The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Have you seen the new Narnia?

Yes, I saw the premier last night and it was awesome!
9%
Not yet, but I am going to!
9%
Want to, but don't have the money right now
No votes
I will wait until it comes out on Blu-ray and DVD
27%
Nah, I've never really cared much about Narnia
36%
Other
18%

Total votes: 11
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Post by Nova Hawk »

I went to go see the new Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader premier last night with a few of my friends from my church. Regardless of seeing it in 3D (could not find a regular form anywhere near us), it was still pretty good. They stuck to the storyline of the book pretty well, they left out a couple parts but I won't hold that against them. I would say that it was better than the second (book storyline wise). Overall, I really enjoyed it. Yall should go see it.

Not to mention the actress for Lucy (Georgie Henley) has become a hottie, lol.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Re: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Post by GangsterJawa »

Nova Hawk wrote:I went to go see the new Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader premier last night with a few of my friends from my church. Regardless of seeing it in 3D (could not find a regular form anywhere near us), it was still pretty good. They stuck to the storyline of the book pretty well, they left out a couple parts but I won't hold that against them. I would say that it was better than the second (book storyline wise). Overall, I really enjoyed it. Yall should go see it.

Not to mention the actress for Lucy (Georgie Henley) has become a hottie, lol.
Umm... my brother went to see the premier with some friends, and he said that storyline wise, it had almost nothing to do with the book. Seven swords? Evil fog? Eustace is a dragon most of the time, and the Aslan scrapes it off (Which is very significant from an allegorical standpoint.) The White Witch? In VotDT?
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Whoever was in charge of advertising the movie failed. I was psyched for this but only learned it was out when I was in the theater today.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

GangsterJawa wrote: Umm... my brother went to see the premier with some friends, and he said that storyline wise, it had almost nothing to do with the book. Seven swords? Evil fog? Eustace is a dragon most of the time, and the Aslan scrapes it off (Which is very significant from an allegorical standpoint.) The White Witch? In VotDT?
I don't have much interest in seeing the movie, but seriously? It's just not smart to change almost everything in the book.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Grev wrote:Whoever was in charge of advertising the movie failed. I was psyched for this but only learned it was out when I was in the theater today.
I've been seeing trailers and release dates for it since about June.

I just went to see it last night, and actually enjoyed it more than the Harry Potter movie. Overall I thought the character development was great, the acting average, though a few actors stood out above others (Eustace, in particular surprisingly). The visual affects were great in some places and strangely unrealistic in others (the green mist was very overlayed-looking rather than a physical mist, this probably because they rendered it 2d, but steam and fluid in general are notoriously hard; the watery merpeople were also poorly rendered). The mythical creatures in this were among my favorites so far (I won't go into detail to avoid spoilers).

I noticed a huge improvement in acting for Prince Caspian (Ben Barnes) since the second movie, in which he appeared to be cast for the pretty face and not much else. However, that may simply be because the second movie suffered from poor scripting, which was a big improvement in the third film. Eustace (Will Poulter, who's surprisingly 17, even though Eustace is 10 in the film) was a hard character to portray, and potentially the most annoying character in the series if done incorrectly. They kept the character's silly antics humorous enough to keep him from getting too irritating, maintaining a nice balance of the two characteristics to keep the film enjoyable. Eustace's character development was the strongest out of the film, albeit fantastical, though that is the purpose of the film after all. I was dismayed by the fact that the actors who portrayed Edmund and Lucy (Skandar Keynes & Georgie Henley respectively) had not improved their acting ability what-so-ever. It wasn't per-say bad but it wasn't strong either (lots of overacting certain parts). The well written script however suited them well enough to make it almost unnoticeable.

Another interesting point to make is that it was very light on the allegory (the context of which I don't want to get into, nor do I want it to be argued about here, being a point of controversy), which the first two films were very heavy on at certain points. There were a few blatant references here and there but they were passable, and overall the film encouraged strong morality and open-mindedness, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I'd say it far surpasses the second film (which some people seem to disagree with me on) and is about level with the first film if not better (though the opening of the wardrobe scene from the first movie still stands in my memory as cinematic brilliance unparalleled by any scene in the two following movies). I look forward to seeing the Silver Chair in 2011.
SilvaDalek
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny and FIFA
xbox live or psn: TH3 R0LL3R

Post by SilvaDalek »

I'm not going to see it unless other people want to.

I thought the second movie they made did so badly that they weren't going to make a 3rd?
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Sorry, but does anyone know what song plays on the trailer? I really want to get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcJTrsUdnz4