Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

redgroupclan
High General
High General
Location: For less cheap gameplay - BF2 v1.1 server "NoEngineersAntiGlitch"

Re: Avatar...

Post by redgroupclan »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:Unless your IQ is a negative number.
Oh, good. I'm safe. :roll:
Is there any hint to what the sequel is about?
Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

redgroupclan wrote:
Darth_Squoobus wrote:Unless your IQ is a negative number.
Oh, good. I'm safe. :roll:
Is there any hint to what the sequel is about?
Getting more money, of course.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

While claiming to be the smart ones in the situation, I would advise you to please listen when someone tells you to stop. Especially if that person has had to deal with an obnoxious spammer all week and really isn't in the mood for anything else to happen.

You've made your points, you don't like Avatar. While we do encourage posting on this board, we do not reinforce negativity. It's time to leave.
DarthHamster
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DarthHamster »

redgroupclan wrote:Is there any hint to what the sequel is about?
Here's MTV's take on it.
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="MTV Movies Blog"]Shortly before "Avatar" came out, director James Cameron told MTV that he has a larger story in mind for the movie's universe. "We'll follow Jake and Neytiri," he said. "I have a trilogy-scaled arc of story right now, but I haven't really put any serious work into writing a script."

At that point, there was nothing official to announce. People knew the movie was going to make money -- this is James Cameron we're talking about -- but no one could know just what a monumental success "Avatar" would become. Now that we know? Cameron's much more open to discussing what's next.
At a Q&A with Cameron held in Los Angeles earlier this week, Ain't It Cool News reported that the director said, "Yes, there'll be another." Four simple words, and we have confirmation that a sequel will happen. Not that anyone really doubted it I think, given the amount of money spent developing the technology and the time required to transform stars Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana into Na'vi.

Now that there's confirmation, we can really get to the nitty-gritty of thinking about what's next. A few weeks ago, MTV contributor Josh Wigler considered the possibility of future stories in the "Avatar" universe moving away from Pandora and onto another of the planet Polyphemus's orbiting moons. A companion novel released alongside the movie, "Avatar: An Activist Survival Guide," indicates that there are two moons orbiting the gas-giant with nitrogen-oxygen atmospheres (a la Earth).

That said, I would still expect Pandora to factor heavily into the next movie. As we all saw in "Avatar," there are a variety of distinctly different Na'vi tribes that call the planet their home. And with the first movie focused as it was on the tribe built up around the Hometree, we really never got a sense of how intra-species politics work between the different tribes.

I think it's likely that the next movie will delve deeper into the Na'vi people and the differences between them. They are painted in very broad strokes in "Avatar," a subjugated race, outclassed and outgunned by human colonists. With the RDA out of the picture for the time being, we should come to recognize the Na'vi less as a singular group and more as a varied species, with the same sorts of subdivisions and class difference that define the human race.

One scenario I could picture for the sequel would focus squarely on internal strife among the Na'vi. Presuming that Cameron has plans for a cliffhanger-conclusion in the second and third entries in his planned trilogy, the entirely of the second movie could set up a Pandora world war of sorts, only to have human aggressors show up at the very end, while the indigenous population is at odds. This would create a nice bridge into the third film, in which the Na'vi would be forced to band together once again.

There's also Unobtainium, the rare mineral that brought humans to Pandora in the first place. It isn't discussed a great deal in the movie, but the "Activist Survival Guide" notes that humans use it for interstellar/deep space travel. In another scenario, the RDA could conceivably return to the Na'vi with an outstretched hand, as Earth's supplies of the valuable mineral start to dwindle.

And now that Jake and Neytiri are both properly coupled Na'vi, a damsel-in-distress storyline -- or perhaps a genre-twisting gentleman-in-distress? -- seems inevitable. One of the two will be captured or in some way taken out of the picture by malevolent forces, requiring the other to embark on a desperate quest to save him/her. A more personal, Na'vi-centric story would be a refreshing change after the sweeping epic that is "Avatar."

