Moderator: Moderators

Master_DS
Private Third Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

SWBF2 Conversion Pack BF Extreme Server

Post by Master_DS »

Hey everyone at gametoast.com Master_DS and I haven't been here in a long time. I haven't played Star Wars Battlefront II in a long time either. Well not the PC version at least. I could never find a great PC controller that could keep up with me. I recently got help from a friend that showed me how to use a PS3 controller on my PC and I've been playing Battlefront II non stop since then. It sucks that online for Star Wars Battlefront II may be shut down on June 30th. I know we'll have gameranger. But what I'm concerned about is how we'll run dedicated Servers. Well anyway I've wanted to get the most out of this last month of Star Wars Battlefront II online so I got a server called SWBF2 Conversion Pack BF Extreme. I wanted to have my favorite and the most popular Star Wars Battlefront II Mods on my server: the Star Wars Battlefront II Conversion Pack and the Battlefront Extreme. Both Mods are running on the server. I guess I can say that I'm testing out the Conversion Pack too, because I've been trying to narrow don't watch maps won't make the server crash, or make someone's game crash. I think I've got the list down. I can thank PyroJockey that came before me for looking into which maps run well. Thanks PyroJockey. Maybe you guys can help me out to by playing in the server and giving feedback, maybe find a map or two that doesn't work, or play for fun. There are a lot of maps and a lot to do. SWBF2 Conversion Pack BF Extreme is the name. Here are the links to the mods if you don't have them yet but anyone who's anyone has these mods:

Star Wars Battlefront Conversion Pack
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... Pack;94154

Star Wars Battlefront Conversion Pack Patch (2.2)
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... atch;98307

Battlefront Extreme (2.2)
http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... reme;96607

Be sure to have both mods installed on your game. Here's the server on gametracker.com

EDIT
Hey guys I wanted to add some information to the research that PyroJockey put into running a dedicated Server with the Conversion Pack 2.2. I'm currently running a server with the Conversion Pack and the Battlefront Extreme right now and the information here has really been helping me out. I do have some new things to report: I wanted to say that some of the maps that PyroJockey listed in his map rotation still didn't run in the dedicated server such as: bs1g_con and at4g_con. Those are just some examples of maps that would crash or won't run at all. Alright so onto what I'm running in my server.

I currently have about 250 maps running in the server. I removed about 90 maps that didn't work. I ran into about 3 maps that would make my game crash sometimes I'm considering removing them form future rotations here they are:

yv2k_1flag
raxg_cft
ratg_eli

I ran into a map bug on Endor Assault Knights of the Old republic. Appearly the ewoks can still capture cps. So what would happen is that the ewoks would capture all the villains command posts, and if that happens the villains have no where to spawn thus the map could never end. I don't think that was intended. Either the ewoks shouldn't be in a Assault mode at all or they at least shouldn't be able to capture cps. Here's that map:
end1k_eli

I haven't run into any other problems although I haven't had many players in the server at one time to really test the limits. If you want to help me out and play the server is called "Conversion Pack and B.F Extreme. Both the Star Wars Battlefront II Conversion Pack and Battlefront Extreme are installed on the server. You need both to play. Hope you guys will come and try it out.

So there are some problems with the Conversion Pack when it comes to running the mods in a dedicated server. Some maps I really wish could be ran but can't because the server would crash like: Bespis Platforms, Endar Spire Interior, Geonosis Spire, Tatoonie Dune Sea and others, most of these maps are CW and GCW eras, Conquest modes etc. Some really fun to play maps and would be even better online. But these maps will just not run in a dedicated server. I wish we knew why and if it could be fixed? Could we use another patch for the Conversion Pack? Well over 5 years since it's release I maybe speaking to late on the subject.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Re: Conversion Pack and B.F Extreme Dedicated Server

Post by Kingpin »

Great idea running a dedi for these two awesome packs. I think that (possibly) several of them may crash because when you have both BFX and Convo Pack installed it has the infamous "Too Many Missions" error.
Master_DS
Private Third Class

Post by Master_DS »

Kingpin wrote:Great idea running a dedi for these two awesome packs. I think that (possibly) several of them may crash because when you have both BFX and Convo Pack installed it has the infamous "Too Many Missions" error.
Thanks Kingpin I thought that these two packs were one of the most popular on Star Wars Battlefront II just based on the downloads along, that most people had or have them. Based on the server name too it's easy for people to tell what they needed to play.

It could be that both packs ran together on the same server could lead to crashes. Although I'm no sure if it's a "Too many mission's error". Where I really think the problem lies is in the Conversion Packs map coding or something like that. I mean something about some of the maps makes them unstable when people try to play them through non-dedicated online or pc dedicated online. I've been thinking that when the Conversion Pack was being tested before it was released there wasn't enough testing done for stability with Online Play on all the Maps. Based on what' I've seen there is even some map game modes that don't even exist. So if the dedicated server tried to run those maps of course crashed. From what I've experienced while running the Conversion Pack maps like 80 of the maps will not run. A few maps like 4 such as "raxg_cft" Raxus Prime CTF GCW..from the conversion pack will still run but I've sometimes found that my game or someone else's game would crash while loading, but the server itself wouldn't crash. You could still return to the server and load map up again the 2nd time though and it would let you play as normal. From what I've experienced only a few maps like less then 4 of the Battlefront Extreme maps will not run.

I've been actively playing and have found a few problem maps here and there and removed them from the list. And with the server running maps 24/7 I haven't seen any map crashes for the last 2 weeks. So I think I got all of them. So that still makes more then 250 maps from both mod pack that are running on the server just fine. If anyone wants to come and play please do. I am looking for more feedback. Please let me know if you experience any problems in the server. This goes out to everyone Please come and check the "Conversion Pack and B.F Extreme" server let me know what you think. Thanks everyone.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Re: SWBF2 Conversion Pack BF Extreme Server

Post by commanderawesome »

Master_DS wrote:I know we'll have gameranger. But what I'm concerned about is how we'll run dedicated Servers.
Off Topic: Actually, the worse problem is that there are like 3 or 4 other solutions out there. (and I think some of them have DS support anyway) And it's likely none are compatible with the others. So the online community is being divided.
Master_DS
Private Third Class

Post by Master_DS »

commanderawesome wrote:
Master_DS wrote:I know we'll have gameranger. But what I'm concerned about is how we'll run dedicated Servers.
Off Topic: Actually, the worse problem is that there are like 3 or 4 other solutions out there. (and I think some of them have DS support anyway) And it's likely none are compatible with the others. So the online community is being divided.
Nice Point Commanderawesome in that case it's going to suck watching the online community divided up. Well I hope that GameRanger will be one of the Most popular for online play. I've played and used GameRanger and it is work well.

EDIT
The "Conversion Pack and B.F Extreme" Dedicated Server just went offline. I'd like to thank anyone that took the time to come and play. I did get lots of feedback, so thank you everyone for playing and having fun with the server. Thanks again everyone. May the Force be with you :D