Doctor Who - the newer series (possible old spoliers)

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Doctor Who - the newer series (possible old spoliers)

Post by Teancum »

As an American this isn't exactly a show I grew up on - but the new series with Eccleson and Tenant as The Doctor are on Netflix and I enjoy some Sci-Fi, so I gave it a go. And I have some thoughts and questions...

*Tenant is a lot of fun to watch. Eccleson was pretty good, but didn't have as much personality. The new guy's season isn't on Netflix, but from what I saw at the end of the last special he seems... ok
*Given the light-heartedness of The Doctor I'm surprised how dark certain episodes were. They were borderline TV Horror. (episode about the library planet, I'm looking at you! I was so creeped out!)
*Speaking of creepy.... Ood. That's all I have to say. Oh, and Davros.
*The visual effects are all over the place. Cybermen and Daleks look great, but the red spider lady looked really 1980's. (I just ended up stopping that episode)
*Why did the 10th doctor get so upset about regenerating? I mean, he regenerated, right? So he should remember everyone.
*What's the deal with The Master at the end of the 09 special? Being new to the series, I was under the impression that the Time Lords implanted memories and ideas in his mind from a child, effectively making him who he was.
*What leads The Doctor and his companions to their next destination? Sometimes I saw that he got notes or things from people asking him to visit, other times I was totally lost.

All in all I don't think I'll be watching any more episodes. I really liked some, but it just falls to far to the horror flick side of Sci-Fi to be enjoyable for me.
SilvaDalek
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny and FIFA
xbox live or psn: TH3 R0LL3R

Re: Doctor Who - the newer series (possible old spoliers)

Post by SilvaDalek »

Teancum wrote:As an American this isn't exactly a show I grew up on - but the new series with Eccleson and Tenant as The Doctor are on Netflix and I enjoy some Sci-Fi, so I gave it a go. And I have some thoughts and questions...

*Tenant is a lot of fun to watch. Eccleson was pretty good, but didn't have as much personality. The new guy's season isn't on Netflix, but from what I saw at the end of the last special he seems... ok
*Given the light-heartedness of The Doctor I'm surprised how dark certain episodes were. They were borderline TV Horror. (episode about the library planet, I'm looking at you! I was so creeped out!)
*Speaking of creepy.... Ood. That's all I have to say. Oh, and Davros.
*The visual effects are all over the place. Cybermen and Daleks look great, but the red spider lady looked really 1980's. (I just ended up stopping that episode)
*Why did the 10th doctor get so upset about regenerating? I mean, he regenerated, right? So he should remember everyone.
*What's the deal with The Master at the end of the 09 special? Being new to the series, I was under the impression that the Time Lords implanted memories and ideas in his mind from a child, effectively making him who he was.
*What leads The Doctor and his companions to their next destination? Sometimes I saw that he got notes or things from people asking him to visit, other times I was totally lost.

All in all I don't think I'll be watching any more episodes. I really liked some, but it just falls to far to the horror flick side of Sci-Fi to be enjoyable for me.
10th Doctor got upset about regenerating because it's almost like the "new" doctor isn't really him, but someone else + timelords can only regenerate like 12 times or something.
What happens in the 09 special, I don't remember which episode is what anymore.
Sometimes they go places they want, other times they are invited, and sometimes dragged unwillingly places, or randomly go anywhere.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Here's the synopsis of the 09 special. I don't really know enough about the show to make sense of it.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_End_of ... V_story%29
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Well Tean, it's good that you quit, because Stephen Moffat, writer of the "scary" episodes, is the new head writer. We even got the return of the WEEPING ANGELS
My sister and I can't wait for the new Christmas Special. Usually, the Christmas special first airs IN JUNE but it's actually airing on Christmas this year.

Oh, and by the way:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Don't blink.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:Well Tean, it's good that you quit, because Stephen Moffat, writer of the "scary" episodes, is the new head writer. We even got the return of the WEEPING ANGELS
My sister and I can't wait for the new Christmas Special. Usually, the Christmas special first airs IN JUNE but it's actually airing on Christmas this year.

Oh, and by the way:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Don't blink.
THAT WAS NOT COOL. Really... I didn't expect that. Some warning would be nice next time. :?
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Oops. Thought you guys saw it coming. :cpu:
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Watched the last five minutes of the 9th's doctor's life because I wanted to see the Bad Wolf entity and see the Dalek Emperor. It was pretty good, but Eccleson doesn't do "happy go lucky" very well. He's better as a ruthless kind of actor. Still, that does it for me. I don't know what it is about Dr Who, but at 31 the show gives me occasional nightmares, no matter how much I like it.