Rango

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Rango

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Anyone else see it? I saw it on Sunday and liked it a lot. It was an interesting breed of animated film, occupying some strange middle ground between Dreamworks and Pixar...and Terry Gilliam. It was a weird film to say the least, which I suppose goes without saying since its starring Johnny Depp. It definitely wasn't a kids movie, though I'm sure many would and have enjoyed it.
Hidden/Spoiler:
One thing I enjoyed about the film was the way they portrayed the characters. In contrast to a lot of animated features that contain animals as the main characters, these were not made be cute in any sense of the word. Oftentimes I had trouble trying to figure out what in the world some of them were. Also they chose a particularly difficult creature to animate for Rango, but managed to actually convey emotions in his beady little eyes and crooked face. The film as a whole was very surreal, particularly the sort-of-dream sequences with the fish and the spirit of the west. I also loved the reference to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (another Johnny Depp film which coincidentally is set in the same area outside Las Vegas). Also owls were priceless, particularly during the credits. Honestly, I don't think I've ever enjoyed the credits sequence to a movie so much. I also really liked its allusions to the western genre in general, though I don't think I'd call the film itself a western, just having a western setting. Between Rango flying through the air in a dress dangling from exploding bats with machine guns being driven by a horde of moles and a giant toy fish floating through the air questioning Rango's sense of identity, this was a very weird movie and I loved it.
Here are the trailers for it if you haven't seen em yet:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/185298/movie- ... -trailer-1
http://www.hulu.com/watch/201339/movie- ... -trailer-2
http://www.hulu.com/watch/213577/movie- ... -trailer-3
Last edited by SBF_Dann_Boeing on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lephenix

Re: Rango

Post by Lephenix »

It comes in september in France , looks very fun , and i talked with the modeler of Rango , he is also the modeler of Dobby (Harry Potter) or even Dexter(Star Wars episode 2) .
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

I saw it last Friday and was actually quite surprised. I thought it was gonna be a little kids movie but as I sat and watched it, my opinion of it quickly changed. Sure it was a bit strange (as Dann said) but that's also cuz its lead actor is Johnny Depp (and he's like my top 3 favorite actors).

I did notice that they actually swore in this and I thought that was a bit weird. I know its a country western movie but I never thought they would put language into an animated movie like that. Oh well, that didn't really bother me. Still a pretty good movie, overall.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

Like swore swore, or *Beaver construction project* swore?
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

GangsterJawa wrote:Like swore swore, or *Beaver construction project* swore?
Nah, not that kind of swearing. Only like, "what the hell" and "d****"".
Wonderboy
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Making apples into applesauce
Games I'm Playing :: Age Of Empires II

Post by Wonderboy »

I thought it was a very good movie, as Dann said, very surreal but overall it was amazing. (I'm glad someone saw that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas allusion, I got excited and tried to tell my friend why that was cool, but I don't think he got it.)