Successfully Installed to Steam and Solved Quit to Desktop

Discuss and catch up on anything related to the SWBF1 Conversion Pack

Moderator: Moderators

xixor17
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Successfully Installed to Steam and Solved Quit to Desktop

Post by xixor17 »

I installed the Conversion Pack successfully on a Steam install today on a 64 Bit Windows 7 box. I just bought the game off Steam this past weekend (May the 4th be with you, 2013). Here's what I had to do, for anyone it might help:

Downloaded the conversion pack 2.0 (combopack)
Ran the installer, and changed the install directory to steamrootfolder\steamapps\common\Star Wars Battlefront II

Note: steamrootfolder is probably C:\Program Files\Steam or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam on your computer

Downloaded the 2.2 patch
Ran the installer, and changed the install directory to steamrootfolder\steamapps\common\Star Wars Battlefront II

Loaded the game. The maps showed up in instant action, but when I tried to launch a map, it would quit to desktop. Turns out for me it was a sound card issue. The only way I knew that was to dig through a ton of forums. I have a Realtek sound card which was causing a glitch. If I turned the sound off by going in-game to Options => Audio => Mixer Config and setting it to disabled, the game would play fine.

Apparently this is a glitch that happens when you don't have a default microphone input configured. To fix it, I went to Start => Control Panel => Hardware and Sound and clicked on the section header "Sound" in the sound section. It popped up a config window with 4 tabs: Playback, Recording, Sounds, and Communication. I clicked on the Recording tab, and it was blank. I right clicked, and selected "Show Disabled Devices." It then had Microphone, Line In, and Stereo Mix as options. I right clicked on Microphone, clicked "Enable" and then right clicked on it again and clicked the "Set as Default Device" option. Once that was done, I fired up Battlefront II, and besides not being able to select Alderaan as an instant action map, everything else is working great! I didn't even need to set the program to XP compatibility mode!

Hope this helps someone. I'm off to play Cloud City: Platforms.
Bob
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Successfully Installed to Steam and Solved Quit to Deskt

Post by Bob »

This is a well known glitch with Realtek, it isn't even related to steam and the convopack.
Don't know if that's the case with all machines, but as long I have the device enabled people can hear my ingame sounds (and statics) when we are in a skype konversation, so I have to turn the device on and off, depending on what I'm doing.