These are just a few ideas; I'm sure whatever Cameron's cooking up, it's far more detailed and filled with otherworldly wonders that we've yet to even see. But now that a sequel is confirmed to be coming, the speculation can begin.[/quote]
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/08/av ... ke-to-see/
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

DarthHamster wrote:
Here's MTV's take on it.
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="MTV Movies Blog"]Shortly before "Avatar" came out, director James Cameron told MTV that he has a larger story in mind for the movie's universe. "We'll follow Jake and Neytiri," he said. "I have a trilogy-scaled arc of story right now, but I haven't really put any serious work into writing a script."

At that point, there was nothing official to announce. People knew the movie was going to make money -- this is James Cameron we're talking about -- but no one could know just what a monumental success "Avatar" would become. Now that we know? Cameron's much more open to discussing what's next.
At a Q&A with Cameron held in Los Angeles earlier this week, Ain't It Cool News reported that the director said, "Yes, there'll be another." Four simple words, and we have confirmation that a sequel will happen. Not that anyone really doubted it I think, given the amount of money spent developing the technology and the time required to transform stars Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana into Na'vi.

Now that there's confirmation, we can really get to the nitty-gritty of thinking about what's next. A few weeks ago, MTV contributor Josh Wigler considered the possibility of future stories in the "Avatar" universe moving away from Pandora and onto another of the planet Polyphemus's orbiting moons. A companion novel released alongside the movie, "Avatar: An Activist Survival Guide," indicates that there are two moons orbiting the gas-giant with nitrogen-oxygen atmospheres (a la Earth).

That said, I would still expect Pandora to factor heavily into the next movie. As we all saw in "Avatar," there are a variety of distinctly different Na'vi tribes that call the planet their home. And with the first movie focused as it was on the tribe built up around the Hometree, we really never got a sense of how intra-species politics work between the different tribes.

I think it's likely that the next movie will delve deeper into the Na'vi people and the differences between them. They are painted in very broad strokes in "Avatar," a subjugated race, outclassed and outgunned by human colonists. With the RDA out of the picture for the time being, we should come to recognize the Na'vi less as a singular group and more as a varied species, with the same sorts of subdivisions and class difference that define the human race.

One scenario I could picture for the sequel would focus squarely on internal strife among the Na'vi. Presuming that Cameron has plans for a cliffhanger-conclusion in the second and third entries in his planned trilogy, the entirely of the second movie could set up a Pandora world war of sorts, only to have human aggressors show up at the very end, while the indigenous population is at odds. This would create a nice bridge into the third film, in which the Na'vi would be forced to band together once again.

There's also Unobtainium, the rare mineral that brought humans to Pandora in the first place. It isn't discussed a great deal in the movie, but the "Activist Survival Guide" notes that humans use it for interstellar/deep space travel. In another scenario, the RDA could conceivably return to the Na'vi with an outstretched hand, as Earth's supplies of the valuable mineral start to dwindle.

And now that Jake and Neytiri are both properly coupled Na'vi, a damsel-in-distress storyline -- or perhaps a genre-twisting gentleman-in-distress? -- seems inevitable. One of the two will be captured or in some way taken out of the picture by malevolent forces, requiring the other to embark on a desperate quest to save him/her. A more personal, Na'vi-centric story would be a refreshing change after the sweeping epic that is "Avatar."

These are just a few ideas; I'm sure whatever Cameron's cooking up, it's far more detailed and filled with otherworldly wonders that we've yet to even see. But now that a sequel is confirmed to be coming, the speculation can begin.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/08/av ... ke-to-see/[/quote]
It sounds like the third one is going to be a rehash of the first.
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:
DarthHamster wrote:
Here's MTV's take on it.
Hidden/Spoiler:

These are just a few ideas; I'm sure whatever Cameron's cooking up, it's far more detailed and filled with otherworldly wonders that we've yet to even see. But now that a sequel is confirmed to be coming, the speculation can begin.

