Thire
Major
Major
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Look at what it has come to.....

Post by Thire »

Can you all believe what this started as? A simple map pack just to give us the battlefront 1 experience? Look at what it has come to now, anyone else care to discuss?
Food_Eater

Post by Food_Eater »

I remember waiting for The GT/TAW SWBF1 Conversion Pack long ago. It was probably the biggest SWBF2 mod project around. Now its even bigger and way better then before! I never knew it would come this far...
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I remember (even before joining) that a few people were making the BF1 maps, then 1.0 came out. I loved it.

Then some random things happened, I joined up at this site, downloaded 1.7, and that's when I became a beta-tester. The pack was making things crash after you finished a map, or pressed quit. After searching a while, I found it was Yavin 4: Arena that had the problem, a core.lvl of 7,835 KB (pathetic that I remember that, right? :P).

Then 1.75 was released, and it had to be one of the buggiest versions. I made the first buglist for it (the format for the current one is even the same as that first one), and somewhere inbetween 1.75 and 1.77 I became Lead Beta-tester.

And now, look what it is. All the missing 11 (and the edited Naboo: Theed), at least 7 new/old mod maps, and 4 new space maps. Most with new clone legions, some with (the very accurate to Battlefront 1) Classic Conquest, new heroes (including Fisto, he's very close to the Xbox one, isn't he?), and new modes for the shipped maps, like Holocron and Deathmatch.

It's been interesting to work on this project, I'll say that. I'm just glad in a few months, it'll be over, and I can just play the maps, not look for every little detail about how it runs. Who knows, maybe if there ever is a BFIII (or a BFIV :P), I'll be the one making this pack.

-GTCmdr_Fusion
darthgunray
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by darthgunray »

I never thought it would come to this either, i though teancum would only put in the original 12 maps, that was the purpose in the first place, now look at it, it's more than a battlefront conversion pack, it's an expansion pack for Battlefront II. Better than anything Pandemic, Bungie or any other gaming company could have given us. Truly if it weren't for this pack, even with all the cool mods going around, I would have quit playing Battlefront II a long time ago.
Darth_Z13
Jedi High Council
Jedi High Council
xbox live or psn: Xanthius Wylon

Post by Darth_Z13 »

That's what restarted modding for me. When I came back to Gametoast after 2 months of inactivity, I looked at that pack and thought, "OMG I gotta come back to modding." And so I did. I have to thank the Conversion Pack for that. I do remember it when it was but a regular conversion. And I downloaded it as soon as I saw it.
TheRocket
Lance Corporal

Post by TheRocket »

true so true pandemic we have pawned you bow down to the modders
*evil laugh*
Darth_Z13
Jedi High Council
Jedi High Council

Post by Darth_Z13 »

@TheRocket, I can't understand what you said.

Also, I can't believe LucasArts hasn't tried to buy out the Conversion Pack yet. It is their stuff after all.
darthgunray
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Mod

Post by darthgunray »

Darth_Z13 wrote:@TheRocket, I can't understand what you said.

Also, I can't believe LucasArts hasn't tried to buy out the Conversion Pack yet. It is their stuff after all.
I don't believe Teancum advertised the mod to the public, like ign, or major mod sites, when he uploads it to filefront or it gets into some very big site lucasarts will notice it.
Darth_Z13
Jedi High Council
Jedi High Council

RE: Mod

Post by Darth_Z13 »

Oh but he has. It's goin global.
Elmo
Field Commander
Field Commander

Re: Look at what it has come to.....

Post by Elmo »

Thire wrote:Can you all believe what this started as? A simple map pack just to give us the battlefront 1 experience? Look at what it has come to now, anyone else care to discuss?
actually when i downloaded 1.0 and it was WAY more than just the BF1 maps...

It was new heroes and vehicles.. that's what excited me the most... :wink:
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life

RE: Re: Look at what it has come to.....

Post by DeathRow »

Same here Elmo.
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

I remember when Teancum, DD, and the other TAW guys made the old SWBF1 maps. I was very happy when I first came to GT as a guest to download them. I remember playing them alot with my friends (online).

Then Teancum had talk about a pack to put them all together. I remember DD didnt want to be apart of the project as he gave up modding. But I begged him to give Teancum Rhen Var: Harbor and Genosis: Spire and eventually he did.

Teancum never said there would be old SWBF1 maps converted to SWBF2 or any new heros or troops that werent in SWBF1. Small project to huge deal.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Yeah. It's like grown majorly. I think when I came here, it was 1.0, and I didn't know anything about it...

Tean' would be rich if LucasArts bought it from him :P
DS_jawathehutt
Private Second Class

Post by DS_jawathehutt »

free radical should hire him :P
DooFi

Post by DooFi »

Free Radical will (hopefully) use a different engine. Probably one that has decent lighting, per-pixel-lighting, normal-mapping, more polygons, an editor... Otherwise I would't even buy the game
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

I wouldn't work for Free Radical. I think they use BSP engines (like Quake 1/2/3/Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy/Doom 3/Quake 4) and I can't stand them. I much prefer a terrain-style editor like the Battlefield series or SWBF.
DooFi

Post by DooFi »

see.. i like bsp-engines like UEngine^^
Say you make the models and scripting stuff and i make the levels. Deal? xD
Penguin
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Penguin »

No offence to the people who worked day and night for the pack. But I dislike it((A nice way to put it)) All I really wanted from it was to be able to play the SWBF 1 maps just with the stand sides/heros etc. Not all this additional stuff that was thrown in
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Well, they're not that hard to convert if that's all you want. Just convert the maps, add some lighting. As for me, I saw it as an opportunity to make SWBF2 what it should have been.
Last edited by Teancum on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ateas

Post by Ateas »

No offence to the people who worked day and night for the pack. But I dislike it((A nice way to put it)) All I really wanted from it was to be able to play the SWBF 1 maps just with the stand sides/heros etc. Not all this additional stuff that was thrown in
^Really? I wasn't intrested in it until I saw the new stuff...