Modeling Essay

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Modeling Essay

Post by Caleb1117 »

An essay (i.e. writing) is a form of media correct? If not please move to Off-Topic.

Hey guys, I'm being tutored in Essay writing for part of this year to prepare me for the ACT/SAT. My tutor gave me the choice of my first essay and I thought 3D modeling would be a cool topic. Then I discovered that my tutor knew absolutely nothing about the topic... I mean nothing, she thought I was talking about clay. >.<

So I simplified it.
Anyway, this is it I just wanted to know what you guys think. If you see an error, please do not restrain yourself, I'm allowed to ask friends and such about my writing. :wink:

Modeling: the first step into a 3D world.

There are a lot of job options available to young people who are looking to find a career. Some of the fastest growing jobs are in the gaming industry. An important job in this popular field is that of a 3D modeler. Such a person fills many needed roles in a 3D design crew. However, not many people understand the modeling process. The basis of modeling involves geometry, primitive shapes, and the manipulation of these shapes.

As most people who have taken a geometry class in school will know, geometric shapes are made of points, lines segments, and polygons. A point defines a specific location on a plane and has no dimensions of its own. Line segments have only one dimension, length. A line segment connects two points via the shortest path. A polygon is a two-dimensional geometric figure made of straight line segments. Notice that as each part joins with another, their numbers of dimensions grow. Points have no dimension, but when joined with a line, they gain 1 dimensional status. When a group of line segments join they make a 2D polygon. Finally when several polygons join together, they form a 3D shape called a polygon mesh.

Most modeling programs offer sets of primitives to make the modeling process faster. A primitive is a basic 3D geometric shape. Primitives make the modeling process easier by providing pre-made simple shapes that the modeler can alter into other shapes. Typically a modeling program has at least 5 primitives: a cube, cylinder, sphere, cone, and Torus. When creating a primitive, the modeler is given the option of adding subdivisions to the shape. Subdivision is the process of attaching additional line segments to the poly mesh. Extra segments do not initially change the shape of the primitive. Subdivisions make it easier to manipulate the primitive, to a greater extent than would be possible with the basic number of line segments.

If someone was restricted to only using basic shapes for modeling, constructing more complex things, such as an animal would be impossible. This is what manipulation is for; many techniques exist to, manually or automatically, substantially alter the shape of primitives. There are three manual manipulations translation, rotation, and scale. Translation moves the selected item, rotation rotates it, and scale allows you to alter its size. All of these transforms can be used in any or all of the three planes, and can also be used on any part points, lines, or the whole model. Many automatic manipulators are available which complete tasks that would be too tedious, or even impossible to do the manual way. One such example is Boolean which allows you to cut a hole based on the shape of a poly mesh and how it intersects with a model.

Understanding geometry, shapes, and manipulation of those shapes, a job in 3D design and modeling, may sound rather interesting. Building a model point by point, line by line is a seldom used method but vital to know. Primitives make the whole process faster and easier. Finally manipulators help to create something truly fantastic. With the many job options available to people today, hopefully this essay has enlightened a possibility that had not yet been considered.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Re: Modeling Essay

Post by Eggman »

I'm taking AP Lit. and Composition this year, so I've been getting lots of experience with timed writing, and subsequently having that writing torn apart or tearing apart the writing of others. :)

You did a great job of explaining the topic. I personally knew next to nothing about 3D modeling, but after reading your essay I feel somewhat informed. You have a clear and logical structure, which makes a potentially confusing topic easy to follow and understand.

Now, to start ripping into it. :P
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote]There are a lot of job options available to young people who are looking to find a career.[/quote]

-Never, ever begin an essay with "there are." In fact, it's best to avoid using the phrase at all.
-"A lot" is a weak descriptor.

A better introduction might be something like, "Young people today are faced with an unprecedented number of career choices."

[quote]Notice that as each part joins with another, their numbers of dimensions grow.[/quote]

-Cut "notice that." Phrases like that break the flow of the writing by reaching out and commanding the reader to do something. You can get the same point across by just saying, "As each part joins with another, their numbers of dimensions grow."

[quote]Typically a modeling program has at least 5 primitives: a cube, cylinder, sphere, cone, and Torus.[/quote]

-You might want to explain what a torus is. Another option would be to cut this sentence, since it isn't essential information.

[quote]Subdivisions make it easier to manipulate the primitive, to a greater extent than would be possible with the basic number of line segments.[/quote]

-Remove the comma.

[quote]If someone was restricted to only using basic shapes for modeling, constructing more complex things, such as an animal would be impossible.[/quote]

-"Someone" is a broad word. A better way to phrase the first part of the sentence would be, "If modelers were restricted to using only basic shapes, constructing..." Note that I cut out "modeling" to avoid repetitive-sounding words.
-"Things" is also a very broad word. Always use concrete words in your writing. Change "things" to "models" or "objects."
-Since "models" and "objects" are both plural, the example you use should be plural as well. Change "animal" to "animals."
-Remove the second comma (complex things, such as).

[quote]many techniques exist to, manually or automatically, substantially alter the shape of primitives.[/quote]

-The use of commas is awkward. Change to "Many techniques exist to manually or automatically alter the shape of the primitives."

[quote]There are three manual manipulations translation, rotation, and scale.[/quote]

-This might just be a typo, but make sure you have a colon between "manipulations" and "translation."

[quote]and scale allows you to alter its size.[/quote]

-You are writing an essay for a wide audience, so avoid using "you." Change to: "and scale alters its size."

[quote]Many automatic manipulators are available which complete tasks that would be too tedious, or even impossible to do the manual way.[/quote]

-"Which" makes this sentence awkward. In this case, it would be best to use "to" in place of "which."

[quote]One such example is Boolean which allows you to cut a hole based on the shape of a poly mesh and how it intersects with a model.[/quote]

-Again, don't use "you."

[quote]Understanding geometry, shapes, and manipulation of those shapes, a job in 3D design and modeling, may sound rather interesting.[/quote]

-Awkward sentence
-"May sound interesting" is an unsure statement. You should always use concrete words and statements when writing an informative or persuasive essay.

[quote]Finally manipulators help to create something truly fantastic.[/quote]

-Make sure to have a comma between "finally" and "manipulators."
-"Something" is another broad word. Change to: "Finally, manipulators help to create a truly fantastic model."

[quote]With the many job options available to people today, hopefully this essay has enlightened a possibility that had not yet been considered.[/quote]

-Weak conclusion
-A better clonclusion might be something like: "A career in 3D modeling is an exciting career option in a fast-growing industry."
-Mini-grammar lesson for the day: "Hopefully" is an adverb, and as such should only be used to modify verbs.

Definition of "hopefully" from wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn: with hope; in a hopeful manner

Example of proper usage: "The dog looked hopefully at the man holding the bone."

The way you use the word is grammatically incorrect, but is actually an extremely common mistake. I never learned about this until a few months ago when a teacher pointed it out in my writing. Now I cringe whenever I hear somebody use the word improperly.

Overall, a solid essay. The only things to work on are small stylistic techniques and making sure that all grammatical errors are fixed.
Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Modeling Essay

Post by Caleb1117 »

Thanks alot! I'm not all that good at the whole English thing so I'm looking for all the help I can get to learn and remember the rules and finer applications. I'm glad you spotted those uses of "you" in particular, my tutor has a thing about that.