Predators (July 7th)

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Predators (July 7th)

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Robert Rodriguez has directed the third installment in the predator franchise, which will hopefully erase the abomination that is AVP from people's minds. The movie is basically an inversion of Aliens, and the trailer alone restored my faith in summer movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u8vZwvP57Y

Questions? Comments? Flames? Jawas?
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Re: Predators (July 7th)

Post by Jendo7 »

This looks amazing. It has a similar vibe as the original Predator which is one of my all time favourite sci fi movies. I always thought the Aliens V's Predator sequels were pretty dumb, and didn't really make much sense, but this has got classic written all over it, and has gone back to it's roots in a similar vein to Aliens.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Normally I wouldn't bother to hold my breath when it comes to the Alien or Predator franchises, but I think this has the potential to be very good considering the talent pool and promising trailers. Hopefully this will redeem the Predator franchise.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

EraOfDesann wrote:Hopefully this will redeem the Predator franchise.
That's what I'm saying. Ridley Scott is in production of an Alien prequel, in a similar vein to Predators. It really irks me that AVP overshadowed the original franchises.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

Haha. I wonder how long until Darth_Spiderpig posts here. :P I'm betting within 5 posts of this.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

GangsterJawa wrote:Haha. I wonder how long until Darth_Spiderpig posts here. :P I'm betting within 5 posts of this.
Hidden/Spoiler:
:spam: SPAM ALERT!
How is that related to the movie?

Please let the moderating staff do the moderating, thank you. -Staff
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:Questions? Comments? Flames? Jawas?
Flames.

Ugh, I hate remakes, specially when they deal with a franchise I like. I will watch it, but just so I can laugh at Robert Rodriguez's incompetence and say "I told you so" to those who kept telling me to give it a chance.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

OK, I guess I'll comment on the movie. :P

Looks pretty cool, having (please don't kill me) NEVER SEEN any of the previous ones, I don't have much reference to go off of, but it looks like it has a pretty good plot. I'd go see it if it weren't for the fact that Dad would never let me. :|
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Nihillo wrote:
Darth_Squoobus wrote:Questions? Comments? Flames? Jawas?
Flames.

Ugh, I hate remakes, specially when they deal with a franchise I like. I will watch it, but just so I can laugh at Robert Rodriguez's incompetence and say "I told you so" to those who kept telling me to give it a chance.
It's not a remake, it's a sequel. It adheres to the same continuity as the last two films.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Well, admittedly the 'plot' of this movie is fitting: some Predators wanted to have some "fun", so they brought a bunch of tough people from earth to some random planet (their homeworld?) to hunt and kill them all. It's a good setting, I guess, it fits the established mythos and adds an extra element of desperation on the side of the hunted; they are in an alien world, nobody can help them and they definetely won't get the cliché extraction helicopter by the end ("GET TO THE CHOPPPA" as our friend Arnold would say). Plus that's a change for the better, since they wouldn't have the element of surprise from the first movie.
Darth_Squoobus wrote:It's not a remake, it's a sequel. It adheres to the same continuity as the last two films.
Whatever. They are trying to revive a dead movie franchise with a re-imagination of the first movie, I call that a remake.
Darth_Spiderpig
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Something cool...
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CoDBO BFBC2
xbox live or psn: Has no xbox....Yup

Post by Darth_Spiderpig »

GangsterJawa wrote:Haha. I wonder how long until Darth_Spiderpig posts here. :P I'm betting within 5 posts of this.
Hihihihi, fail. :P

On-Topic:
Nihillo wrote:some Predators wanted to have some "fun"
Not only, what they want most is revenge.
All of those which have been brought up to be hunted have killed a Predator before.
This is a new breed too, more aggressive, more deadly, more intelligent and much more brutal (they have hunting dogs...with horns xD)

I hope Rodriguez did a good job reviving the franchise, a definately watch. :thumbs:
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Darth_Spiderpig wrote:This is a new breed too, more aggressive, more deadly, more intelligent and much more brutal
You seem to be confusing these guys:
Hidden/Spoiler:
With these guys:
Hidden/Spoiler:
The aliens from Predator were always aggressive, deadly, intelligent and brutal. However, in the first two films, it was just a lone trophy hunter looking for human skulls. In this one, there's a party of hunters, so needless to say they're not going to do things the same way an indivdual hunter would. It's not a new "breed" at all.
Darth_Spiderpig
Sith Master
Sith Master

Hehe, don't you worry, I know to differ Yautjas and Xenomorphs.

Darth_Squoobus wrote:It's not a new "breed" at all.
If you are sure about that, my apprentice, you know more about the film than Robert Rodriguez.
All I can say is watch this video at 1:02.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Darth_Spiderpig wrote:Hehe, don't you worry, I know to differ Yautjas and Xenomorphs.
Wait... the "Predator" race has a name?
Darth_Spiderpig
Sith Master
Sith Master

Nihillo wrote:
Darth_Spiderpig wrote:Hehe, don't you worry, I know to differ Yautjas and Xenomorphs.
Wait... the "Predator" race has a name?
:yes:
Yautja
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Name:
Predator>Yautja

This actually looks really cool. There's a good set of actors, and some old movie ideas being revisited isn't necessarily bad. In fact, rethinking an old franchise to fit today's viewers isn't a bad idea, and while I'm expecting some of the old parts to come back (like the red laser dots, those creeped me out in the first movie), it's nice to see they've been reinvented a bit.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:It's not a new "breed" at all.
If you are sure about that, my apprentice, you know more about the film than Robert Rodriguez.
All I can say is watch this video at 1:02.
He doesn't mean breed literally. They look the same as the predators from the last two films. The only difference between them is behavior, which is what I was trying to tell you.

@Grev Glad you're as enthusiastic as I am.
MercuryNoodles
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Space - Boarding Action

Post by MercuryNoodles »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG2aYzR9 ... r_embedded

There is, in fact, a new breed of Predator that will be starring alongside the original version. Robert Rodriguez describes the new ones as a "nastier breed" in the "sneak peak" video on the official site, but doesn't reveal much else.

Btw, AvP has had a following for years before any film was made. They didn't overshadow anything. They're just newer than what came before, and already had a following awaiting it's full adaptation to film. Besides, some people identifying with the new stuff more than the old is inevitable. It's just what happens as a franchise gets older and new generations are exposed to the latest installments first.

I expect this to breathe some new life into the franchise, since this is taking a back to basics with a slight twist approach. Also, if Laurence Fishburne and Danny Trejo said they do the movie, that'd be my signal there's something more to this.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

So has anyone seen it yet? I just got back from it and I thought it was pretty good. Much better than Predator 2 or the AVP's and I'd even go so far as to say that it's as enjoyable as the original.

I'd probably give it a 4/5. The ending gets a little convoluted and...
Hidden/Spoiler:
Danny Trejo and Laurence Fishburne are both totally wasted in this movie. Both have very little screentime, especially Trejo.

but other than that I thought it was really well done.
Darth_Spiderpig
Sith Master
Sith Master

IMO this is the best Predator movie up to date.
I love how they make the effect web thingy when Preds cloak or uncloak themselfes.

The Black Super Predator is neat, and these hunting dogs of theirs are pretty neat.

All in all a must see for fans of the Sci-Fi franchise or Predator franchise. :thumbs: