Man of Steel

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Man of Steel

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

I've never been a big fan of Superman. I don't know why, I just haven't. It's the sort of inner hatred you have for the rich, pompous snob in school. You're not really jealous, you're perfectly content with what you have (in this case, Batman), but you want nothing more than to see him trip down the stairs and take his ego down a notch. And you can't really justify that feeling, especially if the rich snob is actually a pretty nice guy who just happens to get everything he wants.

Superman's just the "do everything" superhero, and I always thought that to be a real buzzkill. It limits the choices of conflicts as there aren't many things that can stop him, and creates a whole bunch of "well why didn't he just do this and prevent everything from happening at all?" situations.

That being said, I'm excited to see Chris Nolan's take on it. He certainly did the Batman story justice without necessarily sticking RIGHT to the source material. And if someone has the ability to do that with Batman, then I have faith in this upcoming movie as being something I will enjoy.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Superman's just the "do everything" superhero, and I always thought that to be a real buzzkill. It limits the choices of conflicts as there aren't many things that can stop him, and creates a whole bunch of "well why didn't he just do this and prevent everything from happening at all?" situations.
I think that it's always important for a story to have your character struggling against something, which is why the best Superman stories use the physical aspect of the character as flavor but not substance. I think that those of us who really like Superman do so in the context of him being a paragon of good against a world of grey and black. There's a great storyline ("What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" - which is also a DCAU story: "Superman vs. the Elite") that makes a really good summary of the point.

I'd love for this movie to do something similar, but it looks like in an effort to make Superman relatable to the average Joe, they're making him an average Joe. Superman's at his best when he stands out both morally and physically - no shades of grey. To really work well - or at least to work well for me - I think Superman needs to unironically embrace the pulpier aspects of his character: the "Boy Scout" mentality, the unwavering optimism, and, yeah, the bright, bold colors in his costume. Chris Nolan has a great pulse in his movies for a character like Batman (who plays gritty really well), but I think a Superman story needs to be more bold and fun - Marvel's recent stuff has done a lot of this. Superman in a movie can't be a reluctant, moody hero - he needs to be sure about what he's doing and optimistic for his cause.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I still don't trust Zach Synder's ability to make a good movie. Last one of his I saw was Sucker Punch, and that was god awful(I can't overstate how much I hate that movie). Least he isn't the writer this time, should make a big difference.

Here's to hoping Nolan has a lot more power.
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Man of Steel - In theaters June 14th

Post by Jendo7 »

This is definitely the most anticipated film of the year for me. I grew up watching Christopher Reeve in the original movies which are hard to beat especially Superman II. Hopefully this movie will kick off a new series and redeem the franchise from the awful Superman Returns.

Man of Steel - Official Trailer 3

Man of Steel - Official Trailer #2

Man of Steel - TV Spot 5

Man of Steel - TV Spot 4
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Man of Steel - In theaters June 14th

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

I thought I remembered ranting about the big, blue Boy Scout a while ago....
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 50&t=28370
Jendo7
Sith
Sith

Post by Jendo7 »

Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

I saw this a few days ago and I think it is partially relevant to the topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=desb0W6u80Y

After all, it does have superman in it...