Super 8

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Super 8

Post by Marth8880 »

Hey GT, I just got out of the movie Super 8. Being a Spielberg movie, it is an extremely well put together suspenseful thriller with drama and comedy added to the flavor.

In other words, IT WAS REALLY FREAKING GOOD!!!

Thoughts?
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Super 8

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Haven't seen it yet...but I really want to. Have no idea when I'd be able to though...
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

SBF_Dann_Boeing wrote:Haven't seen it yet...but I really want to. Have no idea when I'd be able to though...
It's definitely worth the cost of tickets.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

SBF_Dann_Boeing wrote:Haven't seen it yet...but I really want to. Have no idea when I'd be able to though...

^This.

There are only so many movies I can see in a summer, and Super 8 is not high on that list.
1. Cars 2
2. POTC: On Stranger Tides
---
6. Super 8
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

It was actually directed by JJ Abrams, but you can definitely see Spielberg's influence. I loved it and anyone who doesn't want to see it is depriving themselves of a really good time. It's got action, suspense, humor and a few genuinely touching moments. The young cast is phenomenal and without their talent level the film would have been a failure. It's my favorite movie of the summer thus far (granted I've only seen this, Pirates and X-Men, but still).
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

EraOfDesann wrote:It was actually directed by JJ Abrams, but you can definitely see Spielberg's influence. I loved it and anyone who doesn't want to see it is depriving themselves of a really good time. It's got action, suspense, humor and a few genuinely touching moments. The young cast is phenomenal and without their talent level the film would have been a failure. It's my favorite movie of the summer thus far (granted I've only seen this, Pirates and X-Men, but still).

Yeah, JJ is one of the big reasons why I want to see Super 8, I am a big fan of him. Steven Spielberg and JJ Abrams, thats reason enough alone to watch it.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:2. POTC: On Stranger Tides
What?! What would you want to see ANOTHER abomination of a sequel to a great movie?!?!?
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

I've wanted to see Super 8 since the first teaser for it popped up, despite it being as vague & uninformative as every Cloverfield ad ever. Of course, I loved Cloverfield, and I'm a big fan of JJ Abrams, so I definitely wanna see it. Unfortunately, it's a matter of when I'll be able to for me as well.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Just got back from seeing it today. Was quite good. Though it didn't really bring anything new to the table (it was an odd combination of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Stand By Me) it was entertaining and had some great characters. All the kids had distinct and identifiable personalities and all acted brilliantly. Being set in the late 1970s makes this movie harken even more back to that era in the movies (though I thought having Don't Bring Me Down by ELO to be a bit jarring...though it was released at that time).

It did use a lot of CGI but in a sort of reserved fashion. J.J. did a nice job of holding back to keep it down to earth, as a lot of movies these days seem to well...get a little caught up in it. I don't want to give a way too much outside of spoiler tags here but I do like the idea of keeping the suspense up for the duration of the movie, never quite letting the viewer in on all of what was going on until the end. The movie had a lot of interesting sub-plots going on too between the kids and their families. The father was portrayed brilliantly (basically the same role Tom Cruise had in the War of the Worlds remake but Kyle Chandler does it much much better).

I'm happy to see a lot of new faces in this movie including Joel Courtney, Riley Griffiths who did a brilliant job as Joe Lamb (the main kid) and Charles (the director kid) respectively. I was surprised that this was their first feature film, particularly in Griffiths case, as he did probably the best out of all the kids (though Ryan Lee did good as Cary, the budding pyromaniac).

I'm on the fence about some of the stylistic choices. The lens flares were an interesting choice (harkening even more back to older eras of film), though I thought the audio at some points was a bit excessive. Being a modern thriller/scifi movie, it couldn't escape having lots of explosions and crashing vehicles. Abrams seems to have gone to lot of trouble to making every single one of these explosions and collisions realistically loud and gritty sounding as possible (though this probably varies from theater to theater).

It also couldn't escape a little romantic interest here and there but what can you do...they did a good job of keeping those parts funny and interesting rather than being corny and cheesy (it even poked a bit of fun at romantic interests in movies on several occasions).

The ending was a bit... "well ok I guess that's it then" but it didn't deter my opinion of the movie. Don't expect anything too surprising or groundbreaking here. The progression of the movie is the important part of it, not so much the outcome. (Here's hoping that they won't make a sequel...)

Overall I would definitely recommend seeing it above most of the other movies coming out now. While I'm sure plenty are swamping the theaters to see Jack-Black-is-a-Panda #2, Quirky-Pirate-Movie #4, and Harry Potter #7 Part II Episode 8, (They're all fine movies, I'm just poking fun here) I'd hate to see such a good film like this get overlooked (I didn't even know it was released until two days ago). Go see it!!
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

I actually got to see it with my friend today. I really enjoyed it. I'm too tired/lazy to give a full opinion of it right now, but, I'd recommend it. It was definitely interesting to see JJ make a monster movie with an ending that gave some sorta closure *ahemcloverfieldahem*. :thumbs: