Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Has anyone seen it yet? I've heard some good things about it. A friend of mine just went to see it and said it was better than she expected. That seems to be the general consensus among the reviews I've skimmed through. The original Planet of the Apes has always been one of my favorites (though I only saw the first one, none of the other sequel/prequels/reboots). I find it surprising that this actually has the same rating as the original on imdb (though I'm aware they're completely different plotlines, this one acting as a pseudo-prequel. But still, even then Conquest of the Planet of the apes, which is the closest resembling plotline to this new movie rated much lower). I plan on seeing it within the next few days. (Put spoilers in hide tags please, as always)
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I was just thinking of making this exact topic just 12 hours ago.

I don't really know if its a spoiler, so I will be as vague as possible. I have not seen it, but just hearing what the story is about leads me to this conclusion.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes is one of the most un-original movies to ever exist. I know nothing is orginal anymore, but this movie steals almost its entire plot from two movies. Basically, its I Am Legend meets Deep Blue Sea, but with apes. So if you like those movies, you'll love this.

I have seen every movie in this series so far. The only good one to me is the original. That was a great movie. The rest have sucked so bad.

That's my opinion, take it or leave it.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Okay, maybe the cure for alzheimer's thing may be unoriginal, but I'm pretty sure that this is supposed to be a prequel to the original planet of the apes, so I'm not entirely sure the comparison to I Am Legend is entirely fair.
I, for one, really want to see this movie. I've heard nothing but good things about it and James Franco's one of my favorite actors, not to mention that I want to see why everyone is so excited about Andy Serkis' voice acting. Besides, when both the fans and critics say a movie's good on Rotten Tomatoes, it usually is.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:Okay, maybe the cure for alzheimer's thing may be unoriginal, but I'm pretty sure that this is supposed to be a prequel to the original planet of the apes, so I'm not entirely sure the comparison to I Am Legend is entirely fair.
Uhm. Okay, well being a prequel or not doesn't stop you from having a common major plotpoint in both movies. People attempted to cure something, the cure started killing people. And I don't remember calling it bad. I just said un-original. I kinda like I Am Legend, if, and thats a big IF, I watch the alternate ending version.
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

Depending on how vague you wanna be, there hasn't been a truly original movie in a decade or so. The details are what make 'em different.

I saw it. I was good.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:Okay, maybe the cure for alzheimer's thing may be unoriginal, but I'm pretty sure that this is supposed to be a prequel to the original planet of the apes, so I'm not entirely sure the comparison to I Am Legend is entirely fair.
Uhm. Okay, well being a prequel or not doesn't stop you from having a common major plotpoint in both movies. People attempted to cure something, the cure started killing people. And I don't remember calling it bad. I just said un-original. I kinda like I Am Legend, if, and thats a big IF, I watch the alternate ending version.
That wasn't original when I Am Legend came out. It hasn't been original since comic books existed, if not earlier.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

i am legend is from a charlton heston movie called omega man, its a direct ripoff 98%, also planet of the apes is a charlton heston movie so this is all just a redo concept of anything he ever did that didnt suck (i.e. nra sux) , his best movie is soylent green which makes all these movies look like la bamba.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

The concept may not have been new, but I Am Legend is the first one to pops in my head that used that concept.

I guess in the end I just hate Apocalypse movies.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

When I first saw the TV spot for this film, I just had to watch it. It looks like a really interesting concept, but I'll wait until the movie comes out on DVD as usual.
Hidden/Spoiler:
[list][*]I want to see how Tom Felton's character dies. From what I've heard, he's basically playing Draco Malfoy still.
[*]I saw an exclusive scene on Youtube where Caeser attacks a man who was picking on his caretaker: I love how the intelligence enhancer makes Caeser pound on people with his fists rather than maul or tear them up with his hands.[/list]
Raptor522
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Raptor522 »

AQT wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[list][*]I want to see how Tom Felton's character dies. From what I've heard, he's basically playing Draco Malfoy still.[/list]
Hidden/Spoiler:
I KNEW he looked like Malfoy. Forgot to look that up afterward to see if I was right, though. XD So thanks for that.
Also, I wanna throw out there that it was during this movie that I first experienced a theater go dead silent. 'Twas kinda weird. lol
Hidden/Spoiler:
When Caesar first yells "NO!"... both the movie and the audience went totally silent. I muttered, "Oh, [fudgecakes]" to my friend as a joke at this; it ended up being quite audible, and apparently amusing, to everyone else. lulz
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Raptor522 wrote:
AQT wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[list][*]I want to see how Tom Felton's character dies. From what I've heard, he's basically playing Draco Malfoy still.[/list]
Hidden/Spoiler:
I KNEW he looked like Malfoy. Forgot to look that up afterward to see if I was right, though. XD So thanks for that.
Also, I wanna throw out there that it was during this movie that I first experienced a theater go dead silent. 'Twas kinda weird. lol
Hidden/Spoiler:
When Caesar first yells "NO!"... both the movie and the audience went totally silent. I muttered, "Oh, [fudgecakes]" to my friend as a joke at this; it ended up being quite audible, and apparently amusing, to everyone else. lulz
My friend stood up and screamed YES at the screen during that scene.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

guru wrote:i am legend is from a charlton heston movie called omega man
Wrong, it's from a book written in the 1940's of the same name and it was about vampires instead of zombies. The title came from how Robert Neville was a legend to the vampires and how they saw him as something of a boogeyman because he killed them indiscriminately.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

