Race-themed map competition

This forum is used for voting in various GT sponsored competitions or announcing upcoming events. Now open to the public. Before you ask, only Mods can create polls, but all members can vote in them.

Moderator: Moderators

Taivyx
2008 Best Games Related Avatar
Projects :: Terra Strife - discontinued
Games I'm Playing :: none
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Race-themed map competition

Post by Taivyx »

Okay.
Seeing as this is about to die, I am officially entering my first map - Hak'orth: Magma Circuit.
[description deleted to maintain secrecy, I know, that was late]

Remember - the deadline for submitting maps is November 25th!
Good luck!
Last edited by Taivyx on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Just to make it easier for all of you, and cause I've had requests for it in the past, here's the .tga file that I used to make directional arrows for my track (.tga goes with the pol_bldg_radar_panel.msh and associated .odf).
GolfBulb

Post by GolfBulb »

Good luck to everyone! cant wait to see the finished produtcs!

:atat:
MetalcoreRancor
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: swbf origin

Post by MetalcoreRancor »

Hi, I created a map that I haven't had the chance to release on GT yet, called Rancor Galactic Park.

I created a race track on this course, with custom racers (couchs provided by Caleb who got them from someone else.. it was mentioned in credits) The problem is, the map does not have a special 'race' mode, everything is in one mode and works together. The race course is of course placed around the theme park so its not going to intrude on the racing. Is this map legible for the competition? I will see if I cant get some screens up of it in action soon.
Taivyx

Post by Taivyx »

Hmmm......... if it actually does have feeling of racing to it, then sure.

My suggestion would be to add a race mode, but one mode with a racetrack will work at this point.
MetalcoreRancor
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: swbf origin

Post by MetalcoreRancor »

It really is a good race, I'll explain a bit of it.

It is a square shaped track, with giant explodable donuts placed strategically throughout the course. Because the racers have 2 seats, a co-pilot has access to the couch's weapon, which is a Magna Guard's missle blaster. A well timed shot to the donut will explode, dealing 5000 damage to anyone near it within a radius of 200. Meaning it is best to avoid these areas if people are behind you.

So in reality, even if there are 6 couchs available, there are really 12 players able to compete. The only issue with the course itself is there are areas where your racer can fall outside, if they run into a specific type of mountain side. If Im going to release it as a racing map I will fix this up I suppose.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Taivyx wrote:Must have scoring system, start and end, and time tracking.
What is time tracking?
Maveritchell wrote:I'd recommend standardizing the race mode coding
I would vote no to that.
Taivyx

Post by Taivyx »

Well, the scoring system ties in with the time tracking, as the scoring system is based upon how fast you complete laps.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

[RDH]Zerted wrote:
Taivyx wrote:Must have scoring system, start and end, and time tracking.
What is time tracking?
Maveritchell wrote:I'd recommend standardizing the race mode coding
I would vote no to that.
Time tracking - you know, it keeps track of how long it took you to race. And standardizing the race coding just makes it easier, contest-wise, because then you can just judge based on maps, rather than having to judge maps and check to see if there are any holes in the race coding.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Since SWBF2 timers don't count up, I didn't think there was a way to keep track of time. I guess I forgot about ScriptCB_GetMissionTime().

Assuming the higher scoring maps don't use a standard race mode, I'd be willing to review them for flaws and possible fixes. Most people won't be creating their mode from scratch, so why limit those few who would want to do something a bit different?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

[RDH]Zerted wrote:Since SWBF2 timers don't count up, I didn't think there was a way to keep track of time. I guess I forgot about ScriptCB_GetMissionTime().

Assuming the higher scoring maps don't use a standard race mode, I'd be willing to review them for flaws and possible fixes. Most people won't be creating their mode from scratch, so why limit those few who would want to do something a bit different?
In that case, I'd see no problem with custom modes. I just didn't want there to be a hassle, cause I know I had a lot of bugchecking to do when I made mine. And I didn't use the GetMissionTime, I just used a basic timer and made the score a factor of the remaining time.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

If this competition is a go, i'm may submit my Boras II: Stunt Course 3.0
Taivyx

Post by Taivyx »

Updated first post with contestant entrants. :)
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

hmmm...how exactly doest the point system work? Do you go through some sort of region that adds a point to your score? Because what can stop people from just going in and out of the region for points, not to mention how the race is actually organized.

the way i have my map set up, i have one cp for each team at either end of the track. there are 2 small and 1 major neutral cps along the track, the major one being in the middle. This way, you have three options for a race, go half way from either end, or to do the whole track.

I can change it to three of these formats:

The way it is now:

Having dual cps at either end

Having Dual cps at start and none at finish, as well as making the major neutral cp less major and closer to the main track.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

I included documentation on how racemode works and using racemode in the download.
Racemode Source + Documentation

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do with your neutral CPs there, but my racemode works thusly:
Travel in a circuit. When you complete a circuit, you get a tick added to your lap counter. When you get a certain amount of laps(/ticks, the default is 5), you get points based on how much time is left on the clock. Quicker finish = more points.
It prevents you from reentering the points region multiple times by having the points region need to be triggered by another region. (Alternatively, this could be made more robust but unnecessarily complex by adding multiple trigger regions, each one triggering the next). The trigger region is either set at a place near the end of the track (but must be inaccessible traveling backwards - i.e. a dropoff before the finish, see Ralltiir: Swoop Circuit) or the trigger region can be set halfway around the track.

I'm not sure if you're trying to implement my race mode, but if you have any questions, let me know. Hopefully you shouldn't, since I feel that I was pretty clear in my documentation.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

ah, so it seems this works better as a loop rather than a start to finish.

I set it up the way i did so it could work like conquest, where you're trying to capture the cps along the track.
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

I'm entering a map titled Coruscant: Speedway. I'm not going to give out any information at this time.
lieutenantcoda

Post by lieutenantcoda »

well, if the deadline is December 15, then i suggest the Annual Swoop/Podracing Competition be held on December 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 or 23
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

im still confused on how mav's system works. Where do the "points" go. I tried it in my map and nothing happenned instead of my game freezing randomly once. I put in the four required regions.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

If by "points" you mean regions, then I included screenshots to show where to place them. If you've got some questions you need elucidated, then just Xfire me @ "Maveritchell."