Gotham

Share videos, pictures, art, and other forms of media!

Moderator: Moderators

Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Gotham

Post by Marth8880 »

Just finished the ‪Gotham premiere. Was not at all impressed. I disliked the music, I disliked most of the characters other than Gordon, The Penguin, and Bruce (though Gordon didn't have glasses?!? Seriously?!? And where the heck was Falcone's accent?!?) and I was especially disappointed by Alfred's character, the writing was boring as hell and all over the place - overall not very good, but I'll give it a season I suppose...

Another note on the writing: It certainly did *not* feel like a pilot episode to a show in any way at all. It felt as if the show was in its mid-season and we were already supposed to know almost everything about what was going on.

Any opposing or similar thoughts on this new show? :o
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Re: Gotham

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

In case we aren't assuming this entire thread is under a spoiler tag
Hidden/Spoiler:
I didn't like how Jim Gordon's fiance was named Barbara. Either she's gonna bite the bullet and he names his first daughter after her, she names her daughter after herself (weird), or there's not gonna be Batgirl in this universe.
For a Pilot, I thought it was decent. I'll hold my judgements about the episodes and characters until we get further into the season.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I didn't like how Jim Gordon's fiance was named Barbara. Either she's gonna bite the bullet and he names his first daughter after her, she names her daughter after herself (weird), or there's not gonna be Batgirl in this universe.
I haven't seen the episode and can't really comment, but that's a pull straight from Batman: Year One. It's not out of nowehere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Year_One

The same character was tapped for Nolan's Batman, although I don't believe the character was named anywhere other than the credits.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

So. From what I'm getting from Wikipedia. In the Year One arc, Jim Gordon is originally married to Barbara Gordon, but after he has an affair with young detective Sarah Essen, she leaves the city and they eventually divorce. Sarah and Jim marry. But, also according to Sarah Essen's Wikipedia article, Barbara Gordon (Jim's daughter) is Sarah's step daughter? What's going on here? Who is Barbara Gordon, the younger?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:So. From what I'm getting from Wikipedia. In the Year One arc, Jim Gordon is originally married to Barbara Gordon, but after he has an affair with young detective Sarah Essen, she leaves the city and they eventually divorce. Sarah and Jim marry. But, also according to Sarah Essen's Wikipedia article, Barbara Gordon (Jim's daughter) is Sarah's step daughter? What's going on here? Who is Barbara Gordon, the younger?
In the Year One movie, Jim Gordon has the affair but doesn't divorce his wife. Jim just ends the affiar, fixes it up with his wife (or at least tries) and they power through it. Not sure how different the movie is from the book, though. (You should watch it by the way! It's really good, and Gordon is voiced by Bryan Cranston! BRYAN CRANSTON!)
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Who is Barbara Gordon, the younger?
Jim's niece, adopted as a daughter after the death of her parents (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gord ... 2_Gordon_2). You should know by now that Bruce only hangs out with people whose parents are dead.

Comics backstories are weird. I'm pretty sure that Gordon never actually divorces his wife in Year One (although I've only seen the animated movie); it just happens some time later on in the history/future.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

See, I thought she was his niece (thanks to Kids WB's The Batman), but this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbara_Gordon) just says daughter at the beginning. And comic book canon is tricky, so I wasn't sure if I was thinking of a different timeline.
And by "Year One arc", I meant Year One and the stories that follow Year One, so yeah, it happens later on in the history/future. But that is now beside the point.

So. Jim and Barbara have a son, Jim, and an adopted daughter, Barbara. Comic book writers are weird.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

I've really been enjoying this series. I hate Barbara, however. I'm really loving the portrayals of Harvey Bullock and the Penguin.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Being someone who owns all the Frank Miller and Alan Moore Batman additions, i'll say this; they are not relevant to the normal DC timeline, before the New 52 or after. But, they are still good reads, like Alan Moore's Killing Joke.
On Topic, I am quite enjoying the show; they are hinting at characters and plots that Batman will later face, but not unraveling them, as Batman unravels it himself. Yes, Comgor needs his glasses. Yes, John Pertee's kid is a terrible Alfred. But I am great to see characters like Bullock and Montoya from the 80's-90's era of Batman comics. So I think I will finish the season, and see how things end up.

EDIT: Also, is anyone watching SHIELD? I missed the first season and was wondering how it is. I have Arrow and Flash recorded, waiting to start them.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Agents of SHIELD is amazing. Easily the best of these types of shows.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh.
Don't get me wrong, I really like Agents.
Hidden/Spoiler:
But this season, they were one or two episodes away from dragging out the "WHAT ARE THESE MYSTERIOUS SYMBOLS AND COULSON IS GOING CRAZY" spiel waaaaay too long. Between that, Skye's father, and Ward's brother, there were just too many vague "something is going on that we will reveal later" mysteries going on. At least now we know something about the symbols, but it's still pretty ambiguous.
Personally? I think the Flash is doing the best job so far this season. Agents will probably pick up during the second half of the season, as will Arrow when it finally decides what the main story/villain of this season is going to be. And I have my own problems with Gotham that I can't quite pinpoint. It's good, it's just not fantastic. But the Flash is doing a SUPERB job, in my opinion, of setting up characters, hype for the future of the season, and making you genuinely concerned for what's going to happen each episode. Just remember, Kingpin, when watching Arrow and Flash, to watch both shows as if they're one show, and watch them in the order they aired. Cuz there's some crossover.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Twilight_Warrior wrote: Just remember, Kingpin, when watching Arrow and Flash, to watch both shows as if they're one show, and watch them in the order they aired. Cuz there's some crossover.
Yeah, I heard it was like the final seasons of Next Generation when they started airing Deep Space Nine. I just have too many shows to watching. I am watching all of Dexter from season 1-8, and that is amazing, also doing Star Trek Enterprise from the top (the only Star Trek I have not seen yet), plus all the current shows I am keeping up with. And on the topic of Superhero shows, anyone watching Constantine?
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

I stopped watching SHIELD after a few episodes. I don't know why. I guess I just couldn't keep up with it. I may give it another go later.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I don't know why I didn't notice this topic. I'm watching Gotham, SHIELD, Flash and Arrow as far as comic book shows go.

Gotham is a C+ show with an A+ character, Penguin. If it wasn't for him, I might not be watching. Barbera's motivations are inconsistent and confusing to say the least. Penguin always has me guessing about what he's planning next. I liked Harvey Dent in last night's episode though.

Flash is alright, no big complaints.

Arrow is Arrow, never really saw the first season but watched all of the second season, third is a bit better I think.

And SHIELD.... once the first few episodes were out of the way, season one was really solid, but season two is a little shaky. I'm just glad we're getting closer to getting the Coulson symbols storyline finished.