Musical Suggestion/Review Thread

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Musical Suggestion/Review Thread

Post by Grev »

I've decided to resurrect an old thread I once posted up. We have the "What'cha listening to?" thread, but we don't have a thread to actively discuss music, as well as suggest and/or ask for musical suggestions.

So here is that thread. Post up your suggestions/reviews. You can be as concise or as verbose as you want, and it can be about individual songs, albums or even artists.

---------------------------My Actual Post--------------------------------
Who Can It Be Now - Men At Work
I've recently fallen into the habit of listening to random songs I hear on the radio. This is one of those. It's a really jazzy song, with a bit (very tiny bit) of a grungy sound. The video accompanying the song is just plain funny, and if you're into that sort of stuff, reminiscent of scenes from Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Pulling Mussels From a Shell - Squeeze
Tempted - Squeeze
Annie Get Your Gun - Squeeze
Squeeze sounds a whole lot like the Beatles, just ramped up a bit. The songs are just fun to listen to, and are really catchy. I keep finding myself singing them. Squeeze is actually kind of reminiscent of Vampire Weekend, but older and more Beatles-ey.

10 O'clock Postman- Secret Service
It's old disco. My parents actually just showed this to me, and it's hella catchy. It's kind of campy, but it's fun to listen to.
Wonderboy
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Making apples into applesauce
Games I'm Playing :: Age Of Empires II

Re: Musical Suggestion/Review Thread

Post by Wonderboy »

The Social Network Soundtrack
The soundtrack is very ambient and it's eerie, yet it's very relaxing (To me, Painted Sun in Abstract). It's my second favorite soundtrack.

The Up Soundtrack
Up is one of, if not my favorite movie. The soundtrack really gives the movie emotion, and it does a good job of repeating the motifs throughout the movie.

The Secret Service song is in fact "hella catchy" lol.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

Is This It - The Strokes

That's all for now.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

We have a "What are you listening to" thread specifically for listing songs and only listing songs...
Saying "That is all" is neither an intelligent suggestion or review. What is my incentive for listening to it? WHAT is it? Will this song satisfy my need for complex, heavy percussion? Are the lyrics so moving that I will feel the need to preach my thoughts to everyone who will listen?

Now, *I* personally think that you should listen to
The Artist in the Ambulance
By Thrice

The lyrics really made me think about my perspective on life. Was I living life the way I wanted to? Would I be satisfied with the things I've done if some accident were to tragically affect me, if not by death then by drastically changing my life as I know it?
Plus, it's a good song, musically. I respect Thrice's drummer greatly, even though this song does not show off his full potential. I'm not saying he's the best drummer in the world, but he definitely adds passion to the group's music. A better example of this would be in
Image of the Invisible

If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend watching Image's music video as well as listening to it. It's about an underground rebellion/rescue in a post-apocalyptic world. VERY interesting.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

I'd highly recommend listening to Faunts, especially their album M4.

Something else that's always freaking awesome to listen to is Inception: Pemiere Live Concert.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

If you like instrumental piano, look up Kyle Landry on YouTube. He does arrangements of common/popular pieces as well as original work.

I recommend this one.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

I don't like mainstream rap much, but recently, I've found some of what I call "social justice rap" that I really like. It's largely underground stuff, but it's great.

Orbitron - Have Faith
This song doesn't really resound with my, because I haven't experienced what the song is about (poverty, family problems, racism), but it really is interesting to listen to. The rapper sounds really sincere, so it's a nice change of pace from most of the garbage-y anthem-rap that everyone seems to listen to nowadays.

Orbitron - Restless
This song is about unfulfilled potential, so it struck home with me, as I imagine it can with many others. Like "Have Faith," it's also very sincere.

Hypothesis
Hypothesis is a band I found ages ago via Machinima. The HALO machinima Phil used some of the instrumental/back-beats to these guys' raps, and I've been following ever since. It's basically a troupe of college kids; the music backing the rap is mostly based in funk/jazz. The rap itself appeals to me because a lot of the lyrics hit home - not only are they cleverly written, and being into English, that appeals to me, but they're all about school and my age, while not wildly glorifying drugs and illegal activity. The school that the rapper attends is also a prospective school for me, so I've got that connection. Definitely worth checking out.
Thire
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Thire »

Ratatat - Wildcat

The group Ratatat has a really cool mellow feeling, yet the music drives itself and pulses very nicely. It's just two guys as far as I know, and it's all instrumental. But it the way the song picks up around the two minute mark is awesome.
Snork
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Minecraft

Post by Snork »

I saw Buckethead last night, for the second time. One of the best guitarists in the world, up with Vai and Al di Meola. Or at least, I think he is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYxrdrzmuUw

