Moderator: Moderators

PyroJockey
Private Recruit
Projects :: Conversion Pack 2.2 dedicated server
Games I'm Playing :: Descent 1 2 and 3
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Command Posts capture on Endor Assault KOR

Post by PyroJockey »

I have noticed a problem with Endor Assault KOR in that by standing just to the south of command post #1 (in the bunker) you can simultaneously capture all 6 command posts. I can reproduce this issue 100% on both my dedicated server and in single player. I can do this using units from either faction but you don't notice it when on Empire until you hear the voice-over or have the map open. I have tried reinstalling several times with clean installs and fresh downloads but with the same result.

Has anyone else observed this behavior or are able to replicate it?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Command Posts capture on Endor Assault KOR

Post by Maveritchell »

This is hilarious, and now that you've got the specifics out there, eminently duplicable. I've got no idea why this map behaves this way, since by all logic it shouldn't (script logic, that is). I can identify what region's doing it, but not why - it's a completely unused region called "CP1_Capture" (unused by any mode - the real capture region for CP1 is called "Region 5"). There is absolutely zero precedent for this kind of engine behavior, so I'm having a good laugh. You can absolutely hexedit this region out if you want; it will(/should) have zero effect on any other mode. It is literally unused - this is perhaps the oddest bug I've seen in a long time.
PyroJockey
Private Recruit

Post by PyroJockey »

Actually this is not the first time I've seen this type of behavior. We found something similar In kam1c_1flag, Kamino Clone Facility 1-flag capture the flag Clone Wars. By accident we discovered a capture region on top of the Northern entrance to the East building (held by the Republic). Jango can capture the Command post #3 in that building from up there. A Jet Trooper can re-capture the command post but will simultaneously capture command post #6 in the Western building held by the CIS. This was found in the PS2 version. I cannot replicate it in the PC version.

This also works in the Galactic Civil War era, but there is no Alliance class that can reach it without cheating.

Thanks for identifying which capture region it is, saves me some time.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

PyroJockey wrote:Thanks for identifying which capture region it is, saves me some time.
Just be careful that you're removing the empty region, because if you just search for "cp1_capture" without taking case into account, you'll come up on both the correct region (Region 5) and the CP. The address for the dummy region is byte 36,697,372 (approximately - that's where the chunk starts).
PyroJockey
Private Recruit

Post by PyroJockey »

I found another one. In at4c_hunt Naboo Plains Hunt Clone War. There is a capture region directly south of command post #3 (the neutral one in the center). It's small and the distance is about halfway between the health and ammo droids to the west. It's easier to find as a Gungan in that the gui displays the capture progress on screen. You can capture it as CIS but you do not have the immediate visual feedback. Listen for the sound. You can capture all command post as either factions. Command post #1 takes a little longer than the rest. It must be a major control zone as is #6 on Endor.

P.S. I am using AI's for testing and apparently the AI's drawn to these and that's what's flushing them out.

EDIT
I found yet another one. In myg1g_eli Mygeeto War-torn City Jedi Assault Galactic Civil War. I have not been able to locate the capture region, but if the mission runs long enough with AI, all the command posts will be captured by the villains.