive and upgraded it to v2.0 (to work with Windows 7 better). But it don't help solving the problem. I only get same old disc error message. I feel it is problem with my DVD drive, not the game disc. The disc is working fine with other drives before I replaced them with eSATA DVD drive. SWBF2 without patches can launch and run fine. My DVD drive is model LG GH22LS30 and it is just new-brand I had installed last year.

I think it is time for me to get digital copy.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Or you could just run everything in 1.0...
Don't waste $10 on a digital copy when everything works fine in 1.0. The only issues I've had are no custom map or mode names (they're like abc%_%mode or something) and there are slightly more crashes on buggy maps. The conversion pack works fine with 1.0. Unofficial v1.3 works amazingly with 1.0. Everything works with 1.0. You just have to get over some stuff not being named correctly.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Yeah, technically it'll work 99% on 1.0, like everyone else said. But just know that we don't do any official tech support for 1.0, only for 1.1.
Deathpit
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Deathpit »

Okay, I will try reinstall the 1.0 version and use 1.3 patch to see it is solving the problem.

EDIT
I had SWBF2 reinstalled, skipped 1.1 patch, and patched with 1.3 patch. It launched and run fine without pop up the disc error message. Also I tested the vanilla version (no patches) and it is doing fine with no messages on disc errors. I think I don't trust 1.1 patch anymore. I knew it was the source to disc error messages I kept getting for all time. I'm worrying about playing online right now. I can access to servers running on 1.0 version only.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Deathpit wrote:I'm worrying about playing online right now. I can access to servers running on 1.0 version only.
That's normal. 1.0ers can only play online with fellow 1.0ers and 1.1ers can only play with fellow 1.1ers. There are separate server sets for both versions. IMO, 1.0 has a more dedicated online community than 1.1, simply because there's more people who love playing the game even if they can't/won't upgrade it. Both communities are dying, though, which is why BFIII needs to come out sometime soon.
Deathpit
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Deathpit »

Real shame on LucasArts because their failures on deliver the new SWBF game to SWBF fans. I already started to lose the hope for the PC-version sequel, just like Duke Nukem fans and Duke Nukem Forever. I don't want DS or PSP versions. I just want real old-fashion all-battle FPS game which more awesome and improvements over the SWBF2. I still have Team Fortress 2 to play with since it seems almost like SWBF2 without SW characters or elements, yet with pwnage elements.
FragMe!
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Not sure keep changing my mind.
Games I'm Playing :: F1 and SWBF

Post by FragMe! »

This is a known problem with the DVD version and some DVD drives.
check this link
Securom FAQ
It lists the things to do if you get the errors.

Basically you run the analysis program they link to, send the resulting file to them they in turn send you a version of the swbattlefrontii.exe file to put in the directory and then you game will run fine in 1.1 version. I had to do the same thing for my DVD version/drive combination.
Deathpit
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Deathpit »

Thank you for help me, FragMe! I have sent a email to SecuRom with a file attached. Now I'm waiting for them to reply back with a soluation.
Jango40

Post by Jango40 »

i have the same problem like deathpith when i installed 1.1v patch... wrong disc inserted. :cpu: :x
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Have you tried the above solutions?