Horror and the like

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Horror and the like

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

While we have had a "phobia" thread, I just want to take the time to discuss Horror films, the scariest ones you've seen, the least scariest, and your theorems on what made them scary.

Alot of us are probably too jaded for Horror movies anymore, for various sundry reasons. The most common complaint is that horror movies show us too much too soon and the scare loses novelty, which is true for several movies that came out during the last decade. For me, however, a movie that goes too far into the opposite direction was a movie that failed to scare me. That movie would be Paranormal Activity. To me, it was just one big cop-out from start to finish. Halfway through the movie and the scariest thing that happens is a door slams open and shut by itself. Yawn. The original House on Haunted Hill was scarier despite baddies that never appear on screen because they were a real threat. Instead of knocking over furniture every 45 minutes they shook the entire house violently. But that wasn't the scariest movie I ever saw...

That movie would be The Thing. Playing on a scare of disease that has never ended since the late 20th century, it focuses on themes of paranoia and distrust as scientists in Antarctica must find a way to get rid of an alien that can assimilate, as well as imitate anything it touches. Sounds cheesy, but it's definitely a lot scarier than it sounds.

Now i want to hear from you.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Horror and the like

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

While I'm not one for horror movies, I've seen a number of classics, most of which are pretty funny in their dated corniness. However, you could not pay me money to ever see Eraserhead again. Ever. It's not shock horror like most horror movies today go for. It's just a nightmare. A real nightmare. You just feel this sense of dread through the whole thing but you can't stop watching it. It gets worse and worse and worse...horrible ugly disturbing things happen. The lady in the radiator's song still creeps me out when I see clips of it (though compared to the rest of the movie it's uplifiting). Still though...Never never ever want to see that movie again. I couldn't eat meat for a week after that.
Last edited by SBF_Dann_Boeing on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Any slasher film disgusts me and I never get scared from those, so those are defiantly not the scariest.

The Thing is a good movie, I like that one, but again, not scary.

I would have to say the only "horror" movie I have seen the genuinely scared me was The Forth Kind. Now this movie just freaks me out a little just to think about it. The thing that makes it so scary is that they use as much real footage and audio recordings as possible throughout the movie, showing reenactments side by side with real footage or audio. Its never gave me nightmares, movies don't do that. But it did make me uneasy for the next week or so.

However, I am no longer afraid of the movie, for I found out that its all fake. The film was designed to trick you into believing its a real documentary, but its not.

So basically at the end of the day I am not really scared by most if not all horror movies. I find most to be silly, especially zombie movies.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

THEWULFMAN wrote:So basically at the end of the day I am not really scared by most if not all horror movies. I find most to be silly, especially zombie movies.
In my eyes, though, zombies are a lot cooler than vampires, which have been stupid and effeminate since "Interview With the Vampire". To be fair though, neither are scary anymore.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

So I have a confession.... currently, I'm not frightened by all that much, and I don't watch horror movies as a rule. However, I have lost sleep after 2 movies.

The first was Jurassic Park. The dinosaurs, at the time I watched it (I was 12.... which is kinda embarrassing actually) were just kinda scary, at least at night. Of course, it didn't help, that the VERY NEXT DAY after I watched it, the power went out. I completely lost my appetite (It was right around dinner time) and I couldn't really sleep that night.

That on, however, didn't even compare to the full 2 weeks I lost sleep after one movie.

And that movie was....

Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

Yup. I'm serious. I lost weeks of sleep after that movie. EVERY SINGLE SHADOW IN THE WINDOW was a were-rabbit. Which, in retrospect, isn't that scary. But for my 11-year-old self (Yes, I was 11. Yes, that's still kinda embarrassing), it was the stuff of nightmares. Literally.
Wonderboy
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Making apples into applesauce
Games I'm Playing :: Age Of Empires II

Post by Wonderboy »

SBF_Dann_Boeing wrote:While I'm not one for horror movies, I've seen a number of classics, most of which are pretty funny in their dated corniness. However, you could not pay me money to ever see Eraserhead again. Ever. It's not shock horror like most horror movies today go for. It's just a nightmare. A real nightmare. You just feel this sense of dread through the whole thing but you can't stop watching it. It gets worse and worse and worse...horrible ugly disturbing things happen. The lady in the radiator's song still creeps me out when I see clips of it (though compared to the rest of the movie it's uplifiting). Still though...Never never ever want to see that movie again. I couldn't eat meat for a week after that.
I haven't seen the movie, but I saw The Lady in the Radiator singing In Heaven on YouTube. God, that was sooo creepy. I wanted to watch the movie and not watch at the same time.
Darth_Spiderpig
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Something cool...
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CoDBO BFBC2
xbox live or psn: Has no xbox....Yup

Post by Darth_Spiderpig »

That baby looks like a Mon Calamari! :shock:

Just was too curious and checked youtube for some more material, just saw the worst part I think.

Don't ask me how I like it...ever. :runaway:

@Gangsterjawa: Funny, after watching Jurrasic Park for the first time I couldn't sleep for about half a year (!)...yeah, I was very young, into Dinosaurs and stuff, but never saw a T-Rex consuming Human...not right. >_>

Great, it's 3:45am now...thougts, get offa me!

Oh well, gnite!
ShadowWing
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: I will start modding when I get time.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by ShadowWing »

GangsterJawa wrote:I don't watch horror movies as a rule.
Same here.
GangsterJawa wrote: The first was Jurassic Park. The dinosaurs, at the time I watched it (I was 12.... which is kinda embarrassing actually) were just kinda scary, at least at night. Of course, it didn't help, that the VERY NEXT DAY after I watched it, the power went out. I completely lost my appetite (It was right around dinner time) and I couldn't really sleep that night.
I saw Jurassic Park 2 in 1st grade, and that night, I had a dream that there was a T. Rex on my playground. :shock:
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by RED51 »

ShadowWing wrote:
GangsterJawa wrote:I don't watch horror movies as a rule.
Same here.
GangsterJawa wrote: The first was Jurassic Park. The dinosaurs, at the time I watched it (I was 12.... which is kinda embarrassing actually) were just kinda scary, at least at night. Of course, it didn't help, that the VERY NEXT DAY after I watched it, the power went out. I completely lost my appetite (It was right around dinner time) and I couldn't really sleep that night.
I saw Jurassic Park 2 in 1st grade, and that night, I had a dream that there was a T. Rex on my playground. :shock:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I dunno about you, but this is what I would have tried to do. :P Think of all the playground games that would get so much cooler!
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Funny how movies that aren't meant to scare are better at doing it than the ones that are.