Moderator: Moderators

Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Recommended settings?

Post by Caleb1117 »

Heya,

Recently got SWBF2 on steam for nostalgia sake, and installed the latest Conversion Pack, etc. Only mod I've installed. I have some random occasional crashes, and am running windows 10. I seem to remember there being some recommended settings for playing the conversion pack with the most stability, Is that true? What are they?

Or is windows 10 a little finicky with SWBF2 in general?

Thanks in advance.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Recommended settings?

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

If you're crashing before you can even get one game in, then it's probably the sound driver issue. If you can play at least one game, then it's just the nature of the beast. The conversion pack doesn't always play nice with Vista and up. Some of the conversion pack maps just crash after playing them, something about overloaded memory.
Caleb1117

Post by Caleb1117 »

Ah, fair enough. Haven't noticed any patterns, I can play but it does seem to crash sooner or later. In testing last night I noticed that my sound went out in the midst of playing. I doubt that's convo-pack related though.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I can't remember which song, but if the music ever gets really loud (usually on Mos Eisley) you just have to quit to the main menu, otherwise the sound just goes out for everything. It does this on every platform, too.

Which maps are crashing? Usual suspects are: Classic Conquest, Methlyn, Platforms, Alderaan, Haruun Kal if I remember enough of my old Notepad list which has since been destroyed.
Caleb1117

Post by Caleb1117 »

Yeah, Bespin Platforms was one of them as I recall.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Might be the higher end settings combined with Platforms causing it to crash. Most of the testing was done back in like, 06-08, so not a lot of high-end PCs compared to what exists now. Try it out on some lower settings in a playlist of 10 or so maps and see what happens.

IIRC Classic Conquest still had memory issues with every setting, though, so be careful with that.