Probably.. I'm sure that was based on pages in the bible years before... I have no clue about books from world war 2 era lol... Also I never read... The point is if you watch omega man you are watching I am legend but with a better actor and better ending.. This new ape movie is a mishmash of Heston movies if you think otherwise you read too many old books.

Either way I'm just glad Harry potter is gone 4 evva. Kkthxbbye
Wonderboy
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Making apples into applesauce
Games I'm Playing :: Age Of Empires II

Post by Wonderboy »

I thought this movie was good. The animation of the hominids was fluid, and overall it was a good looking film. I would recommend this film even if there are similarities to other films.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Pshhh, a movie with characters? I've seen that like, a hundred times. What if, instead of characters, we had emotions? I'll let you guys sleep on that one.

^thats basically what you guys sound like.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Grev wrote:Pshhh, a movie with characters? I've seen that like, a hundred times. What if, instead of characters, we had emotions? I'll let you guys sleep on that one.

That's not why I don't want to watch it. I don't want to watch it because Caesar the chimp looks frikkin' creepy.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Grev wrote:Pshhh, a movie with characters? I've seen that like, a hundred times. What if, instead of characters, we had emotions? I'll let you guys sleep on that one.

That's not why I don't want to watch it. I don't want to watch it because I find stories like these to be stupid and idiotic.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

*Points out the creepiness of the fact that WULF and Squoob both started their posts with the exact same 1 and half sentences.*
Eaol
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Warframe

Post by Eaol »

GangsterJawa wrote:*Points out the creepiness of the fact that WULF and Squoob both started their posts with the exact same 1 and half sentences.*
That's really creepy...
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

I just got back from seeing it and it was quite good. There wasn't really any part of the movie I was dissatisfied with. It handled everything very well, all very seriously and consistently, leaps and bounds over the last reboot. They even managed to getting away with a number of references to the original without sounding cheesy, but actually to rather good effect.

For example:
Hidden/Spoiler:
"Get your stinkin' paws off me you d*** dirty ape!" ... "NNOO!" Perhaps others found that a bit more predictable than I, but I was still surprised by it.
The acting was...good, nothing spectacular, but all the characters were believable though the script was a little bumpy in one or two areas (particularly a few line of Jacobs', but they weren't that bad). The motion capture animation used on all the apes was great, believable and realistic, though they all had that CGI smoothness to them. However, living things, particularly with fur, have always been hard to animate. It does the franchise well and avoids the campy-ness of the original series, particularly the prequel/sequels made in the 70s, which the plot of this film is very loosely based on. I look forward to the next in the series, and I'm interested in what directions they take.
THEWULFMAN wrote:Rise of the Planet of the Apes is one of the most un-original movies to ever exist. I know nothing is orginal anymore, but this movie steals almost its entire plot from two movies. Basically, its I Am Legend meets Deep Blue Sea, but with apes. So if you like those movies, you'll love this.
As for its originality, it's not going to win any contests seeing as this is a reboot...of a prequel...to a film that was based on a novel... Still though I think going as far to say that is the least original film ever made is a little bit extreme. We have Romantic Comedies to thank for that (not that Rom-Coms are all bad, but you get what I'm saying). While the Alzheimer's bit is more or less the same from Deep Blue Sea, to be honest, this film did it much better, even if it was at all influenced by that movie (Deep Blue Sea isn't exactly the most noteworthy film ever made... I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a cooincidence). To be honest, I really see no similarity at all between this and I Am Legend beyond them both being apocalyptic in nature. You could just as easily pin similarities between it and 28 Days Later...except with apes instead of zombies. That's kind of besides the point, this is a very common topic of sci-fi. Planet of the Apes has always been one of the more outlandish apocalyptic/post-apocalytpic of the stories (compared to the very bitterly realistic The Road). Unless people prefer the camp of the original, I'd say that they might be on their way of improving the original franchise with this reboot, a rarity to say the least.

This all being said...it'd still be nice to get more original sci-fi plotlines out there like Moon...but I'll settle for this, as Planet of the Apes (at least the original film) has always been one of my favorites, and it's nice to see it have a little justice served for it after that awful abomination of a film.