His guitarwork is brilliant, and he isn't just rehashing some older guitarist. I can't say I've heard anyone who plays quite like him before. In addition to shredding or heavy songs he also does a lot of mellow songs, especially on his more recent albums. Lots of acoustic and noodly stuff.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Luckily (usually) for me, my dad buys tons of new albums that seem interesting. Recently, he picked up Lungs, by Florence+The machine.
It's hard to say what I like about the album, but it's, for lack of a better word, triumphant. The lead singers voice is just so piercing, it gave me chills the first time I heard it. Somehow, the band always manages to sound glorious and triumphant, like they just trudged through a battle in the Middle Earth. If you've heard of F+TM, you've probably heard the song Dog Days or Kiss with a Fist. Dog Days is a better representation of the album Lungs, although there are some significantly better and more powerful songs on the album. A lot of the songs are on Vevo, and definitely warrant a listen.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

SBF_Dann_Boeing wrote:I'm a big fan of progressive rock so the obvious suggestions from me are:

Supper's Ready by Genesis

Tank by Emerson, Lake, & Palmer

A Song for Jeffrey by Jethro Tull

The Runaway & Experience By Gentle Giant
I don't mean to get off-topic: but is there any chance you'll reupload your music?
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

I could, but I'm a bit busy. PM me, I'll send you a link if I get a chance to upload it, this goes for anyone else as well.

A couple more obvious song suggestions:

Aqualung by Jethro Tull

The Raven by Alan Parsons Project

Watcher of the Skies by Genesis

Paper Wings by Barclay James Harvest

Also, wouldn't this better fit under the media category?
Snork
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Snork »

Dann, I always knew you were awesome. Gentle Giant, Yes and Genesis. What more could any man want?
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Snork wrote:Dann, I always knew you were awesome. Gentle Giant, Yes and Genesis. What more could any man want?
Supersister, Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, Premiata Forneria Marconi, Van der Graaf Generator, Gong, Pink Floyd, The Strawbs, Mike Oldfield, and King Crimson
Snork
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Snork »

Hahaha, fair enough!

Swing is awesome. Metal is awesome. It stands to reason that Swing Metal is twice as awesome! Or awesome^2, I don't know. Anyway, the Diablo Swing Orchestra is epic, basically! I have never heard any band that sounds like them. If you like it as much as I did, you can download it LEGALLY for free at http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/49216.

Here is the best sample of their style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsmAF9cVPm4

Edit: They have another album out too but I haven't listened to all of it yet. Check that out too.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

My Uncle recently showed me this song, and I think it's an awesome song. It's Rock+ Saxaphone (which there is a sad lack of in most recent music), and it's basically about two friends going into two radically different directions; the video really helps convey the idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUX0y4E ... re=related
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Slick Stuff -The Becker Brothers
A very cool, complex song to play. Also very enjoyable to listen to. Includes a fantastic solo by the late Saxophonist Michael Brecker.

Dr. Funkenstein - Parliament
Simply one the the funkiest songs ever, and one of my faves. From "The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein", 1976.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clones ... unkenstein
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Cerfon Rournes wrote:Slick Stuff -The Becker Brothers
A very cool, complex song to play. Also very enjoyable to listen to. Includes a fantastic solo by the late Saxophonist Michael Brecker.

Dr. Funkenstein - Parliament
Simply one the the funkiest songs ever, and one of my faves. From "The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein", 1976.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clones ... unkenstein
It's not funk, but it has a similar kind of feel. It's very bouncy and cool, a summer anthem of sorts. The subject matter is questionable near the end, but otherwise it's a really cool song, and the video accompanying it is great.

Whoo! Alright! Yeah! Uh-huh! - The Rapture
http://vimeo.com/221693
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Grev wrote: It's not funk,...
You sure? I don't think so..
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="Wikipedia - Dr. Funkenstein"]"Dr. Funkenstein" is a song by the funk band Parliament...Genre: Funk, funk rock, psychedelic soul.[/quote]
[quote="Wikipedia - Funk"]Funk de-emphasizes melody and harmony and brings a strong rhythmic groove of electric bass and drums to the foreground. Funk songs are often based on an extended vamp on a single chord, distinguishing it from R&B and soul songs, which are centered on chord progressions..... funk typically consists of a complex groove with rhythm instruments such as electric guitar, electric bass, Hammond organ, and drums playing interlocking rhythms. Funk bands sometimes have a horn section of several saxophones, trumpets, and in some cases, a trombone, which plays rhythmic "hits".[/quote]
If you hear the song again, it has everything stated in the above. Also, my father (Who has been a musician for +40 years), can assure you that the song is funk.