It sounds like the third one is going to be a rehash of the first.[/quote]

The above "summary" is purely speculation and not an actual description of the future films.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Xavious wrote:
Darth_Squoobus wrote:
DarthHamster wrote:
Here's MTV's take on it.
Hidden/Spoiler:

It sounds like the third one is going to be a rehash of the first.
The above "summary" is purely speculation and not an actual description of the future films.[/quote]
That's why I said "it sounds like" not "it will be".
DarthHamster
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by DarthHamster »

Xavious wrote:The above "summary" is purely speculation and not an actual description of the future films.
I thought this part of the article would make that perfectly clear to everyone.

Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

DarthHamster wrote:
Xavious wrote:The above "summary" is purely speculation and not an actual description of the future films.
I thought this part of the article would make that perfectly clear to everyone.

Since it's going to be even more otherworldly, I bet realism is going to just fly right out the window.
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

It's Sci-Fi, who said anything about realism?
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Raptor522 wrote:It's Sci-Fi, who said anything about realism?
What does sci-fi stand for again? Science Fiction. And "science" implies a connection to reality, which was sorely lacking in the first movie. cough*floating mountains*cough

If it were fantasy, that would be acceptable. Fantasy requires no connection to the real world. But sci-fi does.
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by RogueKnight »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:
What does sci-fi stand for again? Science Fiction. And "science" implies a connection to reality, which was sorely lacking in the first movie. cough*floating mountains*cough

If it were fantasy, that would be acceptable. Fantasy requires no connection to the real world. But sci-fi does.
So are you saying that Star Wars is the worst Sci-Fi movie evar?
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

RogueKnight wrote:
Darth_Squoobus wrote:

So are you saying that Star Wars is the worst Sci-Fi movie evar?
That's a bit different. At least Star Wars took time to explain the force pseudo-scientifically in The Phantom Menace. And other freaky stuff can be explained with real-world physics. (Although a lot of the EU stuff is Diet Dr. Pepper.) Not to mention Star Wars straddles a border between sci-fi and fantasy. So if Avatar was a mix of genres like Star Wars, I would be more forgiving.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:That's a bit different. At least Star Wars took time to explain the force pseudo-scientifically in The Phantom Menace. And other freaky stuff can be explained with real-world physics. (Although a lot of the EU stuff is Diet Dr. Pepper.) Not to mention Star Wars straddles a border between sci-fi and fantasy. So if Avatar was a mix of genres like Star Wars, I would be more forgiving.
It's only different because you like Star Wars and not this (or perhaps you thought Star Wars was absolutely terrible until Episode 1, which would make you the only person on the planet who got on the fan wagon at that point). The movie producers didn't sign a contract with you that said "this movie is literally science fiction" when you bought your ticket. If your preconceived notions classified it that way and you're willing to nitpick about its definition as you are, then perhaps you are simply wrong and you should classify it as a fantasy movie.

Either way, stop asking for attention by disagreeing with anything. Fusion asked you nicely twice, and all you're doing is arguing for the sake of it.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:

As far as I know, Star Wars (which happens to also be sci-fi, to an extent), also never focused on scientific reality. If it did, we wouldn't have Death Star, Anakin, the force, etc.

It's called science fiction because it's roots are somewhere in science, but the main component is FICTION.
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:And "science" implies a connection to reality...
How the [Insert Diet Drink Here] do you figure that? You DO know what science is, don't you? Similarly, you DO know what Science Fiction is, right? The prefix "Sci[ence]" is simply to point out the type of FICTION you're about to experience. Like Grev pretty much just said. Star Wars is no more realistic than Star Trek, which is no more realistic than Stargate, which is- well, you get it. But your definition, whatever it is, really doesn't matter, because it doesn't change anything.

I'm gonna throw a QFT in Mav's direction. I started an argument for the sake of arguing in this topic already, I don't understand why you'd want to look like a bigger jerk than I. There's no prize, trust me, I'd've gotten